DIY hardwire dashcam installation

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
Do you guys leave the unit in your car 24/7? Or take it out every time?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Do you guys leave the unit in your car 24/7? Or take it out every time?

My 0805 suffered when it got hot in the summer, the mount became loose fitting.

Not sure what to do this summer with my other cameras. Other than that yes stay in all the time.

Last edited:

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
I don't think I could level it in all the time. I'd be to paranoid it would get nicked and obviously the damage to get to the thing but I like the idea of a camera as well.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I leave mine in all of the time, I can see why people would take it out / hide it but it just seems a lot of effort every single journey.

Especially when I have a rear facing one too. Depends if people use the 'parking mode' or similar feature. I leave mine on recording when required.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I'm trying another camera a JooVuu X
Here's some pictures of a pretty hidden install. The mini 0805 is in addition for back up.

20160124_154745.jpg

20160124_155156.jpg

Deputy

Apr 20, 2015
West Yorkshire
Hi - just got a dashcam and going to hardwire it. My question on the install shown here on page 1 - doesn't it mean that the dashcam lead running across the top of the A pillar is then also going over the airbag which could cause deployment issues?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Hi - just got a dashcam and going to hardwire it. My question on the install shown here on page 1 - doesn't it mean that the dashcam lead running across the top of the A pillar is then also going over the airbag which could cause deployment issues?

Not ideal but a little cable will soon be pushed out the way with the rate the air-bag goes off. The trim over the a-pillar/air-bag is far tougher.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
You could always route the cable to the windscreen at the bottom of the a-pillar then up on the glass of windscreen. But not as neat/easy to hide.

Deputy

Apr 20, 2015
West Yorkshire
Thanks. Actually just checked by popping off the A pillar. On the MK3 Leon the side airbag is completely inside the headlining above the door frame and does not extend into the A pillar. The A pillar just contains wiring and foam padding. So no concerns over the dashcam lead going over the actual airbag.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks. Actually just checked by popping off the A pillar. On the MK3 Leon the side airbag is completely inside the headlining above the door frame and does not extend into the A pillar. The A pillar just contains wiring and foam padding. So no concerns over the dashcam lead going over the actual airbag.

Great, learnt something today!

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
I just hardwired my dash cam on my new Cupra 290. I disassembled the 12V car charger, soldered wires instead of the spring clamps on to the PCB and heatshrinked everything, so it takes much less space. 12V I took from the front sealing light unit, the charger is also mounted there, short wire from the lights to the cam (USB 5V). It took me about 1 hrs, but I have skills in electronics. After ignition the cam is switched on and no problems so far (5 days now). No long wires running anywhere.

coldplayfan

Jul 17, 2016
hardwire dashcam

Hi im.not realy up on electrical stuff but basicaly i want to hard wire my dashcam so as the motion detection parking mode can work when im away from the car.i have 2 wires for the job one is a 12v to 5 volt convertor and the other a piggy back fuse wire.pictured below.the charger cable on my dash cam is 3.5 metre.do i need anything else to do the job.any help appreciated thanks
Attached Files:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members