EmDee420 Camaro SS Paint Correction Detail

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
American Muscle was the theme of the weekend. EmDee420 contact me to detail his father’s Camaro SS for his birthday and I jumped at the opportunity to detail something different. Not knowing much about Chevrolet Camaro SS I was surprised to see it had same block as the corvette. Here are some specifications on the car.

SPECIFICATIONS
2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Engine Type: aluminum alloy pushrod overhead valve 16-valve V8
Engine Size: 5.7 liters / 346 cu. in.
Horsepower: 320 @ 5200 rpm
Torque (lb-ft): 345 @ 4400 rpm
Curb Weight: 3439 lbs. Pounds Per Horsepower 10.7

PERFORMANCE
0 to 60 mph : 5.3 sec
1/4 mile (E.T.) : 13.7 sec

Weather in the morning wasn’t great however that didn’t stop me getting out the tools and cracking on. Due to the weather being bad in the morning and making things take longer than normal I didn’t get to many before and after pictures on correcting the panels as I would have normal due to time restrictions. Hope you enjoy the detail nevertheless!

Morning
Here are the before pictures. As you will see the car was pretty dirty and the thing I noticed the most was how many crevasses the Camaro had to store big lumps of dirt.

DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1209.jpg

DSCF1214.jpg

DSCF1215.jpg

Products

Wash n Dry
Meguairs NXT Tech Shampoo
Car-Lack 68 Shampoo
Meguairs All Purpose Cleaner
Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser
Autosmart Tardis
Super Snow Foam
Sonus Drying Towels

Body Work
Cleanyourcar fine polyclay
Meguairs Last Touch quick detailer
Menzerna Intensive Polish 85RD3.02

Polishes, Sealants and Waxes
CarLack 68 Acrylic Sealant
Dodo Juice Lime Prime

Plastics, Rubbers and Glass
Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care
Turtlewax Glass cleaner
Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel

Tools
Meguiars G220 mk2 machine polisher
Karcher Pressure washer
Snow foam Lance
Lake Country - Yellow Cutting Pad & Menzerna Polish Pad (Orange)
Swissvax Detail Brushes
Meguiars Wheel Spoke Brush & Vikan Brushes
3M 3434 Masking Tape
Foam and Microfiber applicators

Wheels

Wheels and arches were covered in stuck on brake dust, tar and dirt. I used a strong mix of Megs APC at a dilution ration of 4:1. I also sprayed Autosmart Tardis and CG Orange degreaser in the arches and inside of the alloy to break down the caked on muck.

DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Rubber seals were cleaned with Megs APC.

DSCF1224.jpg

DSCF1225.jpg

My last bit of Super Snow foam was used. I just over an inch of super snow foam to help loosen the caked on dirt and left on the car for a good 6-7 minutes.

DSCF1229.jpg

Car was then washed with Meguairs NXT Gen shampoo.

DSCF1238.jpg

I didn’t bother drying the car at this stage. Moved straight onto claying. Some of the panels didn’t have much dirt on and some of them felt like sandpaper to the touch. For a car that has never been clayed in 10 years the difference was incredible. It brought back a lot of shine to the lifeless paint.

DSCF1245.jpg

Massive improvement after the clay, wash and dry.

DSCF1247.jpg

DSCF1250.jpg

During the detail I had the pleasure of explaining the cleaning process to EmDee’s father who was in turn educating me about the car and its life. I explained that as the car is 10 years old I would spend a lot of the time trying to get rid of as many defects (swirls and scratches) as possible. I also explained the differences between the various sealants and polishes I had and what type of look I was going for. Being a silver car I chose the sealant route for a nice cool sleek finish, CarLack just works wonders in silver and grey cars.

DSCF1253.jpg

Car was all taped up and ready to be corrected. Halogen lights where setup and this time I managed to keep some spare bulbs with me in case they died. Upon inspection the swirls were visible at certain angles but not so visible to the camera. Needless to say the results speak for themselves.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Rear Bumper before
DSCF1285.jpg

Rear Bumper after
DSCF1289.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg

What a day! I am really pleased with how the car turned out considering its age. The paint work afterwards was super smooth and glossy. I have no doubt with more time spent on her in the future even better results can be had to refine the reflections further.

Big thanks to EmDee420 and EmDee420 Senior for showering me with Coffee and soft drinks throughout the day.

Results

DSCF1299.jpg

DSCF1304.jpg

DSCF1305.jpg

DSCF1310.jpg

DSCF1315.jpg

DSCF1318.jpg

DSCF1320.jpg

Last edited:

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Thanks Maz, great job! Me Old Man was (and still is) over the moon. You conducted yourself very professionally and did an amazing job. My Mum said it was like some sort of performance art!
Cheers for everything and hopefully I can afford to invite you to do my car soon ;)

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Thanks Maz, great job! Me Old Man was (and still is) over the moon. You conducted yourself very professionally and did an amazing job. My Mum said it was like some sort of performance art!
Cheers for everything and hopefully I can afford to invite you to do my car soon ;)

Good Grief! If you find the money, shout! I want a car that shiny! Super job Jon. Silver cars come up very nice when done right.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thanks for the kind words and your most welcome. :)

Got a few new tricks for black cars too so get saving hehe!

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Looks great :) I've looked through a few of your detailing threads before and i'm always impressed at how well the paintwork looks after you've worked your magic!

cuprachrissy

how much do you charge mate? ibiza mk3 full detail. thanks, oh and top job on the corvette mate!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise