Dodgy Paint!

hadz

Jan 30, 2005
West Sussex
I have had my ibiza cupra for a few months now and have started to notice that the paint is of really poor quality! my cupra is silver and on the front bumper just infront of the wheel you can see a patch that has gone kind of cloudy! it almost looks like they have skimped on paint when it was sprayed! to start i thought that it had been resprayed but then i noticed that the back was like it 2!

i spoke to another mate of mine with a black mk4 and he is having to have his bumper re-sprayed coz they have gone the same!

is this a common problem? has any1 else ever heard of this?

any help would be wicked!

hadz

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Some of the paint has faded on my Ovni cupra, i'm going to buy some meguiras 3 step stuff on the advice of a member on their forums.

If that doesn't work i'm going to take it to him to work his magic with his DA and hopefully get it look as good as new.

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
hadz said:
I have had my ibiza cupra for a few months now and have started to notice that the paint is of really poor quality! my cupra is silver and on the front bumper just infront of the wheel you can see a patch that has gone kind of cloudy! it almost looks like they have skimped on paint when it was sprayed! to start i thought that it had been resprayed but then i noticed that the back was like it 2!

i spoke to another mate of mine with a black mk4 and he is having to have his bumper re-sprayed coz they have gone the same!

is this a common problem? has any1 else ever heard of this?

any help would be wicked!

hadz

My front bumper has a flat spot or 'cloudy patch' as you put it, on either side and my side skirts are all orange peely and my boot has two little flat spots either side of the corners of the paint round the window! I thought may be its was a dodgy respray after someone had crashed it but think it must just be a dodgy original spray

I do wonder if the paint work was stronger whether the little 'rust spot' that a few people have found would not be there if the paint work around the window seals was better?

See this thread for details about the 'rust spot' thread im on about

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81482

I find mine chips SO easily as well

I think once i have done everything i want to do to the car i will get a full respray!

sirjimalot

JIM-MAN
Aug 10, 2005
County Durham
the side skirts are suposed to be all 'orange peeley' as you put it its not the paint, they have the same finish as the rub strips i am lead to believe. correct me if im wrong....

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
sirjimalot said:
the side skirts are suposed to be all 'orange peeley' as you put it its not the paint, they have the same finish as the rub strips i am lead to believe. correct me if im wrong....

Surely the 'orange peely' effect mine have is the same as other cars have when a spray job isnt done right? I thought that could happen sometimes?

r1cky

Banana Rama cupra car
Oct 12, 2004
yeah all mk3's have textured sideskirts i just presumed it was because mk2's had black plastic textured side skirsat and seat just kept using them, they do come primed if you buy a new set but they are textured.

any pics of these 'flat spots' in your paint? is it not somthing a good G3 compound and polish would cure?

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
r1cky said:
yeah all mk3's have textured sideskirts i just presumed it was because mk2's had black plastic textured side skirsat and seat just kept using them, they do come primed if you buy a new set but they are textured.

any pics of these 'flat spots' in your paint? is it not somthing a good G3 compound and polish would cure?

Im going to wash and wax my car on Saturday so ill take some pictures if you want then and show you? I can post them up on here cant i?

r1cky

Banana Rama cupra car
Oct 12, 2004
yeah you can post them on here, just use the little square insert image button when writing the msg. to link
wherever your pictures are eg: photobucket.

should be able to tell what the problem is from the pics.

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
r1cky said:
yeah you can post them on here, just use the little square insert image button when writing the msg. to link
wherever your pictures are eg: photobucket.

should be able to tell what the problem is from the pics.

Yeah i have photobucket already so ill post them up as links onto here once i have got some ;)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.