DOWNSIDE alloys and INCREASE suspension height?

Oct 25, 2019
New here, be gentle...

I know this is a bit anti-Cupra in spirit, but:

1. My tyres are coming up to be replaced on my 19's, and I really don't benefit from 19's on the pot-holed roads I regularly travel on. So I was thinking of going down to 18's, but has anyone got any recommendations or pictures of an ST riding 18's? Or where I can pick them up? (ebay I guess).

2. This will get me the most stick… the car is a bit too slammed for me (it's stock), and I regularly carry a lot of heavy stuff in the back and of course it sinks even more then. I know, I know, get something dull with off-road suspension… but if I did want to raise the height by 10/20mm, are there springs from another model that I can use?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
New here, be gentle...

I know this is a bit anti-Cupra in spirit, but:

1. My tyres are coming up to be replaced on my 19's, and I really don't benefit from 19's on the pot-holed roads I regularly travel on. So I was thinking of going down to 18's, but has anyone got any recommendations or pictures of an ST riding 18's? Or where I can pick them up? (ebay I guess).

2. This will get me the most stick… the car is a bit too slammed for me (it's stock), and I regularly carry a lot of heavy stuff in the back and of course it sinks even more then. I know, I know, get something dull with off-road suspension… but if I did want to raise the height by 10/20mm, are there springs from another model that I can use?
You can actually get spring spacers to increase the ride height, with stock springs it will likely add a little spring compression to, so the ride will get stiffer not softer, however that will also help with ride height when loading the boot up.

I wouldn't recommend more than 10mm, and I'd say 5mm would do it.

If you think stock is slammed, mine must be on its ass.

Reactions: Legojon

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Was thinking about this myself. Can you even fit 17s on a Cupra with standard brakes?

Oct 25, 2019
mmm, not sure re spring spacers. Thought they were a temporary thing. Would prefer to just go longer springs I think.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
When I was towing 1.5t with my old touran I found spring assists were the way to go, thick rubber inserts that wrap between the coils and stopped the rear scraping along the floor. It handled like a retarded whale though, so wouldn't recommend that for the cupra experience.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The other thing you have to consider is the anti roll bars. They are likely different on the other models.

I’m not sure if the FR has the same ride height as the Cupra or not. Think it is, so you’d have to go for the SE I think. But also remember yours has DCC dampeners/shocks. Think only the FR is the other car that can be specced with them.

I think the most sensible option is a Cupra Ateca, if they’re £££ more and I don’t think the boot is as big as the ST. Happy to be wrong.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise