pre GPF vs post GPF Cupra definitive catalogue

8@nO$

Thanos
Aug 26, 2006
London, UK
Hi all,

I have been researching leon cupras pre vs post GPF in the used EU market. I will use the car as a base for tuning, I have already read some of the differences but I would like your help to find possible combinations in the production and delivery of cars when the change happened. I would like this to serve as a list for other forum members to find this information in one place as other potential buyers might find useful. We are ONLY talking 5F Leon Cupra and as far as I am concerned it does not make a difference whether it is the hatch or ST/4drive versions. So I will start by posting what I know then the points/questions that forum members might be able to help with. I am talking about the EU LHD market, the UK RHD market might have different dates/versions so please specify your model/market in your replies. Here we go.

Some context:
The change GPF/OPF came as manufacturers responded to changes the EU has enforced regarding emissions as a result of applying the newer WLTP drive cycle (more severe so increases emissions). The manufacturers stopped production in several instances before returning with often hasty solutions applied to their designs. In the case of our beloved cupra, the change happened in 2018 and it is well documented in these forums - maybe we can merge all the relevant forums. So the changes I am aware of (and some comments) are:

Pre GPF

mechanical:
-EA 888 Gen 3 engine
-6 speed DSG DQ250 wet clutch gearbox. Older unit, proven and tested and can cope with very high torque limits tuners have pushed it to 700Nm+ with uprated clutch
-MPI + DI fuel injection (4 injectors inside the cylinders + 4 injectors outside the cylinders)

other:
-Silver SEAT badges (?)
-Seat Sound System (related?)
-Analogue instrument cluster only? OR first gen digital cluster?
-Registration up to mid 2018
-VIN numbers????

Post GPF

mechanical:
-EA 888 Gen 3 engine
-7 speed DSG DQ381 wet clutch gearbox (or DQ380?). Newer unit, slightly higher torque limits 800Nmish with tuning and uprated clutches, includes a 7th overdrive
-DI fuel injection only (can OEM MPI be retrofitted from pre GPF cars?? or massive changes needed?)
-Uprated pistons? (One forum member posted this - tuners/technically inclined members please provide numbers/sources if this is the case this is important for tuning!)

other:
-Copper SEAT badges (?)
-Beats Sound System (?)
-Digital instrument cluster only (2nd gen?)
-Registration late 2018 onwards
-VIN numbers????

I have seen some cars sold registered in 2017 claiming they have a DSG7? Is this possible? Where there any cars with DSG7 produced with MPI/no GPF? Or was DSG7 a change SEAT made to help with emissions by introducing more gears + overdrive? Any member with such a strange combination?

Any other hard to spot changes in engines/mechanical/comfort equipment or anything we can use to tell the difference?

Let's hear from the owners!

Many thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Some updated info for you:

Pre GPF

other:
- Chrome SEAT 'S' badges (Other badges available in Chrome, Black or Orange depending on options)
- Seat Sound System factory option
- Analogue instrument cluster, from MY2018 (So Sept 2017 I think) First gen digital cluster (no central rev counter or Sport display).

Post GPF

other:
- Copper SEAT badges (However early build dates in Sept 2018 still had Chrome). There was a build thread that I'm struggling to find right now that woudl have the date when it changed. As one week cards were coming in chrome then the copper started.
- Beats Sound System (If a previously spec'd build with Seat Sound and an option in Europe or on Special Editions)
- Digital instrument cluster only - Second gen (Part number with A and B) with additional display options including central rev counter and sport display
- Registration late 2018 onwards

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Here you go...

This is around the time (October 2018) people were still getting Chrome based Cupra's but their cars were GPF. If you search back you'll likely find the build date info and if you go forward you'll be able to find when people actually got their cars.

8@nO$

Thanos
Aug 26, 2006
London, UK
Hi Damo,

Thanks for your reply and the link will look into that. That was an awesome 4drive build you had. So from what I can tell digital cluster does not necessarily mean GPF if it is 1st gen, but beats audio means GPF for sure.

Guys any idea on the mechanical stuff? We need your inputs :) !

All the best

Mar 27, 2023
I have a 07/18 ST 300 with chrome badges, Beats audio, digital cluster (no central rev counter), no OPF/GPF

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Hi Damo,

Thanks for your reply and the link will look into that. That was an awesome 4drive build you had. So from what I can tell digital cluster does not necessarily mean GPF if it is 1st gen, but beats audio means GPF for sure.

Guys any idea on the mechanical stuff? We need your inputs :) !

All the best
I recall Beats audio was available on the R hatch, a pre-GPF vehicle.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
pre GPF engine codes:

1.8 TFSICJSA1798 CC132 kW2013 - 2018
1.8 TSICJSB1798 CC132 kW2016 - 2018
2.0 TFSICJXH1984 CC213 kW2016 - 2017
2.0 TFSICJXC1984 CC221 kW2017 - 2018
2.0 TFSICJXG1984 CC221 kW2018 - 2018
2.0 TFSICJXA1984 CC206 kW2014 - 2016
2.0 TFSICJXE1984 CC194 kW2014 - 2016

post GPF engine codes:

2.0 TFSIDKZA1984 CC140 kW2018 - 2019
2.0 TSIDNUC1984 CC213 kW2019 - 2020
2.0 TSIDNUE1984 CC221 kW2019 - 2020

Reactions: Giuseppe Busso
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.