ECU Upgrade

Tell

Staff member
My dearest Seat dealer re-programmed my car without asking when I had it serviced to the latest software. I asked what would have happened if I'd had it remapped / chipped etc. Think I meant the former, they didn't know.

I said well I think if I'd spent £600 having it remapped you would have just deleted it. They shrugged their shoulders. They got me to sign for it after they had done it.

Am I correct in thinking that ?.

It goes now even more like a rocket.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Some tuners software locks everyone else out (even the dealers) so they can't overwrite the mapping. However, some others are left open and can be rewritten by the dealers. In those circumstances the tuner would probably re do it for free.

Jun 28, 2001
it will wipe ANY remap on there and is used only on ceratin models to sort out clitches/flat spots

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
hmmm mine seems quite ok, got a few glitches every now and again with the wipers n mirrors, but nothing much!

Quite tempted by a remap...

Tell

Staff member
ooooh a software upgrade sounds good!

any details on for which models?

My car is a DSG TDI 140. The paper work I signed didn't say which release it was. We need Klawit I suspect to talk about releases. My cars three years old so the ECU would have been from then.

I'm glad I didn't have a remap since it sounds like a total waste of money if the garage deletes it again without asking. It would only temp me to speed as well.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
My car is a DSG TDI 140. The paper work I signed didn't say which release it was. We need Klawit I suspect to talk about releases. My cars three years old so the ECU would have been from then.
Hi Tell,

thou I'm not posting much recently, I'm a regular reader of all the going-ons here.

Well, fact is, speaking of early models, that there were lots of complaints about jerky idling in combination with the DSG.
Then there were several updates for both the engine's as the gearbox's ECU.
(btw. it was reported, that the dealers - at least over in Germany - were instructed ONLY to refresh the software, when customer complains ...)

Now ... maybe SEAT has developed some new releases recently or updating was necessary or even a pre-/corequisite for other ECU's sw-levels ... unfortunately I have no current infos on this.

Finally... the recently noticed gain of acceleration can probably be explained quite simple:
The DSG is self-learning! ... It kind of observes the common behaviour of the drivers way of jumping gears, kicking floor etc ... and computes best or at least most efficient / economic way to switch gears.
So the old ECU-sw got accustomed to your driving over the three years ... which the new setup has to gather and measure from scratch.

I'd say, that's why you experience your ALTEA as being more lively or even faster right now.

greets ... Klaus

Tell

Staff member
Thanks klawit... not too sure about the last bit that after three years the car learnt that I was a stable steady man and drove slowly so it did the job ;).... now perhaps until it learns again it considers me as a sporty German / Spanish driver until it learns otherwise.

When I mentioned whether there was a software upgrade six months after I'd had bought it they didn't want to know [the garage has now changed hands and they are more customer focussed] and then in the back of my mind I did wonder whether they had changed the software without telling me. The idle has always been fine although I did have the starting problem several times in the first year. Cold starts some times need a bit of extra push on the peddle to flood the engine with diesel, but otherwise.

If the MPG changes I'll let you know.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise