ECU Water Problem

djr

Hi people
Im new to this site and have just bought a mk3 ibiza cupra in black.
Now the car wont start or the ignition wont come on or anything!!
I browsed the site and saw about water in the ecu so i pulled the plugs off that go into it and they are full of water!!
So i am wondering if i will need a replacement ecu or can it be fixed or anything like that??
Any help is greatly appreciated as i dont have a clue to be fair!!
thanks
Daniel :)

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
Random question, was this the one off ebay....?

If you have abit more of a search i remember someone saying they removed the ecu and left it dry and cleaned it with something. Cant remember for the life of me what exactly it was though.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
It may have been tool cleaner. You'll need to remove it, open it up and place it somewhere warm to try to get rid of any water. May I suggest an airing cupboard, and place it next to a pot of salt to absorb any moisture.

If that doesn't work then its new ECU time.

Drop me a PM if it comes to a New ECU being needed.

Last edited:

djr

Thanks alot for your help guys!!
If it did come to getting a new ecu what kinda money would i be looking at to get one and programmed?

djr

The battery is fine mate.
When you pull the plugs out of the ecu they are full of water
Thanks anyway! how much of a tit would i look if that was the problem! lol

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Thanks alot for your help guys!!
If it did come to getting a new ecu what kinda money would i be looking at to get one and programmed?

Brand new ECU are around £600 upwards iirc
Then the cost of remap, £300 to £500 depending on which company.

Or second hand you probably looking at £200 for an ECU, and £300 for a remapped ECU.

(There have been cheaper ones, but this is a guide)

malcpw

Contact cleaner can be had from Halfords about £3/4.

I recently dropped a socket down side of vented panel at base of windscreen when I recovered socket I was amazed at how wet the ECU was. The contact end seemed well protected but rest of it was soaking wet. I dried it out and cut a sheet of plastic that I then silicon sealed to the existing water proofing so it wouldn't be getting deluged.

Another case of Seat lack of attention to issues related to a wet climate I guess.

Malcolm

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.