Engine cover Gone !

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
Ok so had car in dock recently for oil leak (second E888 engine with oil leak) anyway awaiting to take it back to them so they can use oil leak detection spray on it !
for the past few days i thought the car sounded noisier than usual ,not the quietest engine as it is.so i popped the bonnet and no engine cover !
i rang the stealers to ask and the service department said they would look into where it had gone and call me back immediately.
i waited 40 mins and nothing so called back and got the service manager he told me they had to remove it and i could not have it back as there was a recall on them.i asked why i was not told this he could not answer ,i said i wanted to go and collect it he said i was not allowed due to the recall,SEAT are looking into redesigning it so it is safe ,so be aware if you take your car in with the E888 engine the dealer will take the cover .apparently if they are not correctly fitted they can fall back onto the turbo and catch fire.
this is apparently affecting the whole of the VAG group with this issue .eventually they will be replaced ...........i reckon at least a year ,so now my noisey engined Formentor sounds even more like a bag of spanners .i hate this car more every week,,,,,,,last week all the display went black even the cockpit display ,,,,,maybe it would have been kinder to let the bloody thing burn to death whilst i watched for 30 mins until i knew it was dead and then rang the fire brigade.:rolleyes:

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Yep. They've no idea when replacements are due. Too late for you of course however best bet for anyone visiting the dealers is to remove it themselves first!

You could complain to them and say you didn't authorise the recall work and that the part has effectively been "stolen". Doubt you'll get far though.

Reactions: ninja_geezer

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
Still makes me giggle that people actually think there will be "replacements"...

Maybe history will prove me wrong but I doubt it: we will never get our engines re-covered by the dealers.

(Mine was taken a few months ago)

Just hope they are being responsibly disposed of and not going to landfill. Doubt it though.

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
won't be getting another ~SEAT in the near future again that's for sure ...BMW or audi again next year.

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
Do you buy a car to drive or to look at the plastic piece of junk under the bonnet? They have removed it for your protection and under recall guidance - crying about it is just silly
Its not plastic its heavy rubber sound deadening material .its not the point they have removed a part off my car with no consent or even mentioning ,its called stealing you plonker !!! and yes i feel very strongly about it. if I removed a component from one off my customers bit of kit without telling them they would kick off no matter what the reason is !!! so unless you have anything sensible to add butt out . :rolleyes:

rubeck1s

Jul 15, 2022
Its not plastic its heavy rubber sound deadening material .its not the point they have removed a part off my car with no consent or even mentioning ,its called stealing you plonker !!! and yes i feel very strongly about it. if I removed a component from one off my customers bit of kit without telling them they would kick off no matter what the reason is !!! so unless you have anything sensible to add butt out . :rolleyes:
If they are required to remove it, what would you expect them to do? They probably can't let the vehicle leave the premises without completing what is due related to the recall. Yes, it might not be as pretty and is an inconvenience, albeit minor, but I'd rather get it removed to prevent the fire hazard than kick up a fuss like a little girl at starbucks who did not get enough choco sprinkles on her latte. If you asked them to get you a bonnet insulation instead, they would probably get one for you for free.

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
In this world of health and safety they have to act responsibly or they end up getting sued.

Based on your rant, it's probably best they intervene to save you from yourself.

Mine has been removed and to my ears it makes no difference.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
I received my car without it, sure I would have liked to have a cover but don't think its that noisy at all, after all its a 310 hp engine, it can never sound as a 100 hp engine and that's what sets it apart.

Reactions: Napmasterflash

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Ok so had car in dock recently for oil leak (second E888 engine with oil leak) anyway awaiting to take it back to them so they can use oil leak detection spray on it !
for the past few days i thought the car sounded noisier than usual ,not the quietest engine as it is.so i popped the bonnet and no engine cover !
i rang the stealers to ask and the service department said they would look into where it had gone and call me back immediately.
i waited 40 mins and nothing so called back and got the service manager he told me they had to remove it and i could not have it back as there was a recall on them.i asked why i was not told this he could not answer ,i said i wanted to go and collect it he said i was not allowed due to the recall,SEAT are looking into redesigning it so it is safe ,so be aware if you take your car in with the E888 engine the dealer will take the cover .apparently if they are not correctly fitted they can fall back onto the turbo and catch fire.
this is apparently affecting the whole of the VAG group with this issue .eventually they will be replaced ...........i reckon at least a year ,so now my noisey engined Formentor sounds even more like a bag of spanners .i hate this car more every week,,,,,,,last week all the display went black even the cockpit display ,,,,,maybe it would have been kinder to let the bloody thing burn to death whilst i watched for 30 mins until i knew it was dead and then rang the fire brigade.:rolleyes:
Great post and sums my feelings up on this car as well.

I even said to the wife earlier hopefully it'll get so hot in the sun over the next few days that it'll catch fire and then I can get something else. :ROFLMAO:

And to those criticising, the point is the customer should be informed of a recall and the procedure detailed to them. Just taking something of the car and not bothering to tell the owner of the vehicle really isn't on and just demonstrates the dealer couldn't give a s***.

Reactions: Terry99

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
If they are required to remove it, what would you expect them to do? They probably can't let the vehicle leave the premises without completing what is due related to the recall. Yes, it might not be as pretty and is an inconvenience, albeit minor, but I'd rather get it removed to prevent the fire hazard than kick up a fuss like a little girl at starbucks who did not get enough choco sprinkles on her latte. If you asked them to get you a bonnet insulation instead, they would probably get one for you for free.
Can't let it leave the premises? It's YOUR car. What they gonna do, impound it? They can recommend you have it done, but it's the choice of the customer. Sure they can refuse to accept the car without it being done, but certainly not refuse to let it leave.

johanr77

Sep 13, 2021
So if you don't get it done and the car catches fire where does that leave you with insurance?

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Absolutely fine if you’ve not been informed of the recall as the op hadn’t been. Even now he’s not had official notification from Cupra he’s simply had it removed by the dealer.

this has nothing to do with owner safety this is purely down to the cost of claims against them. As there’s a risk of fire the cost of claims could potentially be very high as there’s a possibility of someone dying or being seriously injured so they can’t take the risk. If it was a case of just engine damage without the risk of fire this recall wouldn’t have happened.

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
All those complaining should have the engine cover refitted and let evolution take its course.

I feel as a population we would be in a better place if we follow this route.

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
Absolutely fine if you’ve not been informed of the recall as the op hadn’t been. Even now he’s not had official notification from Cupra he’s simply had it removed by the dealer.

this has nothing to do with owner safety this is purely down to the cost of claims against them. As there’s a risk of fire the cost of claims could potentially be very high as there’s a possibility of someone dying or being seriously injured so they can’t take the risk. If it was a case of just engine damage without the risk of fire this recall wouldn’t have happened.
Yes of course it's money related. Everything is money related. A death means they get sued.

I can't even believe people are winging about this.

Reactions: Rockyfuzzball

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
All those complaining should have the engine cover refitted and let evolution take its course.

I feel as a population we would be in a better place if we follow this route.

Completely agree and there’d hopefully be less of these S**t formentors the road. :ROFLMAO:

we get it, you like yours but you have to accept that others may have developed a different opinion based on their own experiences. What winds me up may not bother you and vice a verse and that’s why we are all allowed to have an opinion. Personal attacks aren’t needed. 😀

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
There are no personal attacks. This approach would be to gather a group together who moan about everything and let nature do its thing.

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
There are no personal attacks. This approach would be to gather a group together who moan about everything and let nature do its thing.

So what exactly would nature do if a group of people got together to moan?

What you meant was that you were hoping these people would burn in a fire from a faulty engine cover. I’d class myself as one of those people as I’m always moaning about this car with good reason. Not sure I'd wish someone dead over them making a poor purchasing decision though. :ROFLMAO:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.