Exhaust flap noise - edit: not an issue just echoing!

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
Hi all

I've currently got it into the dealers for this issue (see video below)

sounds like some sort of exhaust flap rattle to me

The dealers keep road testing it to try and replicate even though it clearly happens when stationary.

Any ideas what it might be so I can point them in then direction? Anyone else have this issue and find out what was causing then noise?
[EDITED: Removed video due to number plate being in it lol! - and the clinky clunky sound not an issue anyway! If you're a good standing member and want to see it to check if it's the same noise as yours PM me and I'll send you a link to the video on Imgur]

Last edited:

gregh

Jul 18, 2021
Hi all

I've currently got it into the dealers for this issue (see video below)

sounds like some sort of exhaust flap rattle to me

The dealers (Crewe Cupra) keep road testing it to try and replicate even though it clearly happens when stationary.

Any ideas what it might be so I can point them in then direction? Anyone else have this issue and find out what was causing then noise?

(metallic clunks x2 at 00:14-00:16)

Its the exhaust flaps opening and closing as part of the start up sequence. Everyone of the 310s does it.

My Golf R did the same, albeit no nowhere near as loud

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Yeah, same thing happens on my car. I think it's normal.

I'm guessing it may be some kind of diagnostic or cautionary open/close mechanism as it seems to happen on all driving modes, regardless if they should have flaps open or closed.

Btw if you don't know, if you shut down the car in Cupra mode (which has flaps open), on startup the car will show Cupra mode but the flaps will be closed until you change a driving mode.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I have not heard mine ever do this. Maybe just louder because of the proximity of the wall ?

Or maybe it's caused by that illegally spaced number plate :LOL:
I usually hear it when starting the car, but it's not this loud (this is probably due to echo).

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
I have not heard mine ever do this. Maybe just louder because of the proximity of the wall ?

Or maybe it's caused by that illegally spaced number plate :LOL:
Reported on the grounds of nastiness :p. (just kidding)

Actually I never thought about my plate, normally keep that off the internet! Have updated the post to say it's a non-issue anyway!

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
I usually hear it when starting the car, but it's not this loud (this is probably due to echo).
OK so there's a parallel side of the house next door same size as mine just off the camera, and also a twin garage door behind me

Thinking back to my A level in physics I think you might be spot on there - In which case this explains the dealers unable to reproduce!

I feel like a bit of a prat now :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
OK so there's a parallel side of the house next door same size as mine, maybe it is due to the echo! In which case this explains the dealers unable to reproduce!

I feel like a bit of a prat now :ROFLMAO:
The sound is definitely audible on my car as well. This video seems to make it a bit louder than it is on my car, but that is probably due to the location/echo or closeness to the exhaust. I'd wager they didn't realize what is the issue, if they started up any other VZ 310 they'd hear a similar sound.

No need to feel that way, if you don't remember there is a exhaust flap and that it resets on startup, how would you know what this is. Dealer should have been quick to figure it out though.

Reactions: butterycrumpet
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.