Exhaust emission sensor....

FRNikki

Hi guys

im after a lil help..

I have an 06 FRTDi and the Exhaust gas emissions sensor has gone on it 3 times in 4 weeks.

Has anyone else had this problem? and if so was it the sensor or did it lead to something else??

I had Seat breakdown out to it last night as my EML came on while i was on my way to chippenham. He said he thinks theres an underlying problem with the exhaust if the sensor is throwing up warning lights every so many weeks.

My car is due to go into Seat hopefully today (if i can get it booked in) as the car is running on safe mode at the moment and i have no power what so ever. it would be nice to have some feed back from you guys so i can go back to Seat and say well actually it could be this rather than them replacing the sensor every 5 mins.

Thanks in advance

FRNikki xx

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
Hi Nikki

Others will be along to comment in more detail no doubt, but if you do a search there are some threads about this.

I think it is all in some linked to the DPF as we have talked about before.

From what I have read you will just have to either:

1. Put up with it and get the repairs done under warranty (if still available)
2. Have alook at getting the DPF-off exhaust and remap offered by AMD or Custom-Code.

I have had this happen once and the car does go into 'passive regen' mode every so often. It is annoying and I am thinking about option quite seriously. Still £800 when the car is in warranty to fix a problem caused solely by eco-mentalists is a little hard to swallow!

Hope it gets sorted

Si

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Mine went on me about 2 months ago.Been ok ever since the garage fitted a new one.Thats about all I can tell you about it.
I reckon there must be another problem with yours as mines been fine since.Maybe the dpf gone into regen.Took garage a while to get it clear on mine.

FRNikki

Hi Nikki

Others will be along to comment in more detail no doubt, but if you do a search there are some threads about this.

I think it is all in some linked to the DPF as we have talked about before.

From what I have read you will just have to either:

1. Put up with it and get the repairs done under warranty (if still available)
2. Have alook at getting the DPF-off exhaust and remap offered by AMD or Custom-Code.

I have had this happen once and the car does go into 'passive regen' mode every so often. It is annoying and I am thinking about option quite seriously. Still £800 when the car is in warranty to fix a problem caused solely by eco-mentalists is a little hard to swallow!

Hope it gets sorted

Si

Hi Si

Thankfully my car is under warranty and it is going into Seat today, im dropping it down at lunch time. I have told them that i think its an underlying problem within the exhaust itself as this is the 3rd sensor to go wrong in a month so its not the sensor thats the problem or so it seems.

Do you think its worth mentioning to Seat about the DPF or should i just see what they come back with and look at the DPF with AMD instead??

Id rather spend £800 on my car knowing im not going to get this problem again than have it go into the dealer every 2 weeks!

Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
Hi Si

Thankfully my car is under warranty and it is going into Seat today, im dropping it down at lunch time. I have told them that i think its an underlying problem within the exhaust itself as this is the 3rd sensor to go wrong in a month so its not the sensor thats the problem or so it seems.

Do you think its worth mentioning to Seat about the DPF or should i just see what they come back with and look at the DPF with AMD instead??

Id rather spend £800 on my car knowing im not going to get this problem again than have it go into the dealer every 2 weeks!

Nikki

Very True!

They are not likely to admit the DPF is to blame (at least not officially anyway), I would let them 'fix' it as they see fit and make a decision after that. Make a bit of a fuss (number of times into garage etc) and see what they do.

If it happens again then perhaps give one of the co's offering the mod a call and discuss it with them?

Good luck (as you know my opinion of that particular garage anyway...)

Si

Taipan

Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Hi Si

Nikki

Ive had the DPF delete and still my light is on constantly. Sensor has gone apparently but obviously cant get it done under warranty !!!

FRNikki

Very True!

They are not likely to admit the DPF is to blame (at least not officially anyway), I would let them 'fix' it as they see fit and make a decision after that. Make a bit of a fuss (number of times into garage etc) and see what they do.

If it happens again then perhaps give one of the co's offering the mod a call and discuss it with them?

Good luck (as you know my opinion of that particular garage anyway...)

Si

Hi Si

My opinion is starting to become the same of this particular garage and i think they will want to make sure my car is 100% problem free by the time im done with them as ive had the car just over a month and its been in 3 times for the same problem, not f:censored:in good enough as far as im concerned!

In the 2 years i had my polo i had no issues with the car or the dealer, Seat have gone down in my estimations big time and im gonna let em know it!!!

FRNikki

Ive had the DPF delete and still my light is on constantly. Sensor has gone apparently but obviously cant get it done under warranty !!!

so do you u just leave it on and ignore it or are you having to have the work done privately due to warranty being invalidated??

dave_ph

:)
Jul 12, 2006
Somerset
www.vagowners.co.uk
does your car feel like its running right? do you give the car a good blast that often? also what kind of economy are you getting. Might be worth comparing your mpg figures with other FR owners on here. Maybe the car is over fueling and as a result, and sooting up the sensor much quicker that the regen can cope with?

I'm a newb when it comes to this kinda issue, but hopefully that could give you a starting place to look?

FRNikki

does your car feel like its running right? do you give the car a good blast that often? also what kind of economy are you getting. Might be worth comparing your mpg figures with other FR owners on here. Maybe the car is over fueling and as a result, and sooting up the sensor much quicker that the regen can cope with?

I'm a newb when it comes to this kinda issue, but hopefully that could give you a starting place to look?

prior to the EML coming on it was running fine, it gets taken up and down the motorway at least twice a week and i average about 300 miles a week to which i only use 3/4's of a tank so all in all i would say its running just fine but im sure someone may put me right on that???

i do try to drive it sensibly for fuel economy reasons but it does get a good blast now and then and ive not had problems with performance other than when the EML comes on.

dave_ph

Jul 12, 2006
Somerset
www.vagowners.co.uk
whats your average mpg? 300miles on 3/4 of a tank sounds a little under what it should be (although i dunno what the 2.0tdi is capable of) but my lcr managed to get 370miles on a tank with motorway driving, and my a4 (1.9tdi so probs different, but heavier car) was averaging 450-500miles a tank without much motorway driving.

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
whats your average mpg? 300miles on 3/4 of a tank sounds a little under what it should be (although i dunno what the 2.0tdi is capable of) but my lcr managed to get 370miles on a tank with motorway driving, and my a4 (1.9tdi so probs different, but heavier car) was averaging 450-500miles a tank without much motorway driving.

I have the same car as Nikki and tend to get 43mpg, which is about 450 a tank, maybe a bit more.

This is from a mix of driving but mostly A road at good speeds.

FRNikki

I have the same car as Nikki and tend to get 43mpg, which is about 450 a tank, maybe a bit more.

This is from a mix of driving but mostly A road at good speeds.

to be fair when i fill it up ive done around 300 miles and the miles to the tank bit tells me i have another 150 to go so i can only go on that really, i too drive on A roads duel carriageways and the motorway over the course of the week either sitting in traffic (which it doesnt seem to like) or chipping along around 60-70. it can take me sometimes an hour and a half to do 8 miles due to the traffic i have to sit in each morning which probably doesnt help my fuel efficiency.

i will just wait to hear what Seat say and take it from there, theres obviously some kind of problem otherwise this wouldnt be happening and ive told Seat i dont want it back until theyve fixed it!

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
to be fair when i fill it up ive done around 300 miles and the miles to the tank bit tells me i have another 150 to go so i can only go on that really, i too drive on A roads duel carriageways and the motorway over the course of the week either sitting in traffic (which it doesnt seem to like) or chipping along around 60-70. it can take me sometimes an hour and a half to do 8 miles due to the traffic i have to sit in each morning which probably doesnt help my fuel efficiency.

i will just wait to hear what Seat say and take it from there, theres obviously some kind of problem otherwise this wouldnt be happening and ive told Seat i dont want it back until theyve fixed it!

MPG sounds similar then.

Just to be clear, what do you mean 'doesn't seem to like'?

FRNikki

MPG sounds similar then.

Just to be clear, what do you mean 'doesn't seem to like'?

the whole stop starting lark when sat in traffic, doesnt do much for my fuel efficiency as im sure it doesnt for most cars sat in traffic lol or maybe thats just me who doesnt like sittin in traffic lol

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
the whole stop starting lark when sat in traffic, doesnt do much for my fuel efficiency as im sure it doesnt for most cars sat in traffic lol or maybe thats just me who doesnt like sittin in traffic lol

oh ok. no I think it is a universal hate!

dave_ph

Jul 12, 2006
Somerset
www.vagowners.co.uk
might be worth getting someone in the local area on the forums to plug vagcom in and see what the error code is. That way its much harder for the dealer to fob you off, as you can argue the toss if they come back and say it was something unrelated

FRNikki

might be worth getting someone in the local area on the forums to plug vagcom in and see what the error code is. That way its much harder for the dealer to fob you off, as you can argue the toss if they come back and say it was something unrelated

fortunately for me my mate is an Audi Technician so i can get him to have a look at it for a second opinion and then go back to Seat if he thinks its anything different.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.