Exhaust woes

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Basically my magnex back box is annoying me now. The box is so big that im constantly having to get it realigned to stop it knocking but within a few months its back to knocking as the rubber bushes keep breaking.

So im thinking of changing to something abit smaller and less loud. What are the mk3 back boxes like? I know afew people on here have had them fitted and i assume they are going to be smaller than the magnex?? :confused:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
I have a Mk3 backbox on my mk2 and I had one on my previous Mk2.
I personally find them much better than most of the alternatives
:D

I have to agree with that aswell. Im onto my 2nd mk3 backbox on my 1.4 and I really like it. Not to loud or anything. Just gives a nice burble.

And I really like the twin tailpipe sticking out from under the bumper. :p :D

sionowz

Jan 28, 2007
cardiff
do the mark 3 tailpipe only come in twin pipe? my custom has also started to grate on me, going to have to either go back and change the backbox (wile getting a decat :) ) or change for something quieter!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
i'm exactly the same krishen! i'm beginning to hate it!
so the mk3 cupra exhaust is straight swap? what about rubber mounts? do they use the same ones?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
mk3 box on mine - albeit with the pipes extended cos of the nappy sack crap on the back

same bores as 2.0 16v (55.5mm)

the hangers vary on some mk2/mk3 from L/R to F/R but the 2 bolt floor mounting is the same so 2 new mounts and job sorted, i have the bosal part numbers here i should post in FAQ's really

sounds fine a subtle polite burble so no crack/pop spitting ROAR if that's what you are after, in fact a perfect tone really and a drilled airbox will take over on full chat

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Taa flapper! the main worry was the rubber mounts :) so just get 2 mounts off a mk3 also and i'm sorted!
thanks!

i do like when your close to the redline on my magnex it does roar, but i can live without the overall sounds (as it has 2 sounds "loud" and "ROAR" lol)

so a quiet burble would be excellent! so time to save now!

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
mk3 box on mine - albeit with the pipes extended cos of the nappy sack crap on the back

same bores as 2.0 16v (55.5mm)

the hangers vary on some mk2/mk3 from L/R to F/R but the 2 bolt floor mounting is the same so 2 new mounts and job sorted, i have the bosal part numbers here i should post in FAQ's really

Taa flapper! the main worry was the rubber mounts :) so just get 2 mounts off a mk3 also and i'm sorted!
thanks!
!

I assume the rubber mounts that you guys are refering to are the things that hold the exhaust on the brackets/hangers?

Flapper have you poseted the part numbers into the FAQ's?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I haven't had a mk2 with any kind of exhaust on it yet that hasn't smacked the floor

adjust the joints if it's smacking the bulkhead (under ya feet ) then the middle box isn't lined up properly, can be done but there's a fine window to it, i use the middle box rubber as a guide, if that's straight up then it's not far off

I assume the rubber mounts that you guys are refering to are the things that hold the exhaust on the brackets/hangers?

Flapper have you posted the part numbers into the FAQ's?

gimme 5 will be sorted

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
rubber mounts

Mk3 exhausts comes with hangers that are side to side and not all mk2's have this style as some hangers point front to rear (50/50 mix)

The floorplan being a facelift really has the same floor mounts for both models so it's easily fixed with a couple of mk3 mounts

Genuine are as always expensive and hard to get old of but there are aftermarket alternatives available from Bosal (they make the original Seat kit anyway) but check/ask your local motor factors/exhaust center etc who the local bosal supplier is or even ask any local supplier to cross reference the info to help

Standard fitting for a 20vt box to a 16v (same bore size 55.5mm, other engines will need adapters) use a couple of 255-046 and the twin rear pipes will sit just touching a standard bumper and some cut round them others don't bother, purely asthetic in reality plus i can't cut straight to save my life :)

When you get it all fitted and stand back to admire your work don't be too surprised to think it's on the piss, it's not you it is, even standard they always have been with twin pipes even the early Leon's (look at a standard one next time you see one ;) )

The second rubber (255-146) fits the same and is shorter and can be handy with aftermarket fitting of some custom exhausts so if you get it hanging too low this is an option that will help.

and as said many time elsewhere if the rear exhaust hits the susp beam or the front pipe hits the floor then it's not aligned properly, the easiest way i find is to setup loose with the hanger for the middle box vertical and then go from there - can be a right pain too at times so must be those german tolerances huh :whistle:

001.jpg

002.jpg

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
thanks alot flapper, so much help like usual mate!

i was looking on the bosal site, just found the 255-046 mount , (do i buy from that site? or just from a normal motor factors?) so i need one 255-046, and one 255-146 right?

where did you get them hanger things from also?

thanks again!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.