Do glow plugs differ from PD engine size?

platofan

Oct 12, 2009
I've just had a 105bhp head put on my 130 block, obviously had the 130 injectors put in the head but never changed the glow plugs because the head is quite new.

Now it sounds like i'm starting the car on ancient glow plugs...like when you turned the key on old diesels before the glow plug light goes out lol. Then it'll start after a bit, and if I stop the engine then start again, it'll be fine.

The old glowplugs always start fine so i'm assuming they were a match for the injectors??

Cheers

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Depends which engine your new head came from. Some pd heads have different length glowplugs. I don't think you want to be putting in a glow plug which is too long. That could make a mess.

Your problem sounds more like fuel starvation to be honest.

platofan

Oct 12, 2009
Right thanks. Just went and tried it and it was fine? Strange.

The plugs are off a BKC head but it's now an ASZ head (only changed the injectors). Doesn't sound major though, just an annoyance for now. I'll need to cross ref the part nos for the glow plugs.

Fuel starvation would make sense though, a bit of cranking until turnover.

Cheers Viking.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Glow plugs for the ASZ engine are M10x1x27 - part number N 105 792 01

Glow plugs for the BKC engine are M10x1x30 - part number N 105 916 02

3mm difference in length.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
It might be that the set you have fitted are too short so the head of the plug is not located directly in the cylinder, this would mean its not directly heating up the the mixture and retaining the heat away from it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.