Drive profile on a manual transmission

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
Has anybody made a comparison in the same style of driving with every one of the profiles, but NOT with a DSG?

I'm specifically interested in a difference between "Normal" and "Sport" profile. I drive an ST 1.4 ACT 150 and I did one 6 km long morning trip in heavy traffic and lots of red lights in the cold morning with a sport profile and got 26 mpg.

The other one was a similar trip but more green lights with a normal profile and a warm afternoon temperature. From that one I got 35 mpg. So more than 11 mpg difference.

The engine only has about 200 km so it's completely fresh. I get around 47 mpg when driving in rural roads at ca 90-100 km/h (ca 60mph).

Is the throttle response(based on a driving profile) really that important with a lot of stopping and taking off in heavy traffic or is it just the temperature difference?

Last edited:

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
You really can't compare over such short distances, even one extra stop means one extra acceleration and that will significantly affect the result over a 6km run. You really need to do it over a tank of fuel or at least a consistent journey of say 100 miles, then repeat the test a few times to minimise the variables of traffic etc

Last edited:

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
You really can't compare over such short distances, even one extra stop means one extra acceleration and that will significantly affect the result over a 6km run. You really need to do it over a tank of fuel or at least a consistent journey of say 100 miles, then repeat the test a few times to minimise the variables of traffic etc

Well I ment 6 km in one direction, so 12 km in one journey. Anyway I did the same trip today in warm conditions and again with normal profile. I got 7,7 l / 100 km - 37 uk mpg. I think that sport profile does have something to do with consumption, especially if there are lots of stops and takeoffs. Next time I will try again, the fourth time, the same route of 12 km with sport profile. Maybe repeat this five times in each profile. I like to drive for nothing anyway:D.

Last edited:

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
I can feel the difference with ECO mode but for actually MPG, it seems to simply depend on how you drive it, I personally don't think the mode has any impact other than changing how much you have to press the pedal (although it seems to never give 100% in ECO which 'could' help MPG). I wait to be corrected though.

dimucci

Oct 23, 2014
I tried all modes in a recent long tour. The only difference seems to be more immediate throttle response in "Sport". At constant (i.e. motorway etc.) speeds, there is no effect on mpg.
Mine is set to Normal for both settings.

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
I can feel the difference with ECO mode but for actually MPG, it seems to simply depend on how you drive it, I personally don't think the mode has any impact other than changing how much you have to press the pedal (although it seems to never give 100% in ECO which 'could' help MPG). I wait to be corrected though.

Yes,but with the same style of driving, that is the same amount of pedal press, it should be different mpg, actually it seems to be. If sport is more twichy, it probably gives more fuel at the same amou t of press in sports mode.

I tried all modes in a recent long tour. The only difference seems to be more immediate throttle response in "Sport". At constant (i.e. motorway etc.) speeds, there is no effect on mpg.
Mine is set to Normal for both settings.

Yes, I noticed that on long journeys it doesn't make a difference. But it seems to do at short city journeys with lots of stops.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
mine's a manual, but a diesel, so I'm not sure that what I see is relevant to you, Alas.
But the differences for me seem to be:
Sport - door card lights red(!), sound synthesiser growls, steering heavier, throttle response does seem sharper than "Eco", but I don't floor it much (enough power/torque not to need to)
Normal - no growling, and door lights white, steering lightens up, sure doesn't seem slow
Eco - haven't really used it!

I think it makes a big difference in a Cupra with the suspension changes and DSG gear changes altered.
biggest impact on your mileage will be the short trip to work, and the amount of traffic and red lights you catch. 47MPG is brilliant on a short run on rural roads - my daughter's Golf Mk5 is a 1.4 140BHP GT Sport, and we can't get better than 45 even on motorways at a steady 70...