Extended warranties from SEAT.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Is the SEAT warranty extension scheme worth the money? Just been quoted online £173 for 1 yeats full cover. I wouldn't have considered it, but both my most recent SEATs ate turbos at around 2 years old, and as I'm not in a position to get rid of the current car, I'm worried it could happen to this one again.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Is the SEAT warranty extension scheme worth the money? Just been quoted online £173 for 1 yeats full cover. I wouldn't have considered it, but both my most recent SEATs ate turbos at around 2 years old, and as I'm not in a position to get rid of the current car, I'm worried it could happen to this one again.
Is it unlimited claims and no excess? Or is there a limit to the number of repairs or an excess to pay?
It's essentially an insurance policy - if you pay the premium and make no claims, you paid £173 for cover but no measurable benefits.
If something major goes wrong, and it costs say £1000 for parts and labour, you'll be glad you paid for it. Depends on your attitude to risk.
How much is a new turbo?

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I would be very interested to know what those two cars were? ie, what engines? My 2016 Ibiza 3 cylinder 95hp CHZB turbo petrol had it's turbo replaced at around two years old (under warranty thank goodness as I was told I would have paid around £1500 or more, to get it done otherwise). I'm especially interested because I've looked into it at great length and found out the problem is due to not the turbo itself but the wastegate pushrod which seizes to the wastegate lever necessitating replacement of the entire turbo. Replacement turbos and the ones now being factory fitted have a modified linkage which seems to have sorted the problem (my car is a bit over four and a half years old now and the linkage, which you can "fiddle" with by putting your hand down the back of the engine - WHEN IT'S COLD - is still nice and free moving)

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I would be very interested to know what those two cars were? ie, what engines? My 2016 Ibiza 3 cylinder 95hp CHZB turbo petrol had it's turbo replaced at around two years old (under warranty thank goodness as I was told I would have paid around £1500 or more, to get it done otherwise). I'm especially interested because I've looked into it at great length and found out the problem is due to not the turbo itself but the wastegate pushrod which seizes to the wastegate lever necessitating replacement of the entire turbo. Replacement turbos and the ones now being factory fitted have a modified linkage which seems to have sorted the problem (my car is a bit over four and a half years old now and the linkage, which you can "fiddle" with by putting your hand down the back of the engine - WHEN IT'S COLD - is still nice and free moving)
2014 CBZC 1.2 - Turbo replaced in 2017
2017 CHZC 1.0 - Turbo replaced in 2020

Reactions: Crossthreaded

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Both happened after being parked up, one for 4 months, one for 2 - but unfortunately my job didn't allow me to nip home to the UK every week to run my car ?

Reactions: Crossthreaded

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Both happened after being parked up, one for 4 months, one for 2 - but unfortunately my job didn't allow me to nip home to the UK every week to run my car ?
Sounds like the extended warranty might be worth it in that case, then. It will be based on mileage, so unless you exceed the agreed mileage, you should be fine...

Reactions: camelspyyder

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Thanks very much indeed for updating me on that. So both cars had been sitting unused for a while and both cars had seized actuators. This is pretty much exactly the scenario mine succumbed to. We had been away in the States for nearly a month - my daughter and her family were living there at that time - The first time I used the car on our return I only got about a mile down the road before the dash lights illuminated and she went into "limp". The Seat assist technician who attended me asked about what the car's usage had been immediately prior to this happening and very quickly diagnosed the problem. He followed me to the garage and then gave me a lift home. I told him I was a retired mechanic and we got on well together, chatting away like long lost friends! I complemented him on his very rapid diagnosis and he told me it really wasn't difficult after I'd told him the car hadn't been driven for some weeks. Apparently this problem with the actuator rod seizing is not unusual and he'd attended a few. He also told me that nearly always the entire turbo needs to be replaced as the rod seizes solid to the wastegate pivot. The actuator rod ends on my new turbo are quite different to the old ones so hopefully this particular problem won't repeat.

Reactions: camelspyyder

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
My car is 3 years old next month and I’ve just been quoted £173 By SEAT to extend my warranty for 12 months, which I think is a good deal. I got the email through to quote online. That’s all components, no excess and <10k miles. Its an extra £5 for between 10k and 15k miles. Normally do about 12k per year but not at the moment with Covid. Original plan was to change my car but with job uncertainty and not using the car much I might as well keep it another year.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Our 2020 Ateca is a five year keep, so yes I will be extending the warranty. Worth it for peace of mind, despite the fact that the car will only have about 30k miles on it at five years old

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I have taken the extended warranty twice, first year it was high level brake light, cost less than warranty price but this year if was a new led headlight, win win on that claim, at about £3 a week it seems worth it to me, although it means dealer servicing at higher costs than indie.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I can over two cars on a breakdown policy for a lot less the the difference in servicing costs, hourly rates charged by franchises are suddenly going through the roof, last place I worked in have raised their rate £30 + vat! no wage rise though.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise