Electric window fix

neilmac

Just starting to tweak...
Jul 12, 2006
Guys, Ive got the same problem on my Wifes Altea drivers door...squeeking..creeks..it also stopped lifting the window up briefly. Just to clarify are the cables and the regulator separate or are the wires and integral part of the regulator, hence why people have just gone for the regulator where as the cables involved opening up the regulator?

Just trying to decide whether to give it a go myself...or not!

Dandle

Dec 17, 2007
Ashford
The regulator comes apart so you can replace the cables. If your practicle its worth doing just the cables yourself although I found for the final part of connecting all back up I needed and extra pair of hands to hold the tension while popping the last plastic end in place. Just take your time and follow the guide from earlier and its worth taking photos a key stages so if you get muddled up with where cables go you can refer back. It took me about 2.5 hrs to complete the passenger door.

Its also worth putting plenty of grease around the cables, as the kit from ebay doesnt come with any I used petroleum jelly. Put loads around the pulley and over all the parts of the cables you can. They wont last long if left dry. The drum MWG shows is sided so you need to know what cable to wind on what side of the drum so when you pull it off the regualtor make a note.

neilmac

Jul 12, 2006
The regulator comes apart so you can replace the cables. If your practicle its worth doing just the cables yourself although I found for the final part of connecting all back up I needed and extra pair of hands to hold the tension while popping the last plastic end in place. Just take your time and follow the guide from earlier and its worth taking photos a key stages so if you get muddled up with where cables go you can refer back. It took me about 2.5 hrs to complete the passenger door.

Its also worth putting plenty of grease around the cables, as the kit from ebay doesnt come with any I used petroleum jelly. Put loads around the pulley and over all the parts of the cables you can. They wont last long if left dry. The drum MWG shows is sided so you need to know what cable to wind on what side of the drum so when you pull it off the regualtor make a note.

Thanks for the info matey....weighing up the extra cost of a regulator vs the work to do this...I think Im going to just go for a new regulator. I've just not got enough time these days to spend tinkering on cars!

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
It is a real pig of a job to do, especially on your own. If i'd have known it was £150 odd i probably would have taken it into the dealers and let them worry about it

neilmac

Jul 12, 2006
It is a real pig of a job to do, especially on your own. If i'd have known it was £150 odd i probably would have taken it into the dealers and let them worry about it

I'm convinced.

neilmac

Jul 12, 2006
Just to say I bought the regulator from David @ seremotors and got Jochen @ vwgroups http://www.****************/ to fit for me. Cant remember exactly what I paid for the regulator (just under a £100 rings a bell) and Jochen fitted for a very reasonable price - and did an excellent job. If you live in Hertfordshire - Id recommend saving yourself a lot of time (and possibly money) and just get the whole regulator.

Weewaawoowaa

Mar 8, 2014
Tricky job but thanks

I know this is an old thread but I just have to thank the guys who took the effort to post guidance instructions, tips and photos particularly MWG.

I started on my Altea FSi 2005reg on saturday despite there being more than enough comments advising me not to bother ! I priced a regulator up at £110 to which i cringed at.

Having finally got to the interesting parts I found the 2 wires going back to the main motor pulley where totally mushed up in the housing and had also damaged the housing and pulley support peg! Having priced a new/second hand motor at £80 I set about making a new pulley support peg to fit over what remained of the original.

This worked well and the next thing was the pigging wires. Having assembled the regulator 90% i left just 1 pulley to loop in. The tension required to fit up all pulleys is almost suggesting the wires are too short. I pushed the runners down the rails to tension one side and clamped it in position with the sprng at the motor housing entry guide totally compressed.
I then forced the other runner down on the rail to tension the other side and forced the wire around the the last pulley. You would swear the arrangemetn was then TOO tight but its all ok and works same speed as other window.

I took the opportunity to waxoil the bottom of the inside of the door and cleac up all the wiper seals.

not sure ill do the same on the other doors though !?

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
The wife drives a 2007 Altea 1.9TDi Sport. We've had it from new and the window cables in both front doors broke withing 3 months and were replaced under warranty.

We're now several years down the line and pulling into a car park last week the drivers door window went down but wouldn't go back up again. To make matters worse this was 30 miles from home and it was pouring with rain. :censored:

2017-01-09%2015.59.41_zpsgh23gjm0.jpg

As my better half needs the car this week for work I bought a whole new regulator from Euro Car Parts for £91.99.

I called in at 5 local garages and none of them could even look at it for the best part of a week (post Christmas rush and all that). One garage even said they wouldn't do the job using the part I'd already got as it would invalidate any warranty. :handbags: I can see where he was coming from but he then said any parts he ordered would have come from Euro anyway.

20170108_100256_zpsaehgb97q.jpg

Armed with a small set of star sockets and some basic tools including (importantly) a plastic cycle tyre lever for popping the trim clips I set to stripping off the door card....

20170108_100230_zpset6b90ao.jpg

20170108_100242_zpss71hxlrg.jpg

Within two hours I had the door apart and the culprit was out....(broken cable top left)

20170108_101912-1_zpsxpdvei8f.jpg

When the cable snapped it became tangled up around the wheel that locates onto the motor...

20170108_102809_zpscolkygjp.jpg

As previously suggested on here I did a few dry runs up and down before tightening the top bolts on the vertical runners. The bottom two bolts only go in place after the door card has been refitted which made the job somewhat tricky as the runners swing into the void inside the door. With the glass half way down to help alignment and bit of pulling, I finally managed.

I'm happy to report that all is now working and with the £100+ saved by doing it myself a table has now been booked to celebrate.;)

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Good work, done this twice now. Word of advice , buy online and save 20 quid on that price!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Horse has bolted now but euro do click and collect with internet prices. I had the same urgency and the guy in store luckily filled me in!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Mickmail111

Nov 20, 2012
Chesterfield Derbyshire
I know this is an old thread but Euro have had an offer of 40% off I got a regulator assembly for my Altea XL 09 (minus motor but with pre wound cables onto drum, held fast with a cable tie) , free delivery for £31.84! no where near as much a pain as replacing the cables, just diss-assemble the old regulator, locate 2 screws and partially slide the drum onto the motor splines, snip and slide out the cable tie, and add screw no3 and tighten up! pre tensioned, so no messing about !

Reactions: redlockrasta
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise