Drivers Side Inside Tyre Shredded

JS92

Aug 29, 2023
Had the wheels off today for a another reason and as I grabbed the front drivers side wheel to lift off the hub I felt something sharp jab into my finger - initially thought it was a nail or something. Eventually got the wheel off and to my horror saw this.
IMG_8385.jpeg IMG_8387.jpeg

I purchased the car from a dealer last month and have since done over 1k miles

MOT is march, had a full inspection by the garage when they purchased off the previous owner. I honestly can’t fathom how this could have happened under my ownership, haven’t ragged it around corners etc.

Anyway just wanted to share the state of these tyres.

Oct 7, 2023
Had the wheels off today for a another reason and as I grabbed the front drivers side wheel to lift off the hub I felt something sharp jab into my finger - initially thought it was a nail or something. Eventually got the wheel off and to my horror saw this.
View attachment 38691 View attachment 38692

MOT is march, had a full inspection by the garage when they purchased off the previous owner. I honestly can’t fathom how this could have happened under my ownership, haven’t ragged it around corners etc.

How is the tyre on passengers side?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M2102J20SG met Tapatalk

JS92

Aug 29, 2023
How is the tyre on passengers side?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M2102J20SG met Tapatalk
The tyre on the passenger side is fine, worn at a similar rate but no tears.
Broken spring perhaps or something else rubbing the tyre
I thought that but measuring the distance from the centre of the hub to the spring lower mount, there is a good 3 inch clearance from the tyre to said mount. also there is no sharp edge there so if it was due to rubbing, I would imagine pretty much the entire inside of the tyre would have similar tears, it only seems to be in 2 major places, about a quarter of the circumference from the other.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
View attachment 38691 View attachment 38692

Crickey, my guess would be damage from road debris or kerb?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If considering that it might be due to a broken front spring on that side, check the ride height - that is always a useful check to do at service time - if you service your own car as a slight droop to one side or end is not always noticeable.

Edit:- though in this case I'd doubt if it was the root cause of that uneven wear.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Had a full inspection by the garage when they purchased off the previous owner.
Possibility 1 - they didn't inspect it that closely, and missed it on initial inspection
Possibility 2 - something happened between when they PX'd it, to when it got to you. Could easily have been someone working there with a similar car swapping out wheels cos they've screwed their own car etc....

Usually a decent garage will inspect the car before it's given to you, rather than just when it comes into stock. Is there a record of that?

Last edited:

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
I think I have spotted your issue, are they Land sail tyres?
They are cheep for a reason, go back to your dealer and tell them to put a named brand on .

JS92

Aug 29, 2023
I think I have spotted your issue, are they Land sail tyres?
They are cheep for a reason, go back to your dealer and tell them to put a named brand on .
Yup Landsail tyres.

Issue is, I got the car a month ago, and judging by the wear on this particular tyre overall, it would seem they were on when it was part ex'd to the dealer. The dealer did replace one tyre; rear off-side - they used continentals so I don't believe the dealer put on the landsail's.

It's unfortunate that I can't do anything; warranty from dealer doesn't cover tyres, owned for month+ and done roughly 1400 miles, I don't have a leg to stand on tbh.

Was posting more so people could have a laugh at my expense 😂

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Why don't you get a full four wheel alignment check carried out, always a smart thing to do if you suspect alignment issues on a used car, probably something that many of us should get done every few years when buying a car from new - to avoid some surprises. Though do check the ride height first.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Yup Landsail tyres.

Issue is, I got the car a month ago, and judging by the wear on this particular tyre overall, it would seem they were on when it was part ex'd to the dealer. The dealer did replace one tyre; rear off-side - they used continentals so I don't believe the dealer put on the landsail's.

It's unfortunate that I can't do anything; warranty from dealer doesn't cover tyres, owned for month+ and done roughly 1400 miles, I don't have a leg to stand on tbh.

Was posting more so people could have a laugh at my expense 😂
Send the dealer principal a email and copy in seat UK, you may be surprised what may happen.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Send the dealer principal a email and copy in seat UK, you may be surprised what may happen.
If you don't ask, you won't get anywhere.

What speed rating is the Ditchfinder?
Is it appropriate for the car?

Something else to consider is tyre pressure.

You can do a Lot of harm with incorrect tyre pressure.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.