Dpf?

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Started my car this afternoon and was met with the Emissions warning light staying on - I'm guessing this would be related to DPF issues that people speak of with the PD170 FR?

Drove the car 8miles home and it seemed to drive as normal, no misfire etc.

Will this light go out on its own of taken for a long drive to clear it out or will i need to visit a garage? Whats normally the solution to this?

Pic of warning light -

e7ydemeg.jpg

Advice needed.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Anyone...?

Ive read, on an Audi forum, that a good blast down the motorway in 4th gear about 3k revs can clear this, thoughts?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Anyone...?

Ive read, on an Audi forum, that a good blast down the motorway in 4th gear about 3k revs can clear this, thoughts?

Mate that's your check engine light. Not emissions.
Granted it could have to so with some part of the emissions system...but I,d have that fault code read ASAP

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Mate that's your check engine light. Not emissions.
Granted it could have to so with some part of the emissions system...but I,d have that fault code read ASAP

Thanks for the reply mate. I should have looked into this abit further earlier on, when i checked the manual and it stated an issue with emissions i automatically assumed it would be DPF issue. I did actually think to myself that it looked like an Engine Management light but the manual seems somewhat unclear.

I'll have to get this checked tomorrow, not looking forward to the outcome, hopefully with the car not being in 'limp home mode' it isn't too serious!

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Thanks for the reply mate. I should have looked into this abit further earlier on, when i checked the manual and it stated an issue with emissions i automatically assumed it would be DPF issue. I did actually think to myself that it looked like an Engine Management light but the manual seems somewhat unclear.

I'll have to get this checked tomorrow, not looking forward to the outcome, hopefully with the car not being in 'limp home mode' it isn't too serious!

Nah it shouldn't be too drastic.

Famous last words... :) hehe

EDIT: removed P0441 reference as just noticed you have a TDI, so not applicable.

Last edited:

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Nah it shouldn't be too drastic.

Famous last words... :) hehe

EDIT: removed P0441 reference as just noticed you have a TDI, so not applicable.

Fingers crossed anyways! I would imagine the car would have went into 'limp home mode' or some other warning lights to appear if there was an issue with some of the main components i.e injectors, turbo etc.

Probably loads of things that can cause this light to come on. Think i'm trying to make myselft feel abit better but its not really working! Haha.

pizza85

Mar 11, 2012
Newry/Belfast
Mines been on since i bought the car in July... Said it was the egr valve, cleaned it. Then said it was air intake flap motor, replaced that. Still on, i just ignore it now. Its not an MOT failure in NI thankfully :)

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Mines been on since i bought the car in July... Said it was the egr valve, cleaned it. Then said it was air intake flap motor, replaced that. Still on, i just ignore it now. Its not an MOT failure in NI thankfully :)

That sounds like a royal pain in the ass mate. Are you still getting fault codes now that you have done that work? Can you not just get it turned off?

pizza85

Mar 11, 2012
Newry/Belfast
Yeah, well the EML jsut stays on now all the time. Last time i got it read it said it was still the air intake flap motor so i just though bollocks to that and left it... I wonder is that the reason i get poorer MPG than most on here, or is it the heavy right foot...

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I've had that light once. That was when the DPF needed regenerating, but I couldn't do it, as it was rush hour on a busy road and I was going to a hospital for visiting. Started it back up after being parked for two hours and the DPF was out, but the EML light was on. Turned out it was an exhaust gas sensor that needed replaced.

Last edited:

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
I'm getting the faults read tomorrow, my mates dad owns a garage so i'll be one step closer to finding the issue. To satisfy my curiosity, where is the connection plug for Vagcom cable?

Well a sensor would be there cheaper end of the scale. How do you regen the DPF? Does the car do it automatically or is it something i can do?

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
How do you regen the DPF? Does the car do it automatically or is it something i can do?

Go out and give it a thrashing somewhere at over 2k revs for ten mins or so. That clears the DPF light. Had that a few times and it usually clears quickly, although the last time it took me 25 mins to get rid of it! You can usually sense when it's about to light up, the car feels very hesitant.

Last edited:

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Yeah i read this on an Audi Forum too but i thought it best not to bother as my DPF light hasn't come on, only the Engine Management Light - Dont think it would be a good idea to kick the ass out of the motor with the EML on, tempting tho!! Haha!

jimbo_h

just all torque
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
It's not the dpf light it's the ecu light so could be a whole host if things. I've had a couple of wiring looms/sensors changed and thats what poped up (was there any warning on the mfd?). It defo woulda gone into limp mode if it was serious and that's a proper ball ache!

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
It's not the dpf light it's the ecu light so could be a whole host if things. I've had a couple of wiring looms/sensors changed and thats what poped up (was there any warning on the mfd?). It defo woulda gone into limp mode if it was serious and that's a proper ball ache!

No mate, there was no warning message, just the light itself. Where would a warning appear, on the display where the MPG/Time etc is shown? There defo wasn't a warning.

I only assumed it was the DPF light when the manual states emissions warning, i later realised there is a differet warning light for the DPF.

I had to drive 8miles home and wasn't in 'limp home' which is a bonus, didnt exceed 60mph just to be safe though.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I couldn't so without my eBay OBD2 wifi adapter and DashCommand on my phone. Best 50 odd quid ever spent on car stuff.
Have read so many error codes on my own and other people's cars.
Never left guessing what the prob is

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Yeah, well the EML jsut stays on now all the time. Last time i got it read it said it was still the air intake flap motor so i just though bollocks to that and left it... I wonder is that the reason i get poorer MPG than most on here, or is it the heavy right foot...

Have you replaced the fuse that blows when the manifold flap fails? If not, then the light will stay lit.

jimbo_h

just all torque
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
No mate, there was no warning message, just the light itself. Where would a warning appear, on the display where the MPG/Time etc is shown? There defo wasn't a warning.

I only assumed it was the DPF light when the manual states emissions warning, i later realised there is a differet warning light for the DPF.

I had to drive 8miles home and wasn't in 'limp home' which is a bonus, didnt exceed 60mph just to be safe though.

yeah the warning is where the time/mpg etc is, it'll say something like "take me to a garage now before I explode"..... or something to that effect

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members