Engine mount failure

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi Everyone,

I've had a Full THS FR3 kit fitted to my Cupra R for about 6 months. Unfortunately the bolts that attach an engine mount (not the THS part apparently) to the engine block have for some reason sheared off and caused not only the obvious failure to the engine mount but also a failure of the 1/4" brake pipe leading from the brake master cylinder to the ABS unit while I was on the motorway.

Any ideas how this could have happened? Why have the bolts sheared off? Have they been overtightened during the fitting of the THS FR3 kit?

Any ideas welcomed.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
They probably were not tightened (as you say, over tightened) to the correct setting and i'd check you engine block hasnt sustained any damage aswell!

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I would say the mounts have been way over tightened on fitting your mount kit. there is a torque setting for the mounts so this doesnt happen. i would expect a monkey has blasted the bolts on with a windy gun.

Its so important to adhere to the torque settings to stop vibrations etc, someone has well f**ked your car up mate!!!

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
I know the THS engine mount is a 2 part affair but is one of these parts mounted directly into the engine block with stretch bolts? The mechanic fixing the car said that it wasn't the THS engine mount that needed replacing but a Seat part. How do the engine mounts attach to the block?

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
Ollie at THS said VAG recommend that new bolts should be used. I've no idea if new bolts were actually used, maybe the receipt might have some information. I think I'm going to struggle pointing any blame towards the mechanic that fitted them. Hard to prove anything isn't it.

Thanks for responses guys.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It should have been fitted with new bolts but would doubt if you didn't supply them they weren't.

As being stretch and without the workshop manual or previous knowledge I would doubt the proper fitting technique was adhered to.
As you said very difficult to prove

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise