DIY Boost leak tester guide

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
I dont want to sound stupid but i am interested in making one of these for a mk2 leon 2.0 tdi ref spt however i still have all standard air box and pipe work so wondered if anyone knows what size pipe i would need to make one.

I know i could just measure it but havent had a chance yet so thought i would try here first

Last edited:

Asha

Jun 3, 2013
Redditch
I'm about to do mine after using this guide but I cant view the videos and I need to know, did you clamp the hose that comes from the bottom of the puck?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
I dont want to sound stupid but i am interested in making one of these for a mk2 leon 2.0 tdi ref spt however i still have all standard air box and pipe work so wondered if anyone knows what size pipe i would need to make one.

I know i could just measure it but havent had a chance yet so thought i would try here first

Anyone done this on standard air box and plastic hoses?

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Just a quick one and I apologise if this seems probably obvious but would there be any harm in trying these as a smoke test?

http://m.screwfix.com/p/smoke-pellets-5g-pack-of-10/64647?filtered=true

If so does anyone have any recommendations as to where to put them etc? You can get oil free ones so they shouldn't clog anything up in the system?

I was after people's thoughts as I still don't know how to boost leak test my car (I've not got any clue about turbo car's and don't want to make something worse)

My main problem is the PCV as I don't know what I'm looking for or what to use to blank it off?

I've tried following the guide on here but I've found sizes are seemingly different as the kit I bought to fit doesn't work as it's too big (I'm assuming test shown was on a LCR)

Cheers in advance

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Anyone able to add a guide for this on a standard air box and plastic hose setup? Would be much appreciated by many

SNOWZ

Mar 9, 2008
Hereford born and bred
Popped to local plumbers and bought a few things to make a bung, then got a tyre valve from tyre place next door and knocked this up. Bottle of soapy water and tyre pressure gauge and i was away

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Did you find your leak Snowz?

I've got one on my AUQ Leon as well but I'm not sure if it's TIP side, If I go in via the TIP what do I need to blank off and will it pressurise the entire system?

I followed the guide Robbie did then realised it's a LCR he's done it on so my tester kit's too big :(

jwal90

Sorry to revive an old post but I've just read through all 11 pages here and maybe it's because I didn't get a good nights sleep last night but I'm utterly confused.

I have an Mk1 AUQ LC - what is the simplest way of doing this!?

I understand I need to attach to TIP after the MAF and bung up the PCV. Can I pick up all the bits from my local DIY shop and what am I looking for?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.