Engine noise problem solved!! - Seat Bulletin available

MCGlasgow

Just a quick follow up on this from me - I took mine in to the SEAT garage in Uddingston and the service manager took the car for a test run. He said the noise was totally normal and nothing to worry about (although it is not as loud as the clip above).

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
An update, took the car to the stealers today regarding the owl noise from the turbo.

He explained to me it is nothing to be concerned about. As with all working parts he said the noise is a consequence of normal wear, and if anything its telling us that it is working. He said if there was a boost leak, if it was under or overboosting, the engine management system would kick in (limp mode). Guess ill have to put up with the owl noise. To be honest I dont pay as much attention to it as I did when it first became noticeable.

The car still pulls like a train, no performance loss, still great mpg, no smoke when pushed hard. Happy days :p

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Well along with the turbo noise, it needed a new clutch flywheel and a timing belt!
So best idea was to get rid of it.

Traded in for a Mazda 3 2.0 Sport. A bit different, but happy with the decision. Had to many niggles with the Leon.

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
Your leon turbo owl was the noisiest ive ever heard, not surprised u got rid of it. Im on 47k miles, so no need for timing belt for another 13k or so.

Interesting choice in the mazda, if I were to have choice it would have to be a Golf mk6, maybe the scirocco if my budget would extend that far.

Did you find the price had depreciated considerably? I find the Leons are good at holding there value. Did you part exchange it? Or did you sell it to the dealers / privately?

I know the Mazda performance wise is practically identical, does it drive well? I have to say its smart, but not a looker like the Leon :p

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Your leon turbo owl was the noisiest ive ever heard, not surprised u got rid of it. Im on 47k miles, so no need for timing belt for another 13k or so.

Interesting choice in the mazda, if I were to have choice it would have to be a Golf mk6, maybe the scirocco if my budget would extend that far.

Did you find the price had depreciated considerably? I find the Leons are good at holding there value. Did you part exchange it? Or did you sell it to the dealers / privately?

I know the Mazda performance wise is practically identical, does it drive well? I have to say its smart, but not a looker like the Leon :p

Timing belt is at 80k mate.

I had the car for 14months, done 24000miles, and sold it for 1k less than what i had purchased it for, so yeah, i did feel that they held well.

It was a trade at an Arnold Clark Renualt Garage. Its nice to drive, more comfortable place to be, although i do miss the Leons firmness (Mine was a sport, with the sport suspension).
Lack of torque is the biggie, really have to use the gears, but it does still go well!
I wasnt planning to change, i only wanted to trade in like for like pricewise. So i was prepared for taking on an older car if it came to it. But this car is newer, 50k less miles and nice spec. Oh and its said to be very reliable, unlike the Leons, where i just read about problem after problem.

The Mazda is by no means a hot hatch, but i think it sounds fantastic! Happy purchase.
Oh and on long motorway drive from leeds to glasgow, i got 38MPG in the Mazda. Normally would get about 44MPG in the 2.0TDI Leon. MPG has definatly surprised me, i expected alot worse.

Yeah, did love the look of the leon, dont think there is many cars nicer than it on the road!

Unusal colour choice with the mazda, but it has grown on me, added the RX8 wheels and some black detialing, such as the diffuser:
DSC03996.jpg

DSC03989.jpg

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
I like the choice of the RX8 wheels, really improve the look. Wondering what tyres you went for, or was it a simple stock refit. You are definately right about reliability issues. These forums are inundated with niggles and problems regarding the Leon, specifically the 2.0 tdi.

Oh yes, 80k for cambelt, how silly of me. The great thing with the Leon is the torque and the power despite low revs. So i suppose this would be the downside of owning the Mazda, but I would kill to remove the owl noise. Mine is the sport stylance too, so the ride is somewhat bumpy but I happily sacrifice comfort for performance. Saying that the area where I live possibly has the worst roads for disrepair I know of. Abit less rigidity would be nice on those long journeys.

Anyway thanks for your replies, drive safely mate. Happy days :funk:

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
Just a quick update if anyone is interested. I Recently topped up the Leon using Mobil 1 5w30. Since it's had an idol run in of 10 mins and around 2 hours worth of driving, the owl noise has significantly been reduced. The noise is still apparent most noticeably between 1500 to 2000 rpm, but alot quieter now.

Ive been taking the advice of the TDI forums not to baby the motor too (gear change at 2500 rpm until engine temps rise to optimum then 3000 rpm gear changes. Seems to be having a positive affect on the noise level of the turbo. I believe it to be flushing the pipes of excess soot. Enjoying the car alot more, engine noise on the whole has been reduced due to the oil top up. Awesome :funk:

swatchways

Slightly O/T, but speaking of engine noises anyone else get the loud ticking from front left - sounds like it's coming from behind the glove compartment but I can't hear it in the engine bay itself?
It's quite sporadic, and I can't trace it to any one thing like climate control or certain revs, but at times passengers have joked my indicator is on, it's that loud, and then at other times it's non-existent for weeks on end...?

Car is (as yet!) standard 1.9tdi 55 plate.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Slightly O/T, but speaking of engine noises anyone else get the loud ticking from front left - sounds like it's coming from behind the glove compartment but I can't hear it in the engine bay itself?
It's quite sporadic, and I can't trace it to any one thing like climate control or certain revs, but at times passengers have joked my indicator is on, it's that loud, and then at other times it's non-existent for weeks on end...?

Car is (as yet!) standard 1.9tdi 55 plate.

Heater blower motor?

I have climate, sometimes at certain "speeds" it seems to click a little. Not loud though.

Worth checking its running freely though.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
That ticking noise is quite common. Used to get it even when it was ignition only. Doesnt matter what was on or off, be it the aircon or simply all the blowers, that annoying ticking stayed.

swatchways

The climate control is working fine - although a bit stinky, something I hope to rectify tomorrow when I get chance to put the cleaner through it! But it doesn't correlate to when the climate control is either on or off, as I said, it is completely sporadic, doesn't really relate to anything! But it is quite loud....
Just wondered whether anyone else had the same issue instead of asking the dealer to explore it at quite possibly significant cost....

swatchways

That ticking noise is quite common. Used to get it even when it was ignition only. Doesnt matter what was on or off, be it the aircon or simply all the blowers, that annoying ticking stayed.

Yeah it really is annoying - has yours gone then? How did you get rid of it?

swatchways

Got rid of the ticking by selling my car! Lol. I was getting fed up with all the different noises and niggles with the car!

:( Not so much a solution for me at the moment - only got the car a few months back and love it already, but the ticking is driving me absolutely mad!

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Haha, dont let it deter you from the car. I did love my Leon, but there was more than the ticking. Was needing clutch, flywheel, timing belt, big service, and possibly a turbo. All costing upwards of £1500 no doubt. Also had problems with the airbag system, throwing up lights and having to get some bits rewired. After having a problem free car for the two years previous, i got quite pissed off with the Leon.

Did love the car though, and i still dont think there are many cars that look better than them!

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Has anyone got a photo or can they detail where this valve/pipe fits.
I have a 2007 2.0 TDi PD170 with said noises, and the bulletin item 03G131055AR in my hands.
However I spent a good 10-15 minutes searching under the bonnet and could not locate it.

As it's described as an EGR Vacuum pipe I was looking in that area.

I am assuming as I could not locate it that it's well hidden down the back of the engine and may need to be accessed from underneath.

Cheers.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Well I fitted the expansion hose from this kit (P/N 03G131055AR) : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT-EGR-HOSES-03G131055AR-NEW-GENUINE-VW-PART-/370349265842

Only the expansion hose/chamber is needed on the Leon 2.0 TDI.
I presume the kit is generic and the other hoses fit elsewhere on other VAG (that's what some google images would seem to suggest)

By googling the separate P/N that is on the expansion hose (P/N 03G129808C) I managed to find an image showing it's location.
The reason I could not find where it fitted, after searching under the bonnet, is that it is a replacement for a standard hose. So in standard form you will not find a hose looking like this

Image found on google :
pict002-8418.jpg

It just inserts the expansion chamber, and therefore causing a slight difference in pressure on the internals of the BCS (Boost Control Solenoid) and therefore stops it rattling.

Despite this kit being described as an EGR Hose kit, it has nothing to do with the EGR.
It replaces/connects to the vent pipe of the boost control solenoid (mounted on the bulkhead) which vents surplus air back into the air intake. This vents air away from the turbo actuator under ECU control and therefore allowing the ECU to control boost pressure.

After fitting the noise I had from around 1,200rpm to 1,500rpm is very much reduced.
The sound it still there but only because I am really listening for it, and if I hadn't heard it before I would not notice it.
Quite a good modification for the money, as it has turned what sounded like a grumbling turbo into a near un-noticeable noise.

I presume that at 1,500rpm when boost is just starting to be generated there is a slight pressure miss-match between the induction through the airfilter and the venting of the BCS. Therefore causing the internals of the BCS to rattle. Inserting the expansion chamber corrects this miss-match.

The same modification could be made even cheaper by blanking off where this pipe would normally enter the air intake (just above the air-filter) and venting the BCS to atmosphere.

This should be perfectly fine to run as I know of other cars with a similar arrangement that vent to atmosphere if an induction kit is fitted or if the nipple attachment to the air-intake gets snapped/broken off.

My Fitting

Last edited: