Engine seems to be racing

Kuddin25

hey everyone,
i have a 08 FR and out driving it this morning i was cruising along at 60mph and it was as if the engine was looking for an extra gear, it was sitting at 3,000 revs so I increased the speed to 90mph and it was at 4,500 revs. Am I actually losing my mind or could there be a problem?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Unless your clutch is knackered, then the relationship between engine speed and engine speed will be fixed.

This means either -

- You were in the wrong gear

- Your clutch is shot

- You're losing your mind

60mph is roughly just under 2500rpm at 60mph in my petrol FR (50mph is 2000rpm dead)

Kuddin25

Yeah its a dsg I rang the dealer today and booked it in for a service aswel on Friday. It definately isnt running right, and its only got 16,000km up on it.

Kuddin25

No it was already in 6th but the engine sounded as if it was only in about 4th

n_olympios

greek member
When in D mode, does the screen have a number that indicates the selected gear? I think that's a feature in the MY09 and after cars, so if your car was built before April/May 2008 it may not have it. Also, even in D mode, if you press the gas pedal with a bit more power it upshifts, but in a sleek way, sometimes you don't even know. That basically means that it could have gone into 5th and you didn't notice.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members