dreaded coilpack fail

pete147

Feb 17, 2008
On my way into work this morning my lcr developed a really bad missfire, ive done a search on here and it sounds like its a coil pack, my car sounds like its running on 3 cylinders almost like a impreza and the exhaust fumes stink of petrol. my question is, are the coil packs from a lcr the same as the coil packs from any 1.8 20v turbo engine or are they differant?

cheers

pete147

Feb 17, 2008
ive just got in from changing mine and its running so much better, was an easy job apart from putting the alan key bolts back in!

pete147

Feb 17, 2008
well my coilpacks just pulled out, the bolts im talking about were on a metal cover with loads of pipes round it, it covers the 2 coilpacks nearest the passenger side.

andycupra

status subject to change
i cant pull the old coilpack out!!!is it bolted in or something?thought it would be a case of a quick pull and swap....

early leons, (like 2000/01) had bolt down coil packs.

Your being an LCR will have push fit. They wont be 'easy to put out' especially given the cold weather.
Most people put some flat blade screw drivers inder then and lever then to get them going. (and they want to fit tight, as other wise they can rise and cause a misfire for not staying on the plug!)

cylinder 1 and 2 can be changed with no other tools
3 and 4 require an allen key and 5 more mins to change.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
The number 4 coil pack is covered by a metal plate held on by 3 allen bolts, the vacuum resevoir mounted on it. This is the case regardless of how old/new the car is.

Some 1.8Ts have bolted coil packs, others are push fit. Get it replaced pronto or you'll destroy your catalytic converter.

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
got it. but now it makes a weird chi-chi noise....duno what thats about,maybe it was like that before?going to get it ecu checked.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members