easy to replace glow plugs?

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
as stated is it as easy to replace glow plugs on my fr as it is to replace spark plugs on a petrol?

not done this before myself and one of them is not working, but been qouted 45 quid to replace just one when i can get 4 replacements for cheaper providing they are easy to do

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
its not over hard to do you just need a 10mm deep socket. i tried doing mine and it turned out in a disaster. damaged the threads on one and ended up having to the the head taken off and helicoiled. cost over 550 in the end!! if you are going to try do them yourself ill give you this advice.. make sure the engine is very hot!! not running but straight after a good long run is ideal to do them as the head is hot and the threads not as tight..(expanding metal when hot) if they feel too stiff after the first full turn leave them alone! i wish i had done this :(

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
cheers mate, change spark plugs before so i know how they work and my dad has done it loads so will get him to give me a hand as well to make sure i don't mess it up

will give the engine the warm but not hot thing a try as well

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
They're nowhere near as easy to remove as spark plugs, the chances of threads being damaged or bits breaking is so much higher than for petrol engines. They will have been in there since the car was new, probably unlikely to have been moved at all, definitely not got copper grease on them, subjected to much higher compression than the average petrol engine, and all other sorts of mischief and mayhem.

I would really think twice about doing it yourself, £45 doesn't seem to be that bad considering how much grief it could cause. And don't forget, if you do it yourself and it messes up, your car is immobilised.

Sorry to be so negative, but it really can end up getting really bad.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
hmm, fair enough if thats the case i will bite the bullet and pay for it to be done. if there is a chance of cocking something up i'd rather spend that money that 10 times it trying to fix the issue

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise