DIY hardwire dashcam installation

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
So fitted a nextbase dash cam today and used the hardwire kit as in this post. And even when the keys are out the camera still stays on. I used the cigarette lighter slot of which I used the piggy back cable etc the hardwire kit that I have has a small square black box. Could it be that there's some power still in that which is why the camera is still on? Even when manually turning off camera the little blue light is still on indicating it's still receiving power. I'm gonna give it half n hour to see if it eventually turns off itself.

Hammy080

Mar 24, 2017
So fitted a nextbase dash cam today and used the hardwire kit as in this post. And even when the keys are out the camera still stays on. I used the cigarette lighter slot of which I used the piggy back cable etc the hardwire kit that I have has a small square black box. Could it be that there's some power still in that which is why the camera is still on? Even when manually turning off camera the little blue light is still on indicating it's still receiving power. I'm gonna give it half n hour to see if it eventually turns off itself.
Mine stays on for a minute or so after I've locked the car, I use the lighter supply in the fuse box. It turns on again when I unlock the car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Sounds like you've connected the camera to a perm live. Does the camera have a parking mode? Do you have a multimeter you can test the fuses you're connected to?

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Sounds like you've connected the camera to a perm live. Does the camera have a parking mode? Do you have a multimeter you can test the fuses you're connected to?
Yep! Literally went one notch too high! Moved down and all good! I shouldn't have tried to memorize the pic

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

scnash

Jul 26, 2017
Thank you.

Your explanation and pictures helped me be successful. I got off to a rocky start when I read my Owners guide which said that the fuse box is under the steering column, and then found some post that said it was behind the side panel on the driver's side. On my MkIII Leon FR it is behind the glove box, like yours. I have not been impressed with SEAT docs, but I do not know if others are better.

I needed a tool to get the cable into the lining. I improvised with a metal picture rail hook, but I'd recommend getting some sort of plastic tool, for lower risk.
I tried fuses F7 and F8 hoping they would be switched, but no joy. Getting those fuses out and in was also difficult due to space constraint. So I am back on F40 as it seems to be the only switched circuit in the box. I had avoided it before because I wanted that fuse in the always on position.

Thanks for making the effort to inform us.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Your explanation and pictures helped me be successful. I got off to a rocky start when I read my Owners guide which said that the fuse box is under the steering column, and then found some post that said it was behind the side panel on the driver's side. On my MkIII Leon FR it is behind the glove box, like yours. I have not been impressed with SEAT docs, but I do not know if others are better.

I needed a tool to get the cable into the lining. I improvised with a metal picture rail hook, but I'd recommend getting some sort of plastic tool, for lower risk.
I tried fuses F7 and F8 hoping they would be switched, but no joy. Getting those fuses out and in was also difficult due to space constraint. So I am back on F40 as it seems to be the only switched circuit in the box. I had avoided it before because I wanted that fuse in the always on position.

Thanks for making the effort to inform us.

The fuse box is one thing they no longer swap side to side. They leave it where the left hand drive versions have it. They don't print a right hand drive versions of the manual.

A multimeter or simple tester is what you need on your Christmas list.

I have two switched and one permanent in use, off the top of my head I can't remember which though.

Bobbajob

Sep 25, 2017
Thanks for the guide. I successfully fitted my camera yesterday.

Getting the side plastic cover back on was a pig, but I realised that there is a long plastic prong that hits just the point where I'd attached the transformer.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I used the cigarette lighter so it was ignition fed

lGOR7ew.jpg

Datawolf

Jan 6, 2018
France
I did this installation, thanks to terryt's explanations (thanks to him).
The hatch closure was hindered by the presence of the fuse holder. I had to
bend a plastic leg to close.
Did you not encounter this problem?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I did this installation, thanks to terryt's explanations (thanks to him).
The hatch closure was hindered by the presence of the fuse holder. I had to
bend a plastic leg to close.
Did you not encounter this problem?

Did you use the add a fuse as per the picture above in zeffania post and this stopped the glove box from closing?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
It's not in/behind the glove box, it's in the indoor fuse compartment.

I don't understand where you mean. The glove box and fuse box behind it are inside the car.
No other fuses locations to my knowledge are inside the car.

Datawolf

Jan 6, 2018
France
On right drive cars it is behind the glove box.

Unless you have a left hand drive car... then fuse box is behind a small cupboard/tray?

On left hand drive cars it's like this :-o

Damn, I event cant's post a picture ! [:@]

"You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more."

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
On left hand drive cars it's like this :-o

Damn, I event cant's post a picture ! [:@]

"You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more."

Annoying isn't it.

So yours is left hand drive?

If it's left hand drive that's why you are finding the issue i think.

The handbook I have has pictures of a left hand drive. Saving money not printing another book.

They move the steering wheel over for UK but the fuse box stays where it is.

My previous car, a MK5 Golf they used to move the fuse box too. All to do with more money saving.

Last edited:

Datawolf

Jan 6, 2018
France
I had another "issue" : the fuse tap requires 2 fuses (even if one only is delivered). I lost five minutes before getting it. lol

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I had another "issue" : the fuse tap requires 2 fuses (even if one only is delivered). I lost five minutes before getting it. lol

From memory this depends which way up you have it (the fuse tap) sometimes limited by what foys and if you have an existing fuse where you are tapping from.

Best to use a multimeter to test.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.