ESP and TPMS lights permanently on - Leon FR PD170 2008

Sep 16, 2020
Hello all,

First post here!

2 weeks into owning my Leon FR, the ESP and TPMS light have come on and wont go away. I managed to get it scanned by a friend with VCDS and its reading the following codes:

01279 - Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)
005 - No or incorrect basic setting

01279 - Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

After much searching, i assume its a sensor gone bad, but cant seem to locate much information regarding the sensor location on the Leon Mk2 (loads of threads for audi). I removed the glove box to inspect any sensors but couldnt find any.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated! Currently going in circles

Thanks

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Just had a Google and I'd try behind the glove box or the lower dash under the steering wheel. It looks to be about an inch cubed in size, and possibly with a gold anodised steel band around it ?.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Do you have the full VCDS scan you could post? The ABS units changed during 2008.

Early ones have a separate sensor module under the passenger seat. Later ones have the sensor unit built into the ABS unit.

Sep 16, 2020
Just had a Google and I'd try behind the glove box or the lower dash under the steering wheel. It looks to be about an inch cubed in size, and possibly with a gold anodised steel band around it ?.
Thanks for the reply, i believe thats the case for older models as i stripped out the globebox and checked under the steering wheel with nothing visible unfortunately

Sep 16, 2020
Do you have the full VCDS scan you could post? The ABS units changed during 2008.

Early ones have a separate sensor module under the passenger seat. Later ones have the sensor unit built into the ABS unit.
Thanks for the reply, i will try to attach the full report. The car is a 58 plate, i have also read elsewhere that the G251 sensor could be located under the drivers or passenger seat. Fingers crossed that its not the full abs unit!

Sep 16, 2020
I have also been informed that the car has an outstanding recall '
Recall number R/2017/216 (R/2017/216 - ABS/ESC SYSTEM MAY FAIL)

Could this be related?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
As far as I remember that recall is for something different. There's a fault that can occur on some ABS units but the software on the unit cannot detect it. The recall is to apply a software update that can detect the fault and then to replace the unit if the new fault is then showing.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.