Easy/Quick/Cheap fix for doors not locking?

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Hi, my aged (05) Leon FR TDI is knocking on a bit and niggles are doing my head in now. Aside from the locks randomly locking/not locking (they'll open eventually if I keep pulling on the inside handle and other times won't even bother locking at all) culminated in last night/this morning someone going into have a look around inside it. Aside from emptying the glove box all over the car and tipping the pockets out of tissues/cloths etc to clear the steamy windscreen nothing appears to be broken. They'd have a job on starting it anyway as it's been stood a few weeks and it needed a boost start last week but runs fine, still good on fuel etc.

I'm torn. I've had it since new, 157k miles and it's never let me down. Had a replacement heavy duty clutch last year, fires up when battery is charged just fine. Apart from a healthy hunger for headlight bulbs and previously brakes (until I ground the mating faces of the hubs off, now seems fine) the only fault is the windscreen washers (front/back) hardly works (pump replaced, same so next is to try pipes) and this door thing.

It manifested as a passenger door not unlocking then worked its way round the car over time to a random door. Now it's not locking all the doors and people can get in.

Time to get shut, easy fixes or scrap it? I have another car (07 plate Jetta 2.0 tfsi) which is crap on fuel, no faster and handles like a barge but doesn't have any issues (yet) and have been putting off buying or leasing a new car this year because I'm saving for a house deposit (which I would have had if the banks hadn't changed to 85% LTV mortgages, grrr) before I change cars.

Despite never really wanting the car in the first place (I wanted something faster) it's been a faithful servant and I'm loathe to let it go because it is reliable and good on fuel (48-54 mpg generally), but if it needs money spending it's maybe time to get shut. Longest I've ever owned anything and I wanted rid after two weeks! Weird how things work out.

So, do the fixes/pay for em doing or get shut? What would you do?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Door locks are a major let down on these. I’ve just done 2 on mine. If you don’t fix them they will lock you out for good eventually.
Then it’s break and dril bits out etc. Proper pain.
If doing it cheap and diy then I go eBay specials for the locks.
I bought vw parts and it’s a small fortune. But I’m looking to keep mine for a few more years.
I know lots who have had eBay jobs in for 3 years + and they’ve been fine.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Go for the eBay parts if on a budget. They do work and should last long enough - I've had mine over 2 years. As said, get them done as they will eventually fail completely and then you WILL be stuck.

The washer could well be leaking and be the cause of the condensation inside the car. Check the boot area for the rear washer and down the passenger side (I think) for the washer tubes.

Reactions: APNess

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Yup as homer said the rear washer hose has a t connector inside the boot area. Think it’s on side wall on passenger side.
These either deteriorate or pop off causing wet carpet in the boot area. If. Or check all carpets throughout and you’ll prob find some damp patch. This will help narrow it down. Rear half most likely door seals have gone. Front and it could be blockages around pollen filter housing etc. Or door seals or both.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Easy quick fix is either park right up next to something to prevent people getting in or disconnect the handle cable to stop gaining access.
Otherwise as said above buy the door modules from eBay and a roll of butyl tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Well for now I've emptied the car (might take the spare tyre out too) and pulled the battery out so it's going nowhere (and being charged up so it should run just fine when I put it on). Bloody thing. It wouldn't lock the doors then it wouldn't unlock them so I left it as is with three doors not working and the driver door locked. As mentioned I've owned it from new and it's going to be hard to part with it so I'll see about fixing those niggles. MOT is due 27 Sep and pretty sure crap/barely there squirty on the front is a fail but not sure on the back.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I would fix the door issues now just get the eBay ones as for the washers check the filter in the washer bottle it could be blocked it does mean pulling the washer pump back out and also check the join in the boot too

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Replaced the front passenger door lock at the start of lockdown. A fairly easy job if you do them before they fail completely and dead lock. Cost about £20 for the module & around 2 hours of my time. I still had some butyl tape from the last time I did the door seals.

It's do-able if you DIY it but having a garage do a few doors would be more than the car is worth. Had my Leon since 2006 & plan to keep it for a while longer. But only if I can keep the yearly repair costs down by doing the easy fixes myself.

Front washers are needed for the MOT they don't care about the rear. All doors must open but not sure they they if they need to lock.

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
On 150k I’d expect an amount of calcium build up on the front squirters maybe a needle or anti calcifier may make the front work better?

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Thanks for the replies guys. Had to lock wire the front passenger door shut to prevent (or at least discourage) anyone going into the car again. Hopefully not a recurring thing as I live in a remote (ish) village and never had any problems before. It's put me off getting a car like a Audi RS/Golf R which is a known thief magnet, at any rate.

Will concentrate on the washers, see if it passes MOT and have a go at the locks. Am sure there's a guide on here somewhere.

Reactions: Sparkie

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Lots of guides online and once you’ve done one door module then you’ll see how easy it is

Having had to re-seal the doors and then at a later date change a couple of door locks, I think I can do it with my eyes closed now! :roflmao:

Reactions: bruceR

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Having had to re-seal the doors and then at a later date change a couple of door locks, I think I can do it with my eyes closed now! :roflmao:

Well that will teach me... the next day the driver's door lock started playing up! Would only open one in 10 attempts so I ordered an ebay lock for under £20 and have just fitted it (in record time lol)

Reactions: Snoopy and bruceR

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
All those are easy jobs - it's just a matter of time and a little effort.

Most of the problems with windscreen washers will be down to scum in the tank. It's fairly easy to unplug and unbolt it to remove it, and then it's a matter of bleach and hot water. You can either try and get a dish brush in there or a toothbrush, or just shake it up and try to remove the most crap that way.

While the tank is out, you can put a can of compressed air on the hose to try and squirt any gunk out through the washer jets. I ended up replacing my jets, because they're super cheap on eBay. I think you'll probably have to take the scuttle off to get to them, but it's a fifteen minute job - as long as you reconnect the hoses to the tank when you put the scuttle back on.

Door locks are also easy. The fronts are easier than the rears though. The locks themselves can be found for around £20 on eBay and they do last pretty well. The rears can be a bit of a pain with the space being much tighter and getting around the window regulator, but the guides on YouTube are really good.

It's a pain, but if the car still runs well, you may well end up regretting selling it later. At the moment, I'm annoyed that I had trouble with a brake bleed and currently never want to see it again, but once that's sorted I'll be back to loving it. Until I try to clean the turbo vanes and get the intake manifold off.

Reactions: APNess and BadBoy03

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Well that will teach me... the next day the driver's door lock started playing up! Would only open one in 10 attempts so I ordered an ebay lock for under £20 and have just fitted it (in record time lol)

I now have a spare driver's lock, it wouldn't unlock a couple of months after replacing the front passenger lock. While doing research on how to force the door open. Someone asked 'you've tried the key in door haven't you?' Well I did & the door opened.

Great I thought at least I don't have to struggle with the door stuck shut. Then I did a bit more investigating & the battery was completely flat. Charged it up & the door locked responded to the key fob again. Guess I shouldn't have pulled the trigger on an other lock so quick.

Had been thinking about replacing the Leon but glad I didn't. At the moment it sits on the drive most of the time - flattening it's battery every month or so. Wouldn't be so happy if I was making monthly payments on a newer car that hardly gets used.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Door locks are also easy. The fronts are easier than the rears though. The locks themselves can be found for around £20 on eBay and they do last pretty well. The rears can be a bit of a pain with the space being much tighter and getting around the window regulator, but the guides on YouTube are really good.

I just strip the door completely, find it easier in the long run.

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Car passed it's Mot today so got a stay of execution! The main thing I was cacking myself over was emissions but it went through no bother. At some point I need to change the thermostat and housing and still have to get the rear squirter spraying out rather than a dribble but will work at it.

The issue with the door lock is odd. I press lock, hear the doors lock then immediately hear a door unlock the passenger side front door. If I then immediately press lock again on the key it locks... and stays locked. Also the back doors which were a pain with the randomly staying locked/not locking at all actually behaved so it didn't get an advisory on them this year. I'd had the battery off for a week or so on charge and dropped the driver window to press lock on the door whilst pressing lock on the key (trying anything at this stage) and it seemed to... I dunno... help? Worth a try for someone but no real permanent fix of course. I think I have ordered a door module at some point so will look to putting one in.

Thanks for the advice/help on here, thought I'd pop in and let you know there's life in the Leon yet! Good job really as house deposit saving and just using the Leon instead of the Jetta 2.0 TFSI should save £100/month on fuel. And oil. That bloody thing likes a drink of both whereas the Leon sips diesel and has never used any oil between services.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
My doors dont lock at all except my boot, no codes on VCDS says my mechanic so it's apparently a broken wire *somewhere*.

Dont even know where to start with it lol

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Good to hear it passed, yes the 1.9 TDIs are crazily cheap to run. Really not looking forward to when I'll have to scrap mine. Had it longer than I've know the wife lol

Reactions: iammooks
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise