Is Tyre Rotation front to back a good idea?

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts, theory's and ideas in advance.

Putting 'Foxi' our Formentor 310 VZ3 (awd as required) in for a minor service on Thursday... 17k miles

I have (unfortunately) Bridgestone T005 tyres fitted all round rears (fitted from new) have done 17k miles fronts barely 3k miles in the last year ( - I work from home).

Is it a good idea to swap tyres from the front to back to give the 4wd an easier time?

OR 🤔

leave em and wait till I wear out the fronts in 3 to 4 years by which time the rears will be ready for replacement due to age.

Ideally in the longer run looking to replace them with sommet a bit sticker once the tarmac warms up. But just can't justify chopping the Bridgestones in with so much rubber left on them.
Baring unrepairable puncture (tempts fate) or traction control off button issues that is.🙊

Oh and is there anything I should ask them to check whilst the car is in?

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I always swap my wheels (no need doing just the tyres) front to back and back to front, but even better would be to swap diagonally then it swaps the rotation , but with a lot of tyres they have a rotational pattern so you cannot.
Saying all that as tyres a very expensive nowadays, I thing a lot of people tent to ware a pair of tyres and replace them, and when the second pair wares out then replace them, so you are not paying for four.
I used always cross the years ago and then change the full set but now I just buy a new car (lol)

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
My understanding is that if the vehicle is a Haldex 4wd it is better to swap the wheels front to back to even out wear and thus reduce the work the Haldex has to do and ptrolong its life..

IIRC Hadex say no more than a 2mm difference in tread wear across an axle and 3mm front to rear for this reason.

New tyres are cheaper than a new Haldex's.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
IIRC Hadex say no more than a 2mm difference in tread wear across an axle and 3mm front to rear for this reason.

I challenge you to post one authoritative source for that. Just sounds like internet nonsense to me.

I am deeply sceptical that the manufacturer gives a recommendation that would effectively mean if the tyres were more than one third worn then all 4 tyres must be replaced if you got an unrepairable puncture or defect on a single one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
I, like cuthound recall that there are some caveats, recommendations, good practice notes for most 4x4 and notably Haldex systems when it comes to rolling radius differences etc

My dislike / disrespect of the present rubber is one thing but mechanical sympathy is another. I've been known to do oil & filter changes with sub 1000 miles - (it won't hurt).

If I have to change all 4 tyres (to sommet stickier) to so be it.

Save the Haldex! 😁

And

Party On Dudes! 😎👍

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I was at a track day last year and one of the guys did say that one of his customers turned up in a very exotic Audi (cant recall the model) and he had one tyre that had some damage, went to the Audi garage to get a new tyre and they told him he could not replace one tyre he had to replace all 4 as they system is set up so that all tyres have the same wear.

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
I challenge you to post one authoritative source for that. Just sounds like internet nonsense to me.

I am deeply sceptical that the manufacturer gives a recommendation that would effectively mean if the tyres were more than one third worn then all 4 tyres must be replaced if you got an unrepairable puncture or defect on a single one.

I was given this advice by VW Midland when I first took my Skoda Yeti 4x4 there.

The Haldex clutches are designed to operate for short periods only, for example when the front whee;s begin to spin before the clutched close, or when cornering. With significant differences in tyre diameter they will be operating all the time.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I have (unfortunately) Bridgestone T005 tyres fitted all round

T005 are excellent tyres compared to others as test results show, but once you've run Potenza Sports what a difference.

As Rusty pointed out, surly these days Hadlex can cope with with a difference in tread depth, but who's going to take that risk so yes if mine think I go front to back

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024

I picked up my Cupra ST300 4drive yesterday and this is what the handbook.has to say about tyre rotation.

Is that definitive enough for you?

Attachments

• PXL_20240131_085413672.jpg
    PXL_20240131_085413672.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20240131_085439153.jpg
    PXL_20240131_085439153.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 60

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had a customer come into the garage querying the info given to him by a tyre seller regarding one new tyre on the car, I checked with BMW - his car marque- who gave me details of the permissible tread variances across axles front to rear, his as it turns out was within these figures and as a favour I was able to supply/fit one tyre at a favourable price, happy customer, he was an ex BTCC driver who lived locally and a nice guy.
Spin short, there are tolerances that need adhered to too to protect drivetrain mechanisms.

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
I had a customer come into the garage querying the info given to him by a tyre seller regarding one new tyre on the car, I checked with BMW - his car marque- who gave me details of the permissible tread variances across axles front to rear, his as it turns out was within these figures and as a favour I was able to supply/fit one tyre at a favourable price, happy customer, he was an ex BTCC driver who lived locally and a nice guy.
Spin short, there are tolerances that need adhered to too to protect drivetrain mechanisms.
Save the Haldex!

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
I swapped the front with the rear tyres at 20 k km, (same sides) , now I'm at 40 k km, without any issue whatsoever. Fronts now are a bit more worn than the rears but still enough thread. Not to mention that I'm still on the factory Turanzas and they still perform great.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise