Downgrade to 18" alloys (Cupra 280)?

Mandrake

Oct 31, 2016
Hi all,

New member, and I'm sure this is heresy so before you grab the pitchforks please hear me out!

I'm in the market for a Leon Cupra ST, however I really don't want 19" wheels - I appreciate that for many people they are awesome but I prefer a less ostentatious look (as well as lower tyre costs!). I can't understand why SEAT doesn't give a choice of wheels for their flagship car, but there it is.

My questions:

1. SO...if I buy a CUPRA with 19" alloys, I would have to replace them myself, correct? Is there any resale value for the stock 19" wheels? I.e. would I be able to recoup the costs of shelling out on a set of 18" wheels?

2. Is it as simple as asking a garage to balance and fit the new 18" wheels? Are there any other factors, i.e. speedo calibration, suspension settings, etc.?

3. Is there a snowball's chance in hell of SEAT fitting 18's on request?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mandrake

Last edited:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
3. Ask and you'll know. Depends on dealer, but if you ask for 18" wheels from the 265 version at no cost, perhaps a good dealer might oblige.
2. No such thing, you get smaller wheels but a higher tyre, so 235/40R18 where the 40 instead of 35 compensates for the 18 instead of 19. /40 is by all accounts still a 'low profile' tyre.
1. I ordered the rims online delivered home, order the tyres online with fitting nearby (they can even come to your home) and just drove there with the rims in the boot.

I personally changed to OZ Ultraleggera 18x8" et45 which are an awsome 5kg lighter per corner than the standard 19". Not only do you save cost when changing tyres, you gain precious comfort (higher sidewall), better resolved damping (less inertia weight) and therefore better grip on uneven surfaces. And you get to choose the best tyre for your driving, I got PS4 in my case (fast road driving incl. in the wet, no track). Light weight also improves steering feel and might improve acceleration a bit. All the before might be far fetched for a rim 1kg lighter, but when you shave 20kg rotating unsuspended weight from your four wheels, the beneficial effects are most definitely felt.

Have a seach on ebay and see what the stock rims go for. Best of course if you haven't driven them, or very very little.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
i-6bqd4n6-XL.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members