Driving on the contintent.

Cbeal

Feb 27, 2005
My wife's planning a sudden short notice trip to Belgium tomorrow. Is it possible to switch the headlamps from right to left hand drive without using those silly stick on beam deflectors?

Thanks

Chris

Cbeal

Feb 27, 2005
With the beam deflectors? The manual implies that's the way to go, though a friend with an A4 said there was a switch somewhere to swap them over

rude_pete

I live on the contintent so have LHD lights fitted, i dug out my RHD set last night to have a look and there is no switch inside.
even if there was it would only flay line the beam which is no good for long periods over here.

i think its because the bulb is visiable, on my old passat it was sat behind a proper lens and that had a switch in.

sorry for the bad info at first.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
On acrylic units its difficult unlike the old glass type you had the lines and could use masking tape to bloke out the offending beam.

Beam benders use prisms and redirect the light whereas the more common circular ones used nowadays only block the offending beam like tape used to. To use just tape you need the instructions and the same size circular stickers.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
dont forget in Belgium it is compulsory to have a reflective jacket...kind of, if you breakdown on the motorway or main road etc and get out of your car and get caught without one you will be fined, you cannot be fined for simply not carrying one at all times, so its up to you if you know you aren't going to breakdown you don't need one :p But you must carry a reflective triangle in the car at all times I think

rude_pete

Your right there all over the contintent you are required by law to have a warning triangle and in most countries you need a jacket too.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
On that basis it would be worth checking online and I assume will be as much the same as France. Apart form the obvious lights/spare bulb kit etc., You may also need a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and your documents (V5/ins cert).

Don't forget AA cover too as the standard policy doesn't cover abroad (and yes they fleece you - 10 days in France a couple of weeks was another £50+). Advise your insurance company too.

mcdonald

thats not true, its recommended you have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit however it is not compulsory
Yes, it is compulsory. What is compulsory differs per country.

The reason I placed (1) behind the warning triangle is that you need 2 warning triangles in Spain.

On dutch Halfords website is pdf document available what is compulsory per EU country. I will see if I make a translation of document.

Cbeal

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks for the advise guys. We've done a lot of continental driving over the years, so have most of the kit (spare bulbs were also on the list to get).

However, she decided not to go in the end. There weren't enough other people wanting to go to the gig, so we were spared the hassle.

It does sound like getting the beam deflectors is going to be a pain though. I'll go up to the dealers next time

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise