Engine stop-start; best practice

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
If say the starter motor wore out, say from lots of town driving, would VAG replace it under warranty or would they simply say it's wear and tear so not covered under warranty ?

I would say it is unreasonable under any circumstances for a starter motor to wear out within 3 years. If it's due to the stop/start then as CyberGene says, it's VAGs problem. The law is on our side :D

Rog.

...is unwell
Jul 19, 2006
Location Location
Each to their own and everything, but I don't get the lack of love for the stop start. If you've got enough time to put the handbrake on and put the car in neutral then it's usually worth switching the engine off? If not, I just have my foot on the clutch to stop it working rather than bother switching it off. It doesn't activate until the car's up to temperature either, so no need to worry about that.
I've had a courtesy car without stop start for a couple of weeks and hate sitting at the lights watching the mpg readout steadily dropping...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I would say it is unreasonable under any circumstances for a starter motor to wear out within 3 years. If it's due to the stop/start then as CyberGene says, it's VAGs problem. The law is on our side :D

Don't forget the 60k miles bit...... had an air con pump on work Passat that failed at 70k, car was 26 months old. Fault was a 'known issue' according to dealer, but as vehicle was 'out of warranty' best they could offer was a 'contribution' which still left a bill of £700+ . Was not that bothered as it was a work motor and they picked up bill, but if it had been mine the service manager would still be trying to get the compressor out of his rusty sheriffs star....... ;)

Last edited:

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
Start/Stop is the work of lesbianaters. Turn it off. End of.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

page3

Dec 25, 2015
Each to their own and everything, but I don't get the lack of love for the stop start. If you've got enough time to put the handbrake on and put the car in neutral then it's usually worth switching the engine off? If not, I just have my foot on the clutch to stop it working rather than bother switching it off. It doesn't activate until the car's up to temperature either, so no need to worry about that.
I've had a courtesy car without stop start for a couple of weeks and hate sitting at the lights watching the mpg readout steadily dropping...
Doesn't work that way with DSG though. Often switches engine off before I've even come to a stop and always within 1/2 second of stopping.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Doesn't work that way with DSG though. Often switches engine off before I've even come to a stop and always within 1/2 second of stopping.

You are pressing the brake pedal too hard (or something is faulty), I have never had it stop the engine before car being stopped, and on a light brake can keep it running with the car stopped without having to turn off stop/start.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Mine does the same if I brake hard - will stop the engine just before I come to a halt. If I relax the braking slightly before I come to a complete stop, it can restart the engine as well.

driver33

Apr 9, 2016
I am just getting used to DSG and stop start but so far it has not been a problem. Avoiding heavy braking helps control the stop start.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.