DSG car creep from stop/ start

Tinbum51

Jul 27, 2019
I have just moved from a 300 ST 7spd dsg with auto park brake to a 290 6spd dsg with manual park brake.

I have noticed in the 290 that when i have stop/ start enabled and sat in traffic, I have to have either my foot on the brake peddle or handbrake applied, to stop the car creeping forward. Though even the handbrake seems to struggle to hold as its obvious the dsg is engaged and wanting to move forward. Slipping into neutral solves this but its a faff.

In the 300, as soon as the auto handbrake applied it sat perfectly.

Does this make sense?

Anyone have any thoughts, is this normal for the 6spd dsg/ manual park brake combination.

Ive had the car 2 days, second hand its a 16 plate.

TIA

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have just moved from a 300 ST 7spd dsg with auto park brake to a 290 6spd dsg with manual park brake.

I have noticed in the 290 that when i have stop/ start enabled and sat in traffic, I have to have either my foot on the brake peddle or handbrake applied, to stop the car creeping forward. Though even the handbrake seems to struggle to hold as its obvious the dsg is engaged and wanting to move forward. Slipping into neutral solves this but its a faff.

In the 300, as soon as the auto handbrake applied it sat perfectly.

Does this make sense?

Anyone have any thoughts, is this normal for the 6spd dsg/ manual park brake combination.

Ive had the car 2 days, second hand its a 16 plate.

TIA
Sorry to tell you, but the previous preface lift 280/290 didn't have the auto hold. It'll have hill hold to stop it rolling back, but you have to keep your foot on the brake.

Its only the electronic hand brake cars that have auto hold.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Tinbum51; I think that when you put your foot on the brake when you’ve come to a stop, the clutch is disengaged in a DSG transmission. I don’t think the clutch does disengage if you apply the handbrake with drive still engaged, so the car will always be trying to move forward. I’m not particularly mechanically minded but I’d assume that stopped with drive engaged and the handbrake on wouldn’t be good for the life of the DSG’s clutch pack.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
@Tinbum51; I think that when you put your foot on the brake when you’ve come to a stop, the clutch is disengaged in a DSG transmission. I don’t think the clutch does disengage if you apply the handbrake with drive still engaged, so the car will always be trying to move forward. I’m not particularly mechanically minded but I’d assume that stopped with drive engaged and the handbrake on wouldn’t be good for the life of the DSG’s clutch pack.
Yeah missed the bit about the handbrake,

@SRGTD is spot on, don't take your foot off of the brake pedal unless you're in Park or Neutral.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
when i have stop/ start enabled
I'm a bit confused; if the stop/start is enabled and you are stationary in traffic, the engine should stop and therefore there is no drive to the gearbox to cause creep

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm a bit confused; if the stop/start is enabled and you are stationary in traffic, the engine should stop and therefore there is no drive to the gearbox to cause creep
Soon as you lift your foot off the brake in the Pre facelift it starts the engine again.

It doesn't work the same in pre facelift as the face lift where you need to press the accelerator.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
@Seriously? If you turn your auto hold off (button near the handbrake) and you will see how the preface lift works :)

Its easy to get used to the facelift ways of doing things having driven a pre-facelift.

But going back the other way takes a bit longer as you get used to lifting your foot off the brake when you come to a stop.

Totally this. When you lift off the brake, the clutch engages, so you'll wear the clutch out rapidly.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.