EU Speed limiter introduction

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
So in July by law cars will be fitted with the new speed limiter , I wonder when cupra are going to fit it ,and also wonder if it will relate to order date or will all cars coming out of the factory have it ,
It's a waiting game now be interested to hear your thoughts

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
New models only from this year. Not required on existing models until 2024.

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
And we aren't in the e.u anymore so actually having the devices turned on,even if fitted,won't necessarily apply here or other non e.u markets.

Reactions: Big A

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
And we aren't in the e.u anymore so actually having the devices turned on,even if fitted,won't necessarily apply here or other non e.u markets.
Apparently we will folow the eu rules on this or it seems that way

andycupra

status subject to change
my understanding is that it will need to be fitted, but not mandated to use it. So it will something you turn off as part of your routine. - they need to engineer a button that will be well used. (unlike the buttons in some mercs to turn off stop start technology).

Mortey

Jun 2, 2021
Doesn't it already have one? I don't have mine yet (soon I believe!) but I am sure I read you can set it to follow the speed limit already?

To be honest I thought it sounded quite sensible in such a quick car around town. As long as it can be switched off when you want.

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
is this not part of the addon safety pack to be honest i am not 100% sure as the explanation on the web cobnfigurator doesn't give a lot of information away
the safety pack xl states" In the event of the car detecting a possible accident, the car will apply hazard lights, seatbelt tensioners and close windows"
and that costs £600 extra there must be more to it

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
We got a taste of it in Formentor with ACC already. Car slowing down for other cars on the side or slowing down if someone set adjustment of speed to the road signs. That's why I'm not getting any brand new car after certain year of production. I don't want speed limited to 112mph ( I do travel to Germany) or car deciding for me how to drive.

Reactions: Big A

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
ACC is a different system and currently seems to have a few faults as discussed on this forum , the new system is a warning system only and Doesn't control the car , but as it won't affect this model , shouldn't be an issue

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I thouth, that new systems are supposed to work on the same basis. It will slow down car and it has to be overriden, exactly the same like ACC now.

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
There's a great video on YouTube
Rory from telly car shows explains it all very nicely (y)

We got a taste of it in Formentor with ACC already. Car slowing down for other cars on the side or slowing down if someone set adjustment of speed to the road signs. That's why I'm not getting any brand new car after certain year of production. I don't want speed limited to 112mph ( I do travel to Germany) or car deciding for me how to drive.
That's just predictive Adaptive Cruise control, easy enough to turn off the predictive bit and it doesn't get reenabled with ignition cycles. Regular ACC doesn't change the speed limit for you

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
That's just predictive Adaptive Cruise control, easy enough to turn off the predictive bit and it doesn't get reenabled with ignition cycles. Regular ACC doesn't change the speed limit for you
I was just saying it's giving you the taste of what speed limiter might be. When car decides for you and slows down.

Will have to add it to the morning routine

Start Stop - OFF
Lane Departure - OFF
Speed Limiter - OFF
Traction Control - OFF
Eco Advice - OFF

Just let me drive my bloody car for gods sakes
I called it pre-flight checks, but in my case it was start/stop, front assist and emergency assist. Lane assit was switched off with OBD. Glad I don't have to deal with it any more.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Will have to add it to the morning routine

Start Stop - OFF
Lane Departure - OFF
Speed Limiter - OFF
Traction Control - OFF
Eco Advice - OFF

Just let me drive my bloody car for gods sakes
You forgot "switch gearbox to sport" 🏎️

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I can see the fun and games now.
Camera reads 50mph - decides it is 50kph and the limiter slows the car down to 30mph

They need to sort out the basics in the car firmware/software before they allow it to control the car.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I have had a failure of the system on another car I drove. It already had auto speed limiting fitted, and it was on. It detected some random residential homes fake 5mph sign in at the entrance, and the car suddenly cut power. I didn't know what it was at first.

At other times i've had cars pick up a 20mph limit with their cameras on a road parallel to the road I was on that was 30mph. None of this is terribly helpful, I can see false detections like this causing accidents while the driver is trying to work out what the hell happened.