DIY hardwire dashcam installation

Happymac16

Mar 28, 2017
Portskerra, Highlands
Hi there.

I have recently bought a dash cam and it has arrived with 3 wires 1 is the 12v, 1 is the ground and the other is ACC. I what way would i go about connecting these up? Would i just use the 12v and the ground, or would the acc need to be connected in somewhere?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
Done after having to replace the nextbase cable which was a mini fuse adapter not the full size kind. Surprised that the black dotted area behind the mirror isn't textured so managed to stick onto that area and camera discretely sits behind mirror.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How did you get it to hide behind the mirror? If not too much trouble have you a picture?
I've a nextbase 312 and it's too large to sit behind the mirror discreetly, I have to go to the side o it :-(

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
If you want to record while ignition is off and camera supports parking mode then you will wire the 12v to a permanent live and the acc goes to a switched live. If no parking mode and you just want to record while ignition is on then just connect acc to switched live.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Munkie

Jan 16, 2017
How did you get it to hide behind the mirror? If not too much trouble have you a picture?
I've a nextbase 312 and it's too large to sit behind the mirror discreetly, I have to go to the side o it :-(
Hi. It's the 312 I have and it's ok. I just went out to take a photo or 2. Light is fading but you can hopefully still see.

First one from the passenger seat. You can't see it when sitting back in the seat. From drivers seat I can't see it at all. Camera auto switches on and off with ignition and on rare occasion I need to access the buttons I can tilt the mirror to access
966ac62dd1d556994c20e0b18fecf90b.jpg
1141e973bb9d5a27e577ae79df7ff164.jpg

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I went for a smaller cylindrical type camera with no display which just squeezes behind the mirror on driver side. It's not visible from passenger side but I can just see the edge sticking out from side of mirror. Doesnt distract me. Make sure you spec high enough in line fuses... I was blowing them for fun till I uped from 2 to 3a.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Just thinking using the same method to create a new usb socket, would it be possible to fit a wireless charging pad in the centre console with the wire running through the rear?

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
Hi. It's the 312 I have and it's ok. I just went out to take a photo or 2. Light is fading but you can hopefully still see.

First one from the passenger seat. You can't see it when sitting back in the seat. From drivers seat I can't see it at all. Camera auto switches on and off with ignition and on rare occasion I need to access the buttons I can tilt the mirror to access

Thanks Munkie,

By the looks of it because we have the different mirrors there is a difference in space between windscreen and mirror, mine is the bog standard stick on type where as yours is compatible or has auto lights and wipers, giving you more room.

Oh well, not the end of the world as I've now wired mine in, hid the wires but didn't go for hard wire as it might invalidate warranty so just ran the wire under trim panels until I got to the 12v socket and plugged it in there.

Thanks for the photo.

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
Just thinking using the same method to create a new usb socket, would it be possible to fit a wireless charging pad in the centre console with the wire running through the rear?

I just bought one of the step downs but with 2 usb female sockets on it, i was planning on using one of them for a wireless charger as my 'Dashcam' is a GoPro HD and looking at the draw its around 1A so that will leave 2As for the wireless charger (the one i have says 1.5A)

When i get round to it ill post up if its working or not

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I just bought one of the step downs but with 2 usb female sockets on it, i was planning on using one of them for a wireless charger as my 'Dashcam' is a GoPro HD and looking at the draw its around 1A so that will leave 2As for the wireless charger (the one i have says 1.5A)

When i get round to it ill post up if its working or not

Dont see why not. I ran two dash cams from a 3A converter.
Had to swap it for a cig lighter socket/adaptor because the stepdown converter killed my DAB signal.

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
Dont see why not. I ran two dash cams from a 3A converter.
Had to swap it for a cig lighter socket/adaptor because the stepdown converter killed my DAB signal.

I probably should've asked if anyone had trouble with things like that before i bought mine

Ah well it was only a couple quid so not too fussed if it doesn't work

right now ive got the cable behind the trim and plugged into the media in usb but if i try start the cam with it plugged in the media freaks out

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I probably should've asked if anyone had trouble with things like that before i bought mine

Ah well it was only a couple quid so not too fussed if it doesn't work

right now ive got the cable behind the trim and plugged into the media in usb but if i try start the cam with it plugged in the media freaks out

Think it will confuse it, it won't know to charge/power the camera or receive any output from the camera as if it's a computer reading the video files.

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
Think it will confuse it, it won't know to charge/power the camera or receive any output from the camera as if it's a computer reading the video files.

ive found it will charge it as long as the camera has been turned on before i plug the cable in

its only a temp solution just now just till i get the fuse piggyback and stepdown

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
So to clarify for my wireless charging idea - I'd need the same fuse piggy back thing, a fuse and the usb converter and set them up as per the original post. Then run the usb wire behind the dash and into the cubby hole in the centre console from the rear.

Should work fine? And not be permanently live?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
So to clarify for my wireless charging idea - I'd need the same fuse piggy back thing, a fuse and the usb converter and set them up as per the original post. Then run the usb wire behind the dash and into the cubby hole in the centre console from the rear.

Should work fine? And not be permanently live?

Yes. You choose if you want it live or switched live, depending where you plug it in the fuse box. Standard fuse or mini.

I have 3 add a fuse piggy backs in use. One for switched live dash cam, one for permanent live for it via a switch. (A manual parking mode if you like)
and also I added in a switched live cigarette lighter socket in the boot for use with a rear cam, or whatever really.

The other option of course (if you have it) is to come off from the centre console cigarette lighter, via either with a plug adaptor that doesn't look so neat or if the plug on the back may lend itself to spurring off it. Without cutting any original wires of course.

Last edited:

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Tried this today for my dashcam, no trouble getting the panels off but having a lot of aggro getting the door seal to sit back properly afterwards, any ideas?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Tried this today for my dashcam, no trouble getting the panels off but having a lot of aggro getting the door seal to sit back properly afterwards, any ideas?

From memory I used a small thin flat head screwdriver to help me hold the outer part of the seal out as I pushed the centre on to the car body. Start at the top and work your way down.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
From memory I used a small thin flat head screwdriver to help me hold the outer part of the seal out as I pushed the centre on to the car body. Start at the top and work your way down.

I would agree with Chris, gshaw. However I tucked the cable in without removing any of the seal. As per picture 8 on the first page.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I would agree with Chris, gshaw. However I tucked the cable in without removing any of the seal. As per picture 8 on the first page.

Agreed, I did do the same at the upper part of the door using a flat head screwdriver but didn't pull it off the car.

The only place I had to remove the seal from the door was to get the fuse box flap off to get proper access but its possibly not necessary to actually do that either.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Agreed, I did do the same at the upper part of the door using a flat head screwdriver but didn't pull it off the car.

The only place I had to remove the seal from the door was to get the fuse box flap off to get proper access but its possibly not necessary to actually do that either.

Not their best design!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.