Eco Mode, Fuel Additives and Start Stop Opinions.

B9MYO

Apr 9, 2020
I've had my Cupra 300 for about 3/4 months now averaging around 1000 miles a month. On most long commutes I get 39/42mpg in comfort. I tried Eco mode on the individual setting and I think I made it up to about 43/44mpg but that was slower traffic.

To me I can't really see a noticeable difference besides less responsive throttle response and the eco idle when off throttle. I stick to sport and comfort mainly as I'm not really truly throwing it around corners anyway and even in sport I get about 37mpg if I'm sensible

Reactions: Joshua Oakes

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
How effective do people find the different modes with the Leon FR, mainly the eco mode. I’ve got the 184 with the DSG gearbox. I can definitely tell the accelerator is much less responsive when in Eco mode, and it often coasts to save fuel, how much does this actually help, compared to normal and sport mode?

I do a lot of motorway driving so want to save fuel on these journeys but how much will it actually save? I’m yet to do a long journey so will see for myself but wondering everyone else’s opinions.

I’m tempted to try millers ecomax as I’ve read good things on this and might save some fuel, it’s not major, I don’t necessarily drive like a saint but wondering what is the best combination to save some fuel with my driving style haha.

Another thing is, do people use start stop, I’ve read it can be really bad for engine and turbo and doesn’t actually save much fuel, is this correct? Surely it wouldn’t be on the car if it would ultimately be bad for it?

Josh.

Black Leon FR 2.0TDI 184 DSG

I have a manual 2014 184 with 100,000 miles on it. Today I drove from Leicester to Wolverhampton and back, 150 mile round trip and got 70 mpg. It was a combination cruise control @ 70mph to 75mph and a few 60 and 50 bits with the variable speed limit. Just took it nice and easy and drove the car fairly normally.

I fitted a tuning chip a few weeks ago and my mpg has been better on some other regular routes but I didn't expect 70mpg. It might not be right due to the chip so happy to be corrected.

I also use a fuel additive and add it to normal diesel to try and re-create V-Power fuel at non-V-Power prices. No idea of it does anything but it smells the same!

B9MYO

Apr 9, 2020
I have a manual 2014 184 with 100,000 miles on it. Today I drove from Leicester to Wolverhampton and back, 150 mile round trip and got 70 mpg. It was a combination cruise control @ 70mph to 75mph and a few 60 and 50 bits with the variable speed limit. Just took it nice and easy and drove the car fairly normally.

I fitted a tuning chip a few weeks ago and my mpg has been better on some other regular routes but I didn't expect 70mpg. It might not be right due to the chip so happy to be corrected.

I also use a fuel additive and add it to normal diesel to try and re-create V-Power fuel at non-V-Power prices. No idea of it does anything but it smells the same!

If it's a diesel it's probably pretty accurate, most diesels can do 60-70mpg easily on motorway drives and especially if you're dipping down for VSL sections.

I've never used additives, if you want V Power fuel at non V power prices why not use Tesco Momentum? It can be picked up for around the same price as Shell standard fuel and I've never had an issue or noticed any difference

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020

That’s awesome mate! What chip was it, how do you rate it I’ve read mixed reviews on them to be honest, not sure if I’d want to go that route or not, am tempted though!

Josh.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
That’s awesome mate! What chip was it, how do you rate it I’ve read mixed reviews on them to be honest, not sure if I’d want to go that route or not, am tempted though!

Josh.

It's a TDI-Tuning one, so not cheap and cheerful. https://tdi-tuning.com/en-gb

Ideally, I'd have a remap done but budget didn't allow that. Got one off eBay that someone had for the same 184 with a matching CUPA engine code for £120 instead of £400+. So far so good. Nice squirt of power just above 3000 rpm, so it can be driven sensibly but if you want the power, it's there. You get a better pick up before that but it really comes alive from 3000 to 4500.

Some tuning boxes get better reviews than others and I can't really offer an opinion on that. The TDI one does seem to review fairly well but I'm sure the purists will say a remap is the only way. I certainly wouldn't go for any cheap Chinese stuff.

My MPG has deffo improved since I fitted it and I have extra power if I want it, so I'm happy with it.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
If it's a diesel it's probably pretty accurate, most diesels can do 60-70mpg easily on motorway drives and especially if you're dipping down for VSL sections.

I've never used additives, if you want V Power fuel at non V power prices why not use Tesco Momentum? It can be picked up for around the same price as Shell standard fuel and I've never had an issue or noticed any difference

My TDI isn't that keen on petrol. Or have I missed something?

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Nothing wrong with start stop all it will do is increase wear on the starter and battery longevity.

will not effect turbo / engine

i don’t notice much difference between any of the modes. Only that throttle response in eco mode is down right dangerous
I converted the throttle response in my car to linear. Before i agree, the throttle was super slow, especially when you needed to quickly nip on to a busy roundabout. After i switched to linear throttle, it is much easier to control the throttle in eco mode.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I converted the throttle response in my car to linear. Before i agree, the throttle was super slow, especially when you needed to quickly nip on to a busy roundabout. After i switched to linear throttle, it is much easier to control the throttle in eco mode.

Doesn't setting the throttle to linear simply negate eco mode? The whole point of eco mode is to curtail the throttle. What else can it do?

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Doesn't setting the throttle to linear simply negate eco mode? The whole point of eco mode is to curtail the throttle. What else can it do?
It still does curtail the throttle, just means you have to press the pedal further to get the same throttle you would get from comfort/sport etc.

In a manual you don't get much else other than throttle response and air conditioning reduction. If you have a DSG, the car changes gears much earlier, and will put the car in neutral when coasting.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
--------Snip --------

At least that’s how it is for me anyway on my R ST.

However I find stop/start is not available most of time anyway anymore unless I’ve either been on a long trip or recharged my battery :))

So, you are now getting an early warning that your battery health or aging is on the downward slope - or the battery management system needs looking at or S/W update maybe.

My February 2011 Audi S4 with its AGM battery is still looking good battery health or aging wise, it is always connected to a CTEK charger when not "out and about", my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI is or before lockdown, was used regularly and its EFB battery is aging slowly as is its health it tends to get a charge boost using a CTEK charger while it is only being used once a week, my older daughter's May 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra mainly gets used locally and since lockdown started has had its battery boosted using a CTEK charger weekly, and even before that its battery health and aging was shocking when compared with our 2 older cars. Car use and frequency of use have a lot to do with determining how long an EFB battery lasts assuming that they are all of the same quality - and that seems to be an issue for VW Group at the moment, and maybe some other car makers.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Echoing what some are saying here, use regular good fuel from Shell/Esso/Texaco/BP/Jet. Every 5th fill up which I guess would be the same as every 2.5k miles, perhaps give it a tank of their most expensive fuel, (Vpower, Supreme, Ultimate) not sure if Texaco and Jet has an equilavent or not. This should keep things going nicely. Eco mode, can't comment, as I haven't got this function.
Start/Stop I usually keep it enabled, when I approach a roundabout or when in crawling traffic, I would turn it off so engine doesn't turn off on me. If i am crawling, and I end up just stopping at the a red light, I would turn it back on (SS), and the engine goes off. I usually let it do its thing at the red light otherwise and turn the engine off. Does it save fuel, I believe so, perhaps a couple of mpg here and there. Didn't calculate, but pre-lockdown my usual jorney of 3-4 miles would usually get me around the 30mpg mark in city driving, with medium traffic, return leg about 37mpg. This is with startstop enabled with usually 7-8 traffic lights, of which 4-5 are usually red and me waiting with engine off, but 3 of these are long waits..like 30secs. As lockdown slowly lifted I did the same said journey, of course with much lighter traffic, but the same traffic lights, and as the battery was low, no start-stop avalaible, and both jounries I got around the same mpgs. However since the traffic was lighter and shorter waits at the lights, I would say Startstop would save fuel, as long as your wait times being stationary are long 20+ secs...it's worth using it. I can't see constant on off of engine just for 3-5 secs be any good for any of the components.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
So, you are now getting an early warning that your battery health or aging is on the downward slope - or the battery management system needs looking at or S/W update maybe.

I think I don’t drive the car enough that’s all.
Only done 4K in the last year.

Stop start comes back whenever I do a long enough drive to warm the car up.

Its the same on all my cars I have/had with stop/start, so its performing exactly as I’d expect it to.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
So still getting to grips with the car, done my first long journey in it, around 370 miles, was a lovely drive, had it in eco mode for majority of it and then normal/sport for the last 30 miles on some back roads.

I was worried it was going to cost me a fortune in fuel compared to my last car, 1.6 diesel Astra. However in eco mode I drove it how I used to drive the Astra, probably was about the same on fuel, could’ve been even slightly better but not much in it, overall really impressed with that, especially considering the extra power.

The throttle response is rubbish for normal driving in eco but on the motorway it was more than adequate, however I have noticed it won’t go into neutral when using cruise control. But was ideal for the motorway, really enjoyed the journey and then can have a lot more fun in it when not on the motorway. Really loving the car.

Josh.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020

What does this actually mean, what will it do in the other modes compared to how it comes out of the factory? Worth changing in your opinion?

Josh.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.