ECU Swapping

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Coming up too often now - so a sticky is on order:)

from: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/immobilizer2.html

ECU Swapping with Immobilizer 2
Posted 24 Jun. 2003

Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk.

Immobilizer II:

The immobilizer will prevent the car from running without a matching key microchip. There is a symbol in the instrument cluster showing a key inside a car. If a new (or different ECU) is installed in the vehicle, the immobilizer will prevent the car from running and will cause the symbol to flash. Here is the procedure to introduce a new ECU to the instrument cluster. This must be performed each time ECU's are exchanged. This does not apply to installing a "chip" in the same ECU that is already aligned with the car.

Immo-3 knows your car's VIN. Access 17-Instruments (or separate 25-Immobilizer on vehicles that are set up that way) and look at the first "Extra" field.

If you see something like: "Immo-ID VWZ7Z0W0648696" You've got Immo-2 (or maybe even Immo-1 in earlier non-US models).

If you see something like "WVZKB58001H231169 VWZ7Z0W0648696" You've got
Immo-3. The first 17-digit string is the VIN. The second 14-digit string in the Immo-ID.

Install the new ECU in the car
[Select]

[17 - Instruments]

[Adaptation - 10]
Leave channel at "00"

[Read]

[Save]

[Done, Go Back]

[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

[Exit]

Turn ignition OFF for 15 seconds. Start vehicle.

Note: For cars with a separate Immobilizer (Includes 2000+ EuroVan, Cabrio, and many older non-US models), use [25 Immobilizer] instead of [17 - Instruments]. The rest of the procedure is the same.

rob_g_scotland

Help!!, my ECU querie is probably a common one, but i dont know the answer yet. Can anyone tell me if i can fit the ecu from a leon cupra R, to my leon cupra 180bhp?, ive just bought one and im hoping its just a case of getting it reprogrammed for the immobilizer at at VW/Seat dealer, and then get the full 225 bhp. Is this correct?. My car is a 2000 model, and the ECU is for a 2004.

rob_g_scotland

Can you expand on "that just wont work"?, do u mean the ecu is not compatable, or i wont get a power increase or what?. Is there a chip i can take out the "R" ecu and fit in the 180 ecu then, or will i just have to try and sell this "R" ecu, its brand new and wasnt cheap, and non-returnable!. Yout help would be appreciated, thanks, Rob G.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
rob_g_scotland said:
Can you expand on "that just wont work"?, do u mean the ecu is not compatable, or i wont get a power increase or what?. Is there a chip i can take out the "R" ecu and fit in the 180 ecu then, or will i just have to try and sell this "R" ecu, its brand new and wasnt cheap, and non-returnable!. Yout help would be appreciated, thanks, Rob G.

bit like asking if yo were to stick a ferrari badge on the back would you get F340 performance, in a word NO!

As in the above the differences are a lot more than just ECu trickery, try stronger block, bigger turbo, twin cats, twin intercooler, different boost pipes, injectors, etc etc ad te list goes on.

bang i on ebay, someone may need it,

rob_g_scotland

oh well, that was a waste of money then!!, ile just put it on ebay, try and get something back for it, and ile stick to 180bhp for the moment. If anyone out there wants an ECU for a 2004 model "R", send me an email, ile settle for £175, its brand new, and i was told Seat/VW charge about £650 for these!!

tacroy

It is possible to clone ecu information, chassis number and SKC code. This does away with trying to recode the ecu with vagcom.
Its possible on all EDC15 and EDC16 ecu's and selected ME7's.

tacroy

It takes me a whole 30 secs to flash an EDC15 or ME7 ecu.
Granted an EDC16 ecu at the moment has opened, but I'm sure once the correct protocols have been cracked it will be done through the k-line.

Theresias

It takes me a whole 30 secs to flash an EDC15 or ME7 ecu.

As said, in general the same or more time that it takes to use a normal diagnostic tool.

Granted an EDC16 ecu at the moment has opened, but I'm sure once the correct protocols have been cracked it will be done through the k-line.

Would be hard since the one I have on my desk doesn't have a K-line. ;)

Anyway, enough cat fight. Please keep in mind that people normally (legally) pay a good amount of money for the tools you need for flashing.

May 2, 2006
removed my scuttle panel tonight and had a quick glance at my ecu, it apprears to be wrapped in what i can only discribe as insulation tape, to remove the actual ecu do you have to remove this tape, then unscrew the ecu form its housing im guessing?

from memory, roughly how long should the actual ecu swap take, from taking mine out, replacing it and setting up immobilser 2 so it works with my car (swapping for standard ecu by the way)

im hoping to receive the ecu and swap it out on my dinner hour so i can send mine off

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
should be no unscrewing required... just a slide in & out job (minding the latches on the side that might need persuading out)

Just slide the securing latch from the connectors & remove them - then you should be free to pull the ECU out

Probably 20 mins to do both donor & recipient cars for an ECU swap

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members