nightflight

DPF Info - All CR-TDI Owners Should Read This

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Thank you both for those bits of info. The reason I ask these questions is because I want to reduce the potential for Soot build up in the Intake but I do not want to do a delete of the EGR (Still under Warranty and in some circles EGR delete causes more problems than solve) so if I knew what open/closed the EGR I could vary my driving to suit, also what produces alot of Soot etc. One thing from what Deano says is if a brief increase of rev's to above 1500RPM may reduce the potential for the EGR to open. or not let it sit idling for more than 2 minutes.

Paul

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Thank you both for those bits of info. The reason I ask these questions is because I want to reduce the potential for Soot build up in the Intake but I do not want to do a delete of the EGR (Still under Warranty and in some circles EGR delete causes more problems than solve) so if I knew what open/closed the EGR I could vary my driving to suit, also what produces alot of Soot etc. One thing from what Deano says is if a brief increase of rev's to above 1500RPM may reduce the potential for the EGR to open. or not let it sit idling for more than 2 minutes.

Paul

Well if that's your point of entry: just hook it up to VCDS and set EGR to its minimum value. :)
Presto. Normal operation with as little EGR as it can get away with

geoff.owen

Jul 21, 2014
I have a Ibiza 1.4 tdi ecomotive, bought from new in 2008. Had loads of warranty returns with the DPF regeneration light. After 18 months of hassle and major replacements has been fine up to 80,000 miles . Sudden knocking , garage has taken head off found 2 + liters too much oil diesel mix in sump and camshaft + tappets very badly worn, in need of replacing, waiting quote, close to write off, already cost £900!! Result of high diesel content in sump. Original dealer no longer with Seat.
Where to go from here?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I have a Ibiza 1.4 tdi ecomotive, bought from new in 2008. Had loads of warranty returns with the DPF regeneration light. After 18 months of hassle and major replacements has been fine up to 80,000 miles . Sudden knocking , garage has taken head off found 2 + liters too much oil diesel mix in sump and camshaft + tappets very badly worn, in need of replacing, waiting quote, close to write off, already cost £900!! Result of high diesel content in sump. Original dealer no longer with Seat.
Where to go from here?

If you have a full record of all that has been done and when - I would approach SEAT and see if you can at least get some contribution towards the cost.
Yes I know it's a 2008 car - but if you can show them the car has been trouble all of it's life - and also point out that the dealer who you used is no longer a dealer - they may help out.

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
I have a 2013 FR 184 Diesel. The DPF warning came on for the 1st time this morning, spoke to seat and they told me to go for a drive & "give it some" to clear the filter. Touch wood it seems to be ok now but will be a bit miffed if it turns out to be problematic as it does around 800 mile a month.

Got rid of my last car which was a Mondeo ST Diesel due to EGR problems !

gaffer1986

My best advice is stop buying diesels, I do 30k a year and will happily spend a little extra on fuel to have a quiet car, that revs which is more relaxing to drive and will probably not cause me problems that a diesel might which could wipe out any potential fuel savings. Also, new turbo petrol cars seems to have just as much low end punch as diesel but with high end pull also.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I have a 2013 FR 184 Diesel. The DPF warning came on for the 1st time this morning, spoke to seat and they told me to go for a drive & "give it some" to clear the filter. Touch wood it seems to be ok now but will be a bit miffed if it turns out to be problematic as it does around 800 mile a month.

Got rid of my last car which was a Mondeo ST Diesel due to EGR problems !

Pop back to your SEAT dealer and tell him he is a complete ***** !!

What he has told you to do is NOT the correct way to do a regen and will cost you in the long run.

Your manual and the advice from SEAT direct is to drive at a steady pace with the rpm at around 2000/2200 to make the software in the ECU go in to regen mode.
This should take around 10 mins to complete.

The old system of booting it ( Italian tuneup ) or giving it some is only good for the older none DPF cars. All this will do to a full dpf is fill it more !!

Sounds like you got lucky this time.

EDIT - when did they start fitting the 184CR lump in the Ibiza ?

Last edited:

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
Cheers for the replies guys. I will keep an eye on it & if it comes on again will get it straight to Seat.

As for buy a Petrol next - I said the same thing to my wife just an hour ago. My last 2 Diesels have been a pain in the arse !

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Cheers for the replies guys. I will keep an eye on it & if it comes on again will get it straight to Seat.

As for buy a Petrol next - I said the same thing to my wife just an hour ago. My last 2 Diesels have been a pain in the arse !
Indeed. Especially as even the 280 has been clocked at 41mpg...which is higher than the "aggressive" average we saw on our mapped CR170

geoff.owen

Jul 21, 2014
Think you are right, petrol is a lot less risk than a Seat diesel. Seat and VW rely on high temperature DPF regeneration, were as others (more reliable) have a chemical injection tank that reduces the temperature needed for regeneration so occurs with normal driving.
Our Ibiza ecomotive has done 80,000 miles and had 2 new cylinder heads costing £2000 each time, Seat UK refuse to contribute as we used our local garage. Answer if doing short journeys is to change oil every 5000 miles, or DON'T Have a diesel SEAT!!

gaffer1986

Since going back to the green pump, I certainly haven't looked back. Doing 30k a year it probably costs me £80 a month more in petrol over diesel but the monthly payments for the diesel was like £70 a month more so I'm glad I've got all the benefits of a petrol for essentially a tenner a month. Of course the diesel will be worth a bit more come trade but just not worth it for all the problems and the fact that it used to make me feel ill after a morning start in the garage with the exhaust near the wall.

Last edited:

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
To be honest I am really pissed off with it. Mine does around 800 miles a month so its not as if it doesn't get good runs. I am hoping it will settle down - Seat have already told me it is not covered by warranty & if I want then to try and clear it they will charge 60 + VAT. Never expected these problems with a car less than a year old.

Considered a BMW when I bought it - wish I had gone for it now !!

gaffer1986

It doesn't get better, as the dpf gets older it gets worse, my last car did 70k and the last 10k would need nearly twice as many regems as the first. It's not about how many miles you do a month, the dpf only regens when it get about 45% full, mine never seemed to passively regen unless it was 45% full so you can't do a motorway run when ever you like to keep the soot levels down, some times my car would start to actively regen after a 3 hour 70mph run. You have to happen to be doing a 30 min steady speed journey just as it get 45% full and as you have no gauge you never know how full it is. Mine used to want to regen every 160 miles just before I traded it in, so I just used to try and stay out of traffic at that mileage until it had done a regen.

Last edited:

geoff.owen

Jul 21, 2014
You would think Seat would compensate for 2 replacement cylinder heads, I have all the details, but NOthey have said if a Seat Dealer had replaced the head then they would consider a contribution. Next step a solicitor!

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
I agree. The whole thing with these DPF's is a sham.

They told me my warning light was coming on due to my driving style. Over the last 15 yrs I have done 750000 miles and had over 35 cars (I was a rep) with no issues. Now have a Diesel Seat Leon and getting warning lights when its not even a yr old. & now I am driving the car wrong............

DesertRat

Aug 30, 2014
www.facebook.com
I agree. The whole thing with these DPF's is a sham.

They told me my warning light was coming on due to my driving style. Over the last 15 yrs I have done 750000 miles and had over 35 cars (I was a rep) with no issues. Now have a Diesel Seat Leon and getting warning lights when its not even a yr old. & now I am driving the car wrong............

No, your driving the wrong car! Avoid modern diesels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
Oh I wish I saw this thread before I bought it. Was so pleased with it too. Other than a few rattles that's is. I will definitely be on petrol next time around just can't afford to swap for a while.

This is my second new seat leon fr diesel and I am sorry to say my last!!!!

DesertRat

Aug 30, 2014
www.facebook.com
I had a Cr 170 and it was trouble from the 3rd month of Ownership. The fuel consumption was absurd for a diesel and the DPF was eventually deleted. Even the dealers I bought it from admitted that the DPF was a nightmare on VAG cars. I part exchanged it for a TSI version and although the mpg is worse I don't spend half as much as I did on repairs and lost time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
Yeah I would swap it tomorrow if I could afford it. Really gutted as i do like the car. Don't want to sound like a baby but I just feel like I have been let down.

My last car was a mondeo St diesel and it was just as bad. Time for petrol.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members