DTUK tuning box

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
best thing to do is to phone them to get them to do a quote, but give the address of a neighbour and a different name. if you make any attempt to put things on your insurance quotes they can hold it against you further down the line even if you don't go with that quote.

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
Cheers for the notes chaps. I have just found the one I think I will get. Adrian Flux. It's not due for a couple of months, so no urgency as such, but I had heard that you can reasonable quotes from normal companies, who add little for the chip.
I'm loving the car so will obviously go forward with what I have, and hope I may come across another quote that is better.
All information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FReidiboy

Jun 25, 2007
Campbeltown
I seem to be getting the dreaded judder from 4th gear onwards. Also, when accelerating, it sounds as if the car isnt running as smoothly as it does without the box fitted. Ive not had the box on the car for a few months now because of this but im toying with the idea of putting it back on. I guess im just scared that I may be causing damage.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
there was once a rumour that andrew of DTUK could help with said insurance, or at least thats what ive seen posted on the forums

Yep it's buried in this thread somewhere, to do with how you word it to the insurance company, emphasise the fuel saving/economy part of it etc, or something like that, ring Andrew at DTUK as GrahamFR suggests, he should be able to advise you

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
I've just bought a DTUK CRD-T (from another member) and I also experienced judder in 4th on the very first drive.
I don't know what it is, clutch, imbalance, other. Since that once (which was very low revs), I have not felt the judder but I haven't had the opportunity to boot it as such. I did have a play against a GTD which was very entertaining, and satisfying.
On that, I would be interested to know more about the judder and if the chip has any effect on the engine integrity.

james berkeley

Aug 8, 2014
I seem to be getting the dreaded judder from 4th gear onwards. Also, when accelerating, it sounds as if the car isnt running as smoothly as it does without the box fitted. Ive not had the box on the car for a few months now because of this but im toying with the idea of putting it back on. I guess im just scared that I may be causing damage.

I had been considering one of these boxes, but I have to say the number of reports of juddering is not good. It cannot be doing the engine and transmission any good at all. These cars are so complex these days you don't know what it's doing......:shrug:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
For those that are getting juddering - are you flooring it below 2000rpm in high gears ?

I find that the CR motors drive more like a petrol than the old PD motors.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Judder occurs at around 1700-1800 when overtaking, or flooring (on + settings)
I have the same on map 1 and -1 when I have my trailer on.
When I'm using the car without trailer map 1 setting -1 seems to be fine.
So these boxes does not seem to be ideal for the dsg tdi engines..

I wonder why Andrew stopped posting here in the thread?

johnnyd2003

Jun 14, 2009
north east (boldon colliery)
The judder is from what I've found to be coming from low revs as stated when you start to accelerate so to get round this I've found if you don't plant your foot but build the revs up slowly till you pick up a bit speed you should be fine alternatively drop a gear then it should be fine . my box has been on the car from about 600miles and now has over 10000 and has never had problems just the judder . in short those worrying about the box and judder yes its there but if you adjust the way you drive very slightly it should be fine

pj106

Jan 10, 2015
Longridge
The judder is from what I've found to be coming from low revs as stated when you start to accelerate so to get round this I've found if you don't plant your foot but build the revs up slowly till you pick up a bit speed you should be fine alternatively drop a gear then it should be fine . my box has been on the car from about 600miles and now has over 10000 and has never had problems just the judder . in short those worrying about the box and judder yes its there but if you adjust the way you drive very slightly it should be fine

I guess I've been lucky so far then. I've had my box on for about 5000 miles now and not felt judder once. I like the extra power it gives you, but I don't generally floor it in any gear.

Out of interest, is this only happening in the top 2 gears? or across them all?

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
Yep - that's the dual mass flywheel objecting to monster torque at low revs.

If you need to be getting a move on - drop a gear to get over 2000 before you boot it.
There's a but in that, which talk against the flywheel. If my box is on map 1 or 2 on any + setting, then there's a slight judder when starting in first (also slowly).
I don't believe all cases of judder are related to flywheel in this case.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
There's a but in that, which talk against the flywheel. If my box is on map 1 or 2 on any + setting, then there's a slight judder when starting in first (also slowly).
I don't believe all cases of judder are related to flywheel in this case.

a judder is usually fuelling or flywheel. I know that DTUK have recently updated their gti box, perhaps there will be an update for you guys too