Driver side window buttons

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Hi all,

Stupidly left my driver window ajar while fishing for the day yesterday, lots of rain got into the car.

Window buttons are now very temperamental, sometimes won't work, just a few seconds sometimes or closes by itself.

Is this a case of letting it dry fully and it'll fix itself or just replacing the buttons?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Had something like this happen to me a few months ago, sat on the keys at night and opened all the windows.
The passenger side window would only operate from the driver's side, left it about a week and it started working again, the auto close feature is still a little temperamental.

Reactions: Oliver Pawley

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Squirt some WD-40 down the switches and just let it dry out for a few days, should start to work again like normal hopefully.

MrShake

Sep 20, 2020
Had a similar issue before, tried drying the outside switches but overtime like after 3 weeks, the buttons became loose and I had to open the door card and replace them as they didn’t operate unless you force the button. So before it gets to that stage, I’d suggest opening the car door which shouldn’t take long, and do your best to clear out the liquid

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
You can take the door card off and remove the switches. Leave it somewhere warm, upside down and see if it drys out and works. You can also try the mobile phone trick and stick it in some rice to try and absorb some moisture.

Not sure if the contacts will go rusty or not so the WD40 trick might help.

Plan B is replace.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
To dry out things like this you will need to heat them, if you can split the casing even better. Putting them on a radiator or your hot water pipe running from the boiler will be ok. If you have an air line or can of compressed air you may be able to get the bulk of the water out to speed up things. It will need a few days if you can't open up the switch.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
If you use a spray like wd40 you can also speed things up but you need enough to soak the switch and displace the water. A clean and a proper contact lube would be better.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.