engine swap

jibs666

Love my car man
Oct 25, 2009
Basingstoke
hi everyone

i have a 1.4 mk2 ibiza and i was wondering if the engine from a 16v gti would fit straight into it and how hard it would be , if you could loet me know that would be great

thanks

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
Hello! That would be me!

I'm currently doing this conversion with a mate on my car.

It is a fairly easy swap, however my mate had alot of spares around which made it easier.

Also changed the gearbox to one from a mk2 golf to keep it cable change which made it easier to

Let me know what info you need and I'll try help.

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
Just one thing... After thinking about it, just buy a gti! Lol

much easier and definately cheaper!

Only reason I didn't do this is because I've spent too much time and money on the car to start again!

jibs666

Love my car man
Oct 25, 2009
Basingstoke
Right ok , that was an option , but the same thing for me .

I have already spent quite a lot of money on my car ( i bought it from a scrappie)

So its more then just a car to me lol , How long have you guys been swapping the engine for

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
Ah fair play to you then. It's worth doing if you love the car!

So far it's taken 4 weeks but that's only working on it on Tuesdays because I'm at uni! So really 4 days so far, and I reckon one more day and it should just about be there.

You could do it on a budget but I've been swapping alot of stuff to new or uprated so the cost is going up a fair amount!

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
Well I was quite lucky as my mate was breaking a Ibiza gti, so got the engine, loom, drive shafts, clocks, gearbox, brakes, everything for £250.

And I already had the gti rear axle sitting in my garage.

I've seen quite a few for sale recently, look on eBay and also the classifieds on here, club gti, golf gti and edition38

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Just one thing... After thinking about it, just buy a gti! Lol

much easier and definately cheaper!

Only reason I didn't do this is because I've spent too much time and money on the car to start again!

Thats like me. I have spent alot of money on my car over the couple of years that Ive had it and like you it would cost too much too start over again.

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
Thats like me. I have spent alot of money on my car over the couple of years that Ive had it and like you it would cost too much too start over again.

It came down to doing an engine swap or buying a new car, but after thinking about it i know the cars completely straight with no rust, plus the amount of hrs i spent removing all the sound deadening and seam sealer inside! theres no way doing that again!

should have it back next week! cant wait, then phase 2 starts! lol

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
It came down to doing an engine swap or buying a new car, but after thinking about it i know the cars completely straight with no rust, plus the amount of hrs i spent removing all the sound deadening and seam sealer inside! theres no way doing that again!

Thats what Im like with mine. I know/have the full history of my car and know its rust free (None of the dreaded rear arch stuff!) etc so I could end up buying a gti that is in worse condition that mine.

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
exactly, might as well stick to the car you know so theres no hidden surprises! theres plently of abf engines around at the mo, and it can be done cheaply if you dont get carried away!

jibs666

Love my car man
Oct 25, 2009
Basingstoke
exactly, might as well stick to the car you know so theres no hidden surprises! theres plently of abf engines around at the mo, and it can be done cheaply if you dont get carried away!

do you just swap the engine or are there other bits and bobs that need doing

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
as far as i know its just engine, gearbox, wiring loom, fusebox, clocks, mfa stalk, brakes

i can check with my mate about engine mounts and drive shafts, cant remember if they were the same or not! he has alot of spares around from mk2 golfs so not sure if we used those

jibs666

Love my car man
Oct 25, 2009
Basingstoke
as far as i know its just engine, gearbox, wiring loom, fusebox, clocks, mfa stalk, brakes

i can check with my mate about engine mounts and drive shafts, cant remember if they were the same or not! he has alot of spares around from mk2 golfs so not sure if we used those

if you could that would be great , im really looking deep into this now . i think its the next thing to be done to my car

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts

so whats phase 2 then??? where abouts in notts are you? im from mansfield and go to notts regular. might be worth a visit to make myself known to you and to see your motor. sounds like you got afew folk thinking, including me, about engine mods and the like! im the same about my car aswell! had it 10 years now and know it inside out. no rust and part of the family. lol

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
I'm from beeston mate, yeah you'll have to come see it when it's done!

Phase 2 - will be fitting the parts I've got in the garage ready- viper induction kit, oil catch tank, anti roll bars, megaleads, spal slim line fan

tidy up the engine bay, hide the powersteering tank, fit my fiat radiator which has a built in coolant tank, tidy and hide the wiring, then start smoothing the bay a little.

then after Christmas it's being resprayed gloss black inside and the original silver outside with a few things smoothed.

Then... Supercharger hopefully!

dimond

hey ive swaped my engine for the gti 8v just wonering if anyone knows any good ways of tuning the engine without having to get it remaped, just to let yuo know im from notts aswell

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members