Dissapointed - Leon FR

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
1 day before i had to order a car, i did manage to get vauxhall to let me have the Astra SRi 150BHP Diesel sport hatch.

I wasn't hoping for much from it but i actually found this car to be better than the VW Golf in terms of drive. I had much more fun in this than the golf by a mile and serious considered getting one. I think Vauxhall are upping their game finally. There is of course cheap plastics but this is the new cool" PLus the sport button is so much fun! turn on, turn it off, turn it on....Its great (Simple things :redface: )

THe reason i didn't plump for the Sri was due to the blu tooth kit. The Vauxhall bluetooth kit replaces the drivers drink holder and Vauxhall reckon that you need a cradle that they don't supply or know who does?. (I managed to pair the phone without a cradle, shows what they knew) this seemed a lot of hassle.
There was also a matter of me wanting the extra body kit and i couldn't afford it.

But seriouisly id have a look, i was more than impressed as my previous experience with Vauxhalls have been depressing.

I am in no way trying to put you off the leon, as i say i ordered one. I think the main benefit of the Astra was its ride which was better than the leon in terms of comfort.

I was never thinking about the Astra 150 sporthatch (in my journey considering my company car) until I've just re-read your thoughts above & then I had another look at our new car lists - above Astra appears about 10% less per month rental than the Leon (both cars with the spec I want). I've put in on my list to consider & try out, rather than having not considered it previously.

I'm in exactly the same position now as you were when you started the thread - a number of options with no clear winner & it'll hopefully be fun for us to try them out & make a decision! Thankfully I've 2/3 months before decision has to be made.

I had a Mk1 Leon I really enjoyed but Mk2 is not selling itself to me.

Last edited:

wayner

i would get an astra xp kit 1.9 cdti 150 bhp 3dr or 5dr chuck a simple green box on it for £300 and hey presto you got yourself 200bhp!!!!!!

wayner

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Astras are good cars but the interior is very plain and if you buy one privately they depreciate like mad...

I had the previous style SRi and it lost 50% of its value in 2 years with slightly above average mileage. Some part ex offers were actually only 40% of what I paid.

Unfortunately the sports hatch is also a very common sight on the roads these days.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Astras are good cars but the interior is very plain and if you buy one privately they depreciate like mad...

I had the previous style SRi and it lost 50% of its value in 2 years with slightly above average mileage. Some part ex offers were actually only 40% of what I paid.

Unfortunately the sports hatch is also a very common sight on the roads these days.

Sorry, it wasnt exactly my most constructive post! :D

wayner

In a cr@p car....

(sorry)

well we all have our own experiences in differant cars i`ve owned 4 current model astra

2005 5dr 1.8 sri xp
2006 3dr 1.4 sxi xp
2006 260 bhp astra vxr
2007 5dr 1.8 sri xp

and i currently have a seat altea referance sport

all i can say is give me an astra over a seat any day of the week build quality is much improved on the astra that the cheap looking seat interior plus visually the astras xp look so much better than any seat i`ve seen i mean come on you dont even get side skirts on the cupra your flagship model

plus my altea has been back to the dealers 5 times in the 6 months we have owned it for warranty work!!!

i know you all like your seats thats why your on here and i respect that but we all have our own views and currently owning both cars i can make a fair asumption of the two makes of cars and i say vauxhall all the way

wayner

arjnoro

This is not a post only to justify me buying a Ibiza sport 2.0 yellow 2003 mod I 've driven my car for 60K. have had nothing, I mean nothing gone bad but the cable on the automatic windows (from factory) replaced on warranty. Drive it in the sonoran desert at 50 degrees celsius, live on the mountains in arizona -20 degrees. In the snow. Drive thru a canyon road to get there pure joy!!! had only one flat tire in 55 thousand kilometers!!! Dunlops 2000's. My dashboard has never cracked (tougher than VW) yes I'm in love with my car!!!

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
well we all have our own experiences in differant cars i`ve owned 4 current model astra

2005 5dr 1.8 sri xp
2006 3dr 1.4 sxi xp
2006 260 bhp astra vxr
2007 5dr 1.8 sri xp

and i currently have a seat altea referance sport

all i can say is give me an astra over a seat any day of the week build quality is much improved on the astra that the cheap looking seat interior plus visually the astras xp look so much better than any seat i`ve seen i mean come on you dont even get side skirts on the cupra your flagship model

plus my altea has been back to the dealers 5 times in the 6 months we have owned it for warranty work!!!

i know you all like your seats thats why your on here and i respect that but we all have our own views and currently owning both cars i can make a fair asumption of the two makes of cars and i say vauxhall all the way

wayner

So you havent got a Leon FR as per thread title then??

All I can say is if you've had 4 Vauxhalls in 2-3 years you cant have been that impressed with any of them.

Must admit I did consider the 888 version - but decided there were too many Astras on the road as it is...

wayner

So you havent got a Leon FR as per thread title then??

All I can say is if you've had 4 Vauxhalls in 2-3 years you cant have been that impressed with any of them.

Must admit I did consider the 888 version - but decided there were too many Astras on the road as it is...

the 888 have only approx 98 around!!!!! so you wont see many of them around!!

the sri xp and vxr have been mine and the others have been what the wife has had,

the one seat we have has been back to garage more times than all of the astras we have have and have had so to be honest my personal experience of seat has not been good local garage are a waste of time and so miserable i had to almost beg them to alow me to test a drive a car i was interested in!!!

and they call themselves salemen!!!!! come on

do they want my money or not!!!!

i think exterior look the seat is on par with the sri but interior and build quality i was expecting better and more from a vag group car

wayner

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I think this is all down to how good the local dealers are and personl preference.

I must have test driven various T04 Astra's about 4 times now, I have been that close to buying one twice.

In my oppinion the interior on the Astra is just too plain. As soon as I sat in the Leon I loved the interior.

My T98 Astra had its fair share of niggly little problems. SEAT seem keen to fix faults, VX refused to fix the headlight on mine that kept condensating up.

I also find the Astra is expensive to get a good spec. E.g. Cruise Control used to be standard on the 1.8 Astra but they dropped it as standard when the current model came out.

sr71blackbird

Hi why not try the new mazda 3 diesel in top spec offers 180bhp and 400nm of tourqe nothing ventured nothing gained