DSG -Can you engage Neutral and coast whilst reversing?

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
I have recently bought a 2020 Seat Leon Cupra 300ST, which is only about 250mm shorter than my garage.

This makes reversing the car into the garage a bit nerve wracking to say the least, as the car creeps a bit too fast and when I brake to slow it the car usually stops about 300mm from the rear wall and then requires a bit of throttle to zoom in the last bit! I cover the brake with my left foot to minimise my reaction time.

I was wondering if it is OK to put the DSG gearbox into neutral whilst the car is reversing and coasting the last bit?

If not has anyone got any tips on how to minimise the risk of hitting the rear wall of the garage?

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Not a direct answer to your question but I just wanted to remind readers about "maneouvre braking" feature. When it is turned on, parking sensors force the car to stop just before it hits anything by braking hard. This means it is almost impossible to hit an obstacle at parking speed. My 2018 FR has it, a 2020 Cupra should have it too, I believe.

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuthound and SRGTD

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I have recently bought a 2020 Seat Leon Cupra 300ST, which is only about 250mm shorter than my garage.

This makes reversing the car into the garage a bit nerve wracking to say the least, as the car creeps a bit too fast and when I brake to slow it the car usually stops about 300mm from the rear wall and then requires a bit of throttle to zoom in the last bit! I cover the brake with my left foot to minimise my reaction time.

I was wondering if it is OK to put the DSG gearbox into neutral whilst the car is reversing and coasting the last bit?

If not has anyone got any tips on how to minimise the risk of hitting the rear wall of the garage?
I would not "coast" in neutral backwards, as you won't have reversing lights, but its a lot easer controlling than with a Manuel, but all you have to do is very gently press the accelerator, and it will move slowly

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Not a direct answer to your question but I just wanted to remind readers about "maneouvre braking" feature. When it is turned on, parking sensors force the car to stop just before it hits anything by braking hard. This means it is almost impossible to hit an obstacle at parking speed. My 2018 FR has it, a 2020 Cupra should have it too, I believe.

How do I know if I have this feature? 2015 Leon Cupra 280.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
When I first got my current car (VW, first car I’ve owned with DSG), I too found it crept too fast when I manoeuvred into my garage. Unlike the OP, I drive forward into my garage and reverse out, and over time I’ve learned it’s best not to use the accelerator when moving in and out of my garage, but to control the creeping speed by keeping my foot on the brake pedal and moderating the amount of pressure applied.

i think my car has the manoeuvre braking function that @serdar_18fr refers to - I say I ‘think’ it has, because it’s never activated since I’ve owned the car (I can’t remember being in a situation where it’s ever needed to activate), although other owners with the same make model and age of car as mine on another forum have reported emergency braking saving them from reversing into objects and damaging their cars.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
When I first got my current car (VW, first car I’ve owned with DSG), I too found it crept too fast when I manoeuvred into my garage. Unlike the OP, I drive forward into my garage and reverse out, and over time I’ve learned it’s best not to use the accelerator when moving in and out of my garage, but to control the creeping speed by keeping my foot on the brake pedal and moderating the amount of pressure applied.

i think my car has the manoeuvre braking function that @serdar_18fr refers to - I say I ‘think’ it has, because it’s never activated since I’ve owned the car (I can’t remember being in a situation where it’s ever needed to activate), although other owners with the same make model and age of car as mine on another forum have reported emergency braking saving them from reversing into objects and damaging their cars.
By the way, it works for front too, if car has also the front parking sensors. I don't know the exact date but factory later started to use newer-generation control units and speed sensors which support this system. Cars ordered with front and rear parking sensors, possibly after facelift, should have this feature.

Reactions: SRGTD

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

Assuming you have a plain brick wall with no protrusions, I would use an old tyre against the wall. Also if you have level ground the car should 'creep' back enough without using the accelerator, just dabbing the brake pedal to control it.

Reactions: redone

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024

Yes that is what I do, but the car stops literally about 50mm too far from the rear wall to enable me to close the garage door. When I gently press the accelerator with the car almost in place, it moves too quickly and I am concerned one day I wont be able to brake in time.

I'll check to see if it has the "maneuver braking" feature that @serdar_18fr mentioned, then put a cardboard box in the way and see if the car stops automatically before it hits it.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
Assuming you have a plain brick wall with no protrusions, I would use an old tyre against the wall. Also if you have level ground the car should 'creep' back enough without using the accelerator, just dabbing the brake pedal to control it.

The wall is a stud and partition wall finished in plasterboard. The previous owner of the house used the last metre of the garage to build a downstairs toilet.

My drive and garage is on a slight incline, hence the reason why a little more than usual pressure is needed on the accelerator.

Reactions: Walone

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I'll check to see if it has the "maneuver braking" feature that @serdar_18fr mentioned, then put a cardboard box in the way and see if the car stops automatically before it hits it.

Also look for the settings menu option, just to be sure. It may be there but turned off.

Reactions: cuthound

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
My drive and garage is on a slight incline, hence the reason why a little more than usual pressure is needed on the accelerator.

I also thought that setting the drive mode to most basic one (Eco, or Normal in a Cupra?) would make the accelerator pedal less sensitive to inputs and maybe helps crawl slower. No harm in trying.

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
Turn off auto hold and it should roll back in reverse controlling it with the brake

It sounds like your auto hold is coming on stopping the car with it turned off as soon as you release the brake it will start to roll

Thanks I'll try it. Here is a photo showing how tight the car is in my garage. The distance to the rear wall is similar to the distance to the garage door.

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_144131345.jpg
    PXL_20240204_144131345.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 43

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
The wall is a stud and partition wall finished in plasterboard. The previous owner of the house used the last metre of the garage to build a downstairs toilet.

Not quite the same but my garage isn't wide enough to fully open the door without hitting the wall. I got a couple of wrist rests for computer users, thick dense foam rubber - and stuck them to the garage walls with either no nails or silicone, I can't remember. Anyway on the odd occasion the door slips out of your hand and bumps the wall no problem, no damage. You could stick some 22mm pipe wrap or similar to the back wall. I know it won't stop a full on collision, but if you nudged the wall it might make all the difference.

Reactions: cuthound

redone

Nov 28, 2023
i admire your commitment to this issue. the other thing that may help is having a (visual) flag. something against the side that aligns with, for instance, your wing mirror or something easy to see/align to. so you can be confident your car is where you want it to be.

the ‘safety’ (danger) features need to be off. the car does not know better. what a pain. really this should be as simple as learning the frequency of beeps from the sensors to know where you need to be.

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
i admire your commitment to this issue. the other thing that may help is having a (visual) flag. something against the side that aligns with, for instance, your wing mirror or something easy to see/align to. so you can be confident your car is where you want it to be.

the ‘safety’ (danger) features need to be off. the car does not know better. what a pain. really this should be as simple as learning the frequency of beeps from the sensors to know where you need to be.

My Grandad used to have a tennis ball suspended on a string, which touched the rear window of his (booted) car back in the 60's.

Perhaps I'll resurrect that idea

Sadly the parking sensor stop bleeping and change to a continuous tone well before the car is deep enough into the garage to close the door without it hitting the car.

Currently visiting relatives so when I get back home I'll try all of the above suggestions and report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: missmouse
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.