DSG Kickdown feature

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
Is anyone else finding the kickdown feature a little annoying with the DSG, can it be disabled? Maybe its just me but under acceleration it drives me mad when I floor the accelerator and it automatically kicks down gears in tiptronic. I've noticed the accelerator pedal is in stages, maybe it can be controlled from there somehow but do u still get maximum acceleration from that particular gear if its not fully depressed. Hope I'm not just being dumb :shrug:

Dec 3, 2009
Lol I find it annoying to sometimes! It can be disable by getting dsg remap... Which cost roughly £600 I think from revo. Tbh kickdown feature is pointless for FR being as there is no power beyond 4,500revs unlike the cupra. But I try and not hit the kickdown feature when I'm in 3rd or 4th gear.:)

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
Lol I find it annoying to sometimes! It can be disable by getting dsg remap... Which cost roughly £600 I think from revo. Tbh kickdown feature is pointless for FR being as there is no power beyond 4,500revs unlike the cupra. But I try and not hit the kickdown feature when I'm in 3rd or 4th gear.:)

Glad it not just me, whats anoying is it will kick down when theirs only a small amount of use left in the gear it goes to n the engine sound it rather loud lol. Its the only thing about the car I dont like :ban:

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
Problem solved although i'm yet to try it.

(Courtesy of VWVortex or Wikipedia )

"Current variants of the DSG will still downshift to the lowest possible gear ratio when the kick-down button is activated during full throttle whilst in manual mode. However, on vehicles equipped with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, if the "+" paddle on the right side of the steering wheel is acitvated and held before the kick-down button is activated (and continued to be held), the DSG will not downshift, and will simply perform a full-throttle acceleration in whatever gear was previously being utilised."

Last edited:

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
I agree to a point, its just u have no control over it, their is the odd occasion when i might want it, just not every time i put my foot to the floor. Looks like theirs a simple solution to the problem any how but not the way i post above that was a pain in the ass. Seems this has been well discussed on other forums.

Dec 3, 2009
Problem solved although i'm yet to try it.

(Courtesy of VWVortex or Wikipedia )

"Current variants of the DSG will still downshift to the lowest possible gear ratio when the kick-down button is activated during full throttle whilst in manual mode. However, on vehicles equipped with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, if the "+" paddle on the right side of the steering wheel is acitvated and held before the kick-down button is activated (and continued to be held), the DSG will not downshift, and will simply perform a full-throttle acceleration in whatever gear was previously being utilised."

Don't work mate!

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
Don't work mate!

I know couldn't get it work either and it makes it change up a gear when you wouldn't want to. Other forums seem to suggest theirs a button under the accelerator pedal which can be covered with a small bit of plastic, I'll look into that tomorrow.

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
When u put your foot to the floor u can feel there is a buttom that u are pressing that causes the car to down shift (kickdown) all u have to do is stop pressing down when ur about to hit the button. :)

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
When u put your foot to the floor u can feel there is a buttom that u are pressing that causes the car to down shift (kickdown) all u have to do is stop pressing down when ur about to hit the button. :)

Will see how i get on with that. Not really pressed the accelerator when the engine aint running, maybe i just need to get the feel of it. Cheers for ur input

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
Now i've got my foot in tune feel like ive finally got this beast under control :lol: Its took me a week to get used to.
Kickdown's no longer a problem. Anyone who does still have trouble with it my advice would be just have a fiddle with the accelerator pedal when the cars not started you'll soon figure it out. Their is actually a little button on the back of the accelerator. Mpg on this learning experience 14.6 :cry: lol

CupraDean

Brrrmmm Tttsssssss
Dec 11, 2009
Newbury
ah damn im not feeling this! haha! i would rather be the one choosing what gear i want to put my foot down in! not let it kickdown a gear! bad times.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise