Electric window problem

benjamin.oates

Hello,

This morning when leaving for work I decided to clear the door windows of water by winding them down and then back up, unfortunately the window on the passanger side didn't re-emerge, which was not ideal given the weather!

The switch still seems to operate the motors as they are audible on operation, along with a tortured glass sound. When I got back this evening I removed the outer plastic door card and started on the inner metal one, although the weather and lack of light defeated me. From what I could see the glass itself was intact but i wasn't able to see the working parts of the electric windows.

I suspect something has gone wrong with the mechanism such as a pully moving or breaking and then scraping along the glass whilst the motor is operating. Has anyone seen anything like this before and is there any advise on what I can expect to find? I've done a search but not found anything similar so far.

Also I'll try and remember to take a few photos as I go along tomorrow in case they'll be of use to anyone else. Bring on the rain and the cold...

Cheers

benjamin.oates

Cheers for the reply UncleFester. Bit more searching shows that it's probably a problem with the window regulator clips with the fix to be found here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

I'll be having fun tomorrow. Looks like it's going to piss it down tonight, hopefully the borrowed car cover keeps it vaguely protected.

I've had the the Leon since November and like the car, but it does seem to have a lot of niggily little problems... touch wood this will be the last of them.

And a couple of minutes after writing the above I get a knock on the door from the neighbour saying the cover has blown off the car, damn! luckily renting a house on a farm means there is plenty of barn space available for ailing Seats, should keep it relatively dry for the night with any luck...

Last edited by a moderator:

benjamin.oates

Right, got the metal door card off and found that one of the plastic window clips is broken and the cable around the central pully is mangled, so the regulator is well and truely dead. I've ordered a replacement off ebay and should be a pretty easy fix.

However, the harness connector that powers the regulator motor (see pic below) broke as i removed it.

WindowRegulator11.jpg

Any idea if there is a part number for the connector so I can order a replacement or is it going to have to be a temporary bodge until i can get down to the scrap yard to pick out a replacement?

Cheers

M90TEN

ah memories of my mk4 golf. i had mine happen to me on the m4. an AA man and some gaffa tape sorted me out. i got my parts from a breakers yard as the stealers wanted a bit too much money for tiny bits of plastic. hope you get it sorted soon

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
be very careful mate - it will be the window regulator thats gone (the wire-system used to pull window up and down)

However, if you've been attempting to use it with the motor when it's been duff, you MUST check out your motor and associated gearing, as mine was all chewed up and cost me somewhere in the region of about £200 just for parts.

Very common problem on these cars unfortunately :(

benjamin.oates

The cable was mangled around the central pulley, but the motor appears to be in working order still and the plastic gearing has survived. When the plastic window clip failed the metal cable became detached so hopefully the load on the motor was kept to a minimum. I'll test it tomorrow at some point to make sure i don't need a new motor as well, if i do then it's a trip to the scrap yard cause there's no way i'm paying stupid money a replacement. Till then i'll be happy to have some galss in place in the window that isn't held on with tape, passengers can sit in the back if they want a window to wind up and down...

Hopefully i'll have fixed it by next weekend, got my OBDII cable through the post this week and was looking forward to spending this weekend faffing around with vag-com rather than taking the door apart. The novelty of a 'modern' (2001 so actually pretty old sadly) with an ECU and diagnostics hasn't worn off yet!

Cheers for the information and the general sympathy people!

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
sorry to hijack but it saves another thread on this...

i was pulling in to my drive last night, put my driverside window up and heard a little bang.

the window did not move up or down but the motor was still opperating.
i took everything apart and had a look but can see any problems, both of the plastic runners for the window are still fine and the cables that pull the window up and down seem tight.

i guess i will have to remove the window over the weekend and remove the whole window unit just to see what has gone wrong :(.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
well about 4 hours later and I can answer my own question just in case anyone else is wondering about doing it!

its not as bad as it seems, everything comes apart and goes back together pretty simply. I did a couple things different to the guide:

I took the window glass out completelywhich makes it much easier to manover the ancillary panle into position.

Also because I'm part of the leaky leon crew I also added a bead of silicon sealent around the bottom of the ancillaries panel to sotp water from coming through it.

My problem turned out to be 2 things, one cracked clip, and secondly the metal cables for teh pulley system had got all chewed up and twisted and frayed.

a quick call to my local scrapyard and for £45 they sold me the whole ancillaries panel including the motor so from then on it was pretty much plug and play!

All in all, its taken me about 4 hours todo that includes a trip across town to get the part, getting the tools out packing the away and also haveing lunch. so not as bad as I thought!

hope that info is of use to anyone with similar problems

CJA

Sep 18, 2007
Does anyone have the part number for the VW or seat parts like the above? I have the same problems.

CJA

Sep 18, 2007
thanks, got them from a vw main dealer. Now its spanner time!

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site

my window packed in. Luckily enough it was in the up postion when it went. You could hear the motor going but it wouldn't move up or down. I wasn't sure what part had went as it could have been the regulator clips, the pully mechanism or anyhting. So I bought the whole kit. It wasn't the £60 OEM kit it was an aftemarket one for about £25 which had the clips the pully etc everything you needed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-LEON-WIN...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b11be676

Eventually got a mate to strip it down and it turned out the window had just come off the track so didn't need any of the parts afterall! Clipped it back in and away it went. If anyone wants the kit for £10 + P&P its yours! :doh:

cheers

cmc

Last edited:

antlfc81

Jan 5, 2013
Just brought a 53 plate Leon but the passenger window won't work, all others do any suggestions pls guys

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members