door locks not opening - fix?

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
im sure im not the first to have this problem or the first to post about it
but i have had this problrm for a while now
on 2010 uk leon

started of with the rear drivers side, then onto the front passenger. so the fix at that time was replace the module in both doors. that was grand for a while. rear driver is still good, but it doesnt get used much, so not much of a problem
but the front went again

at the time when i replaced them i just used second hand ones. still no big deal easy enough to let the other half in the car (if i wanted to mind lol)

well now the drivers door has went and that is a big deal, more a pain in than anything. so with that and the front passenger side. i had to get them fixed. can only hold down open button on the remote so many time before it does my head in

so off to ebay i go and get new parts, easy i thought with out looking at the part number, didnt really want to remove everything to get the part number
which is 1P2 837 01*

but i didnt know that at the time. so turns out you can get the wrong part very easy. wrong number of pins is the really problem

1P2 ITS RHD CAR 8PIN YOU NEED RHD
1P1 ITS LHD CAR 9PIN

so after buying 2 different locks for the 2 doors and 1 for rear door my mistake i had no working lock
so with the product number i head to google and there is no new locks for this car at all, only used sadly which im sure will end up like the front passenger lock, not working

so what i did was join the two locks together and make a new one
i did the drivers do and all seems good

i was wondering would anyone like pics or video of how to do it ?

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK

Hi a lot of us have used the WD40 trick and i had 3 of my doors do this and so went round all four of them did as in the video above and the locks all work fine just remembering to plug the hole the WD40 went into :)

Saved a lot of money doing it.

Reactions: stephen

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
That only works for a while
Had done that then they stopped working

So i took a new euro one and put it with the old one

You can change most things just keep the rear plug side of the module
Its easy enough like

I changed the motors and the lower metal section

Reactions: Ben P

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
I was having a look at the old module this morning and looking at the two motors that are in it
One of the, takes no force at all to spin and has a bit of a wobble to it

Take it that gave up. New motor in it now mind

Symon

Dec 23, 2011
Oxfordshire
I need to do this on a couple of my locks. The only problem I can see is that WD40 itself dries up quite quickly. It is not possible to use a small amount of WD40 to get things moving then put something like 3 in 1 oil in to keep it lubricated for longer?

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
I need to do this on a couple of my locks. The only problem I can see is that WD40 itself dries up quite quickly. It is not possible to use a small amount of WD40 to get things moving then put something like 3 in 1 oil in to keep it lubricated for longer?

I tired tried spray grease on mine, like what was on it
That last for a while

But one of the motors went in the end

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
What cause the locks to dry up, is it lack of use or simply something that happens over time regardless of use??

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
What cause the locks to dry up, is it lack of use or simply something that happens over time regardless of use??

just wear on it like any part
its a pretty sealed unit and it. maybe the grease mores out of place
but inside of the unit it is all plastic parts. do they need the grease

Reactions: Brimfull

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I put wd40 in all 4 of my doors about 11 months ago and they all still work after all but one being dead. See what winter brings lol

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
The winter is hard on them. There isn’t much protection in the door for them

As I said I think mine the motors went more than anything
Motors have to give up at some stage

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
right had a go at the last door this morning and i did front passenger door
took just over a hour from opening the door at first to closing the door

turns out the lager of the the two motors was the problem again

so below is a fellow photos and a small guide to changing a euro module with a uk module
for the 1p2 door lock module

first few photos
2018-12-11 09.30.42.jpg

2018-12-11 09.30.02.jpg
2018-12-11 09.31.07.jpg
2018-12-11 09.30.31.jpg

as you can see they are different
but they go together well and happy

all you need is star head / torx t10 and a flat metal spudger tool

first of remove the dark grey cover. it only has one has one star head in it. pull the latch open and remove the cover
remove the next 3 star head screw holding the base to the top section
at this stage to can left the plastic section a small amount above the metal. dont pull to hard. as there is two plastic clips holding them together and this is it.
use the flat metal spudger tool to pop them
here they are here
2018-12-11 11.30.40.jpg

you need to pop the green and yellow bars from the clips in the top section
there is a spring in each of them, and you dont want them to pop out if you can, just adds extra work.

so thats the two sections part from each other
2018-12-11 09.34.59.jpg

now on to the top plastic section
there is 8 torx t10 screws in this
un do them and put them to the side

you need the flat metal spudger tool again. go around the edge and separate the two plastic sections
dont go pulling this apart to fast

place the light white plastic down on your table. everything is in this section. so thats grey side up
remove the top grey section and you well see the insides

2018-12-11 09.48.43.jpg

this is where you will start to see the difference really
but the added new bits in the new lock are not needed
for this guide im only changing the motors

so you need the flat metal spudger again and your finger

so what your looking to do is
place your finder on the middle metal open spring towards which side your locking to remove the motor from
then take your flat metal spudger tool and lift up the motor. on the replace module the circuit is just on the service, so the motor clips might come with it. just pull them out

repeat for the second motor and try not to move the inside bits just to be safe

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
part 2

once the motors are in and if you want to add some more grease or the likes go ahead

2018-12-11 09.50.46.jpg

new motors in and out with the old

place the top dark grey cover on again. there is a track for the open spring to go in to so make sure the spring goes in to it

replace the 8 torx t10 screws back in

next up is the last hard bit. you dont have to use the new metal section but i wanted to might as well change them

2018-12-11 09.54.35.jpg

so take the top plastic section and put it back on top of the lower metal section
you will need open the out side door handle pulley, you can see it in the last photo
pull it open and lower the plastic on to it

remember the two clips you removed from the yellow and green bars from the old
well you need to reline them up and and use the flat metal spudger tool to lift them up

it might take a while to get them lined up but dont worry the old will go in to the new
i find it easier to do the lower one, as it more in your view than the top one

so line up the lower one and pop it in
line up the top one and pop int in

you will need to push the top section down as you do it
or put the top screw and screw in it a bit at a time to close the cap

once you have the two clips in make sure the black plastic arm on a spring in front of the clips is in the right place in front of the plastic peg and on top of the are

now put the rest of the base star head screws back in.

time to test
close the latch and pull one handle to make sure it works and do the same with the other
then take it back out to your car and try it locked and unlocked to make sure all is working

once working add the dark grey cover and the last star head screw

2018-12-11 10.00.43.jpg

put back in the car

job done

Reactions: Ben P

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
I have done something to stop the passenger door light coming on.
The led in the door isn’t working too don’t know if they are linked. But it did fall out when I was working on it. It’s like a wee plastic clip with metal tabs. So it might link it all up.

Think il need super glue

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
got the lock out and had a wee look at it
but couldnt see any problems with it

i changed the lower catch section to the original and that seemed to fix it for some reason
i couldnt see any problem but il get a good look

the old catch is covered in crap and dirt from over the years
but its working

and the led still not working, the pins and clips are pretty bad. dont know if you can get a replacement

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
Wee update from seeing another thread

Locks still working well
No problem or misfires from doing this
Touch wood lol

carpboy

Apr 2, 2008
Dorset
I just replaced my rear door lock due to the niot unlocking issue but unlocks from inside! Purchased an oem new one off eBay with a two year guarantee for £25 delivered. Solved the problem and was cheap! Replacing was a little bit of a pain though lol

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Went shopping earlier, door worked fine. Came back to car, rear passenger side door won't unlock (it's annoying enough having to do that stupid double unlock thing as it is) . It has the child lock on as well so I was worried I wouldnt be able to open it at all. For some reason though, you can unlock the door from the inside handle (unlock only, not open) and then you can open the door from the outside. As soon as you lock the doors with the central locking again, you can't open the door again until you pull the inside handle.

Does that sound like this issue?

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
These door locks issues are all the same issue

The the small motors in the locks just give up like anything
The outside handle needs to motor to move a arm to it can open
The inside doesn't need the arm. So you can still get out of doors are locked

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members