DTUK Tuning Box Problems Leon 184 BEWARE

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
Hi all.
Just putting this out there to see if anyone had similar problems.
I purchased the DTUK CRD-t last year and had nothing but problems. Ranging from initially just juddering at low revs, then to constant re-gens (although do mainly motorway miles daily), and then constantly sending to "Limp Mode" so car unable to get over 2000 RPM. One times it had to go into Seat to have pressure sensor replaced ! Luckily as I took the box off when it broke down, Seat didn't detect I had messed with it.
I have tried even running on the lowest map settings but still no difference.
I am gutted as when in worked properly, it makes a phenominal difference.
Very disappointed with DTUK too as they had the box back last year twice to "re-flash" and test the box and sent it back .... no difference. And now they are insisting its a problem with the car and they know of quite a number of issues where other 184 owners having same problems. My advice is to steer clear of the DTUK tuning box if you respect your engine and components, as obviously there is an incompatability issue somewhere on "some" cars. I have had no offer of refund/partial refund either.
PS - the car runs absolutely 100% fine without the box on, no re-gens, no limp mode, an totally smooth driving so its obvious to me its the box that's at fault, but DTUK will not accept this theory and everytime insist on re-flashing and testing the box.
Just putting this out there so buyer is aware, as no where on their website for this particular car/box does it state these "potential" issues.
Cheers

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks for this! Was actually just about to buy myself one of these for my 184 tdi

AlistairS

Jan 3, 2008
Stirlingshire
I have bought one & Royal Mail tried to deliver today. Wonder if I should just send it back or even refuse delivery?

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I've come across a few threads on various forums abut DTUK's customer service when something goes wrong…

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Hi all.
Just putting this out there to see if anyone had similar problems.
I purchased the DTUK CRD-t last year and had nothing but problems. Ranging from initially just juddering at low revs, then to constant re-gens (although do mainly motorway miles daily), and then constantly sending to "Limp Mode" so car unable to get over 2000 RPM. One times it had to go into Seat to have pressure sensor replaced ! Luckily as I took the box off when it broke down, Seat didn't detect I had messed with it.
I have tried even running on the lowest map settings but still no difference.
I am gutted as when in worked properly, it makes a phenominal difference.
Very disappointed with DTUK too as they had the box back last year twice to "re-flash" and test the box and sent it back .... no difference. And now they are insisting its a problem with the car and they know of quite a number of issues where other 184 owners having same problems. My advice is to steer clear of the DTUK tuning box if you respect your engine and components, as obviously there is an incompatability issue somewhere on "some" cars. I have had no offer of refund/partial refund either.
PS - the car runs absolutely 100% fine without the box on, no re-gens, no limp mode, an totally smooth driving so its obvious to me its the box that's at fault, but DTUK will not accept this theory and everytime insist on re-flashing and testing the box.
Just putting this out there so buyer is aware, as no where on their website for this particular car/box does it state these "potential" issues.
Cheers
This is actually quite interesting since I do have the box and have had it the last 6months.
I had the judder but just lowered my settings a bit, and that has solved the judder issue.
However I'm having regens quite often, but I thought that was just the nature of the newer TDI cars?

I have not had any problems with limp mode or any other problems with the box.
But yes DTUK customer service is not the best.
The reply i received when I sent my first email regarding the judder was "Adjust your driving stile or lower the performance".
I'm not to happy with a reply like this since I gave them my money and they supplied me with a product which does not do what they promise.

However I have no plans of keeping my car when the warranty expires so..

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Blaine

Apr 12, 2012
Had quite a few cars remapped before I bought my Leon and was going to do same with it but seen a few good reviews about the DTUK box! But that's it's out window for me,

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Had quite a few cars remapped before I bought my Leon and was going to do same with it but seen a few good reviews about the DTUK box! But that's it's out window for me,
This is my second DTUK box and third car that I have tuned with this kind of system.
All cars have had different issues.

The main reasons why I have picked the DTUK system is cost and the possibility to tune the car and have a valid warranty.
If I would go for a old fashion remap it would cost me twice as much as the DTUK system and they will still just load my car with a basic tuning map instead of a proper remap..

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Fair enough for sharing your experiences. Everyone has different experiences with these modifications but I wouldn't let this stop you from buying one. As I've had one on 2 cars myself, one being my FR 184, and haven't any problems. I have experienced the judder, but once lowering the setting, it seemed to sort it. Also with the regens, it don't seem to regen anymore than without the box

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Nothing but good things to say about DTUK software the box will only highlight issues with the car that are already present or will shortly be present all the software is well tested before release and there customer service have been nothing but helpful when i've needed to talk to them.

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
Sorry to drift off topic...

But has anyone tried an engine remap or fitting a tuning box to a 1.4TSi, any problems?

Is it worth doing? what bhp and torque increases did you get?

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
Good to see everyone's comments. Everyone has different opinions which is great. All I would say is that DTUK are great at offering pre-sales advice, and advice when things going well. However, once things start going down hill they just want to rid their hands of the problem. I'm surprised Andrew hasn't come on here yet defending himself and his company. What upset me more than anything was that he admitted many others have had issues the same as mine, BUT won't accept its the box causing the problems. What else explains that my car runs PERFECT without the box on it? But all you get is "send the box back to be tested" (third time!).
Some people are happy to risk the £20,000 (or more) spent on their pride and joy for the sake of £365 and 50 extra BHP. But there SHOULD be a warning to buyers on their website and Andrew that "there are known issues on the VWAG 184 engines that could result in damage to your engine" quite simple really.
If I had time I would be taking him to the small claims court as the box has done nothing but cause problems to my car and they won't even accept any or partial liability or refund me. But for the sake of £365 I haven't got the motivation or time.

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
PS - any one still interested in the box can buy mine if you like as it will be half the price of DTUK and I will also offer the same after sales help.

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
I've had not one re-gen the last 3 weeks when not had box on - compared to at least every 3 days my fan would be going in my car for 5-10 minutes on the drive after ignition turned off. I could guess that there's some DPF costs going to arise in a short space of time with all the re-gens.

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
A tuning box is never going to be good for your engine, the increased number of regens should be an obvious warning.

Like above, why do it to a ~20k car?

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Boxes are fooling the engine by spoofing the fuel tables, boost reassure, etc. Do people really think they're going to be efficient and not compromise the longevity and operation of drivetrain components?!

Most claims of increased fuel economy will be down to the ECU not having a clue about how much fuel it is actually dumping through the injectors.

Companies have a good argument to strengthen their sales patter - 'undetectable', no need to tell the insurance, keep your warranty, etc, etc. It's all bollocks. They rely on people wanting the extra power/efficiency without the increased costs of voiding warranty and increases to their insurance policies.

Not in a million years would I fit one to my car but each to their own.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Sorry to drift off topic...

But has anyone tried an engine remap or fitting a tuning box to a 1.4TSi, any problems?

Is it worth doing? what bhp and torque increases did you get?

You may wish to check out the validity of this but I'm of the understanding that ALL 1.4 Leons sold in Greece have an 'official' REVO map on them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise