Discs/Pads

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Eurocarparts are 45% off for the week and I'm looking at front discs and pads.

Am I right in thinking the Pagids are pretty much the same as OEM's?

Brembo discs are a bit cheaper than Pagid, but Pagid pads are quite alot cheaper than Brembo.

Got a few quotes for garage job and the parts quotes are about £400, with this discount I can buy Pagid pads, brembo discs and Pagid brake sensor for about £203.

2 different size pads come up though, I'm assuming the more expensive ones are the right ones? https://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-pads

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Eurocarparts are 45% off for the week and I'm looking at front discs and pads.

Am I right in thinking the Pagids are pretty much the same as OEM's?

Brembo discs are a bit cheaper than Pagid, but Pagid pads are quite alot cheaper than Brembo.

Got a few quotes for garage job and the parts quotes are about £400, with this discount I can buy Pagid pads, brembo discs and Pagid brake sensor for about £203.

2 different size pads come up though, I'm assuming the more expensive ones are the right ones? https://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-pads
Just had a look myself.

The £179.99 Brembo pads are for the 370mm 4 Pot Calipers, not the 340mm standard setup...

1597849656647.png

The £119.00 Bremo pads are the correct Brembo setup:

1597849874233.png

Reactions: Tonezz

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The OEM ones are made by TRW.

The TRW manufacturer’s part number for the 340 mm set up pads are GDB2114 and the discs are DF6133S (note front discs sold individually).

Front pads with VAG Pt no are c.£95 a set from TPS, but TRW aftermarket are c.£50 (eBay) to £70 (Amazon):

TRW GDB2114 Brake Pad Set, disc brake https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XYN4994/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A.vpFbYY38ZQE

I would also check to see if the front discs sold by ECP are sold individually not as a pair.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
The OEM ones are made by TRW.

The TRW manufacturer’s part number for the 340 mm set up pads are GDB2114 and the discs are DF6133S (note front discs sold individually).

Front pads with VAG Pt no are c.£95 a set from TPS, but TRW aftermarket are c.£50 (eBay) to £70 (Amazon):

TRW GDB2114 Brake Pad Set, disc brake https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XYN4994/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A.vpFbYY38ZQE

I would also check to see if the front discs sold by ECP are sold individually not as a pair.

When I put the reg on them pads it says they don't fit this car?

yea the discs are separate but I just looked on carparts4less and everything is half the price.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
@Damo H

The Pagid/Brembo pads both say integrated wear indicator, does that mean they have the sensor built on? There is no picture of either pads but also there is a Pagid sensor you can buy separately.

Also I've read some posts about people having trouble with retaining clips on some pads with this car?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Yes - the pads will have the wear sensor.

Also, if not too badly worn, you will also be able to pop the sensor off the old pads (fitted to right hand side of vehicle).

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Yes - the pads will have the wear sensor.

Also, if not too badly worn, you will also be able to pop the sensor off the old pads (fitted to right hand side of vehicle).

A set of Pagid discs and pads on carparts4less £156.61, bargain!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@black_sheep, are you sure that TRW are manufacturing their own pads and discs, yes they tend to be the manufacturers of exLucas callipers but VW Group also use ATE callipers and more recently Mando.

My wife's 2015 VW Polo has ATE front callipers, and was fitted at factory wit Jurid pads rebranded with ATE branding as they are effectively the supplier of teh front brakes for this car - that is just one example I was quoting that is all.
In the past ATE front callipers have been supplied to VW Group with either Textar or Pagid rebranded pads, same for rear exLucas now TRW callipers.

Going back to brands that ECP sell, I've bought and fitted Pagid discs and Pagid and Textar pads - Pagid discs do tend to be covered in a protective coating which is probably what VW Group call or class Geomec or Geotec, I've forgotten.

One thing to watch out for when buying from ECP, make sure that the pad kits you are buying if Textar or Pagid, are the kits that TMD Friction quote as being what is suitable for that car - TMD Friction = Textar = Pagid + Mintex.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@black_sheep, are you sure that TRW are manufacturing their own pads and discs, yes they tend to be the manufacturers of exLucas callipers but VW Group also use ATE callipers and more recently Mando.

My wife's 2015 VW Polo has ATE front callipers, and was fitted at factory wit Jurid pads rebranded with ATE branding as they are effectively the supplier of teh front brakes for this car - that is just one example I was quoting that is all.
In the past ATE front callipers have been supplied to VW Group with either Textar or Pagid rebranded pads, same for rear exLucas now TRW callipers.

Going back to brands that ECP sell, I've bought and fitted Pagid discs and Pagid and Textar pads - Pagid discs do tend to be covered in a protective coating which is probably what VW Group call or class Geomec or Geotec, I've forgotten.

One thing to watch out for when buying from ECP, make sure that the pad kits you are buying if Textar or Pagid, are the kits that TMD Friction quote as being what is suitable for that car - TMD Friction = Textar = Pagid + Mintex.

TRW are stamped all over the Cupra, FR front and rear callipers and on the OEM pads - excuse the filthy car; still pouring down!

Ate are fitted widely across VAG too, and occasionally there is a mix with TRW front and Ate on the rears, especially on Seat/Skoda lower hp models.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 120

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that what that is is TRW is the front and sometimes the rear brake assemblies supplier to VW Group, so they source the pads to supply and fit to their callipers and supply this kit to VW Group assembly lines, it will be their right to get their branding added to the pads they source to supply with the callipers ,that is all.

The lower HP cars get is they are lucky, ATE front brakes and TRW(exLucas) rear callipers with handbrake, if they are not lucky nowadays, especially the much lower HP cars, end up with Mando front callipers which seem to be roughly a copy of the old FS111 callipers - I would not dig too deeply for info on Mando, you might be disappointed or annoyed with money saving VW Group.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.