F1 2012

hakkow

KitCar Wanabee Racer
Jun 5, 2009
Netherlands
www.xclusion.nl
I noticed there not much F1 talk going on here.. No F1 fans / enthousiasts here?

The season so far is looking to be a nice one. Red bull isn't the only fast car in the field anymore, even though Vettel still is leading the championship. Mclaren seems to have a decent car this year, bringing Hamilton to second place so far followed by Webber in 3rd place.

Räikkönen is back this year, and improving his pace with each race weekend. He finished second last race.

Weather is always a big thing in Formula One. Rain can make or break the race, but a rain race is always a good show for the viewers.

[Shameless mode]
I've created a weather forecast app for android. It tells the weather forecast 10 days ahead of the race weekend. It's free, so check it out ;)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.Xclusion.F1Weather
[/Shameless mode]

Now for the upcoming Spain GP rain is expected during the race. Training and qualification seems to become dry days. I think it will be an exciting race next Sunday!

How the F1 spirit here on SCN? Are you all waving the McLaren flag?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yep, I love F1 and will be watching as usual on my Sky+. I'm a big Mclaren/Hamilton fan as well as Räikkönen. I've seen F1 in the flesh and the noise was amazing.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I think a lot of people were put out by it going to Sky, but it does seem to be quite an entertaining start to the season. With the smaller manufacturers managing to get their cars further up the leaderboard than previous years it's definitely worth watching.

If Perez hadn't pushed it slightly too hard I reckon he'd have been top dog at Malaysia, and the two Lotus drivers did well last race. I wonder if we are starting to see a (reasonably) level playing field in terms of car technology?

Pete.

May 1, 2010
Aberdeen
I'm a big fan of F1 to.
This season has had great start with different winners in every race,
Also I got tickets for the silverstone GP this year And camping across the road from the circuit
:D

hakkow

KitCar Wanabee Racer
Jun 5, 2009
Netherlands
www.xclusion.nl
I didn't know F1 went to Sky.. guess that cause a lot of people to not be able to watch it.. that's a shame really..

Here on the other side of the water we get F1, in HD, in the standard TV offer.

Nice to see there are more people here in to F1, even though Sky makes it difficult to watch for a lot of people.
My guess for the season right now; Vettel will take the trophy again, closely followed by Hamilton and third.. maybe Raikonnen..

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
i'm a massive f1 fan had sky fitted two months ago cause f1 has moved to sky so the bbc can focus on the olympics this year. hoping that maclaren/hamilton or button get the championship this year, i dont think vettel will take the title this year but i see raikonnen as runney up.

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
I noticed there not much F1 talk going on here.. No F1 fans / enthousiasts here?

How the F1 spirit here on SCN? Are you all waving the McLaren flag?

for a brand with 'sporting' pretensions you're right about the lack of Motorsport threads or interest in Motorsport in general :shrug:

as for your predictions, don't hold your breath too long :)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Certainly not waving the Mclaren flag here

Long Term Schumacher fan here, i was just starting to watch F1 when he debuted

Naturally been a Ferrari fan most of my life but now Supporting Mercedes AMG GP, I also support Red Bull Why? Because Red Bull are my local team in MK and i actually like Seb

hakkow

KitCar Wanabee Racer
Jun 5, 2009
Netherlands
www.xclusion.nl
for a brand with 'sporting' pretensions you're right about the lack of Motorsport threads or interest in Motorsport in general :shrug:

as for your predictions, don't hold your breath too long :)

Yeah, Seat should focus more on motorsports. How about an F1 team?
Unfortunatly VW said that's not going to happen, and I'm afraid Seat has little to say about the direction of the brand inside the VAG group. It would be great though :D

As for Monaco; The current weather forecasts predict heavy rain for the qualification, en mild rain for the training and race. This could become an interesting one.

Last year the race was red flagged, but I can't really remember why.. Anyone here with a fresh memory?

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Another F1 fan here although work and being away this year have meant I've only seen one race and that was after 24hours travelling so fell asleep half way through. However I did get to go to the Force India aero testing at Kemble the other day. They weren't giving it full beans but the sound close up is amazing
20120517_134045.jpg

20120517_144143.jpg

20120517_134055.jpg

20120517_111209.jpg

Videos are all in 1080p if your connection is fast enough
Idling in tent
Pulling away

Couldn't really see much of the actual straight line testing though
Aero testing

hakkow

KitCar Wanabee Racer
Jun 5, 2009
Netherlands
www.xclusion.nl
They let you get this close? Wish we had a test-worthy track here..

Wow that sound! Had my earplugs in, thought i'd set the volume to 20% or something and still to loud! :lol:

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
My girlfriends friend who invited me knew the driver, he used to race for her Dads team and he just let them know we would be popping over. At first we stayed out the way until we were invited into the tent. Most people were busy and just ignored us but I got to speak to the driver and a few of the team.

The sound was just amazing, all the crew had earphones on or fingers in their ears but my hearing is shot from working on aircraft so I just took it all in!

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
Yeah, Seat should focus more on motorsports. How about an F1 team?
Unfortunatly VW said that's not going to happen, and I'm afraid Seat has little to say about the direction of the brand inside the VAG group. It would be great though :D

As for Monaco; The current weather forecasts predict heavy rain for the qualification, en mild rain for the training and race. This could become an interesting one.

Last year the race was red flagged, but I can't really remember why.. Anyone here with a fresh memory?

last year in the monaco gp the qualifying was red flagged due to saubar driver perez crashed coming out of the tunnel i cant remember the race being red flagged at all.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I used to be a big F1 fan - Lotus was my favourite team, even though it has been a long time since they were competitive. (I know, Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious). I'd watch the races on TV, and I remember being transfixed by Ayrton Senna's opening lap in the wet GP at Donnington in 1993.

However Senna had already lost any respect as a man by his deliberate crash into Prost on the first corner of the Japanese GP in 1990. That was unforgiveable, and marked the man as unbalanced, arrogant and totally self-absorbed, caring nothing for anyone around him, fellow driver or not. A talented and stylish driver, but an appalling human being.

Since then we've had Schumacher, the arrogant kraut, bullying his way round the circuit and deliberately crashing into his opponents twice, following his idol Senna's example (Hill and Villeneuve). Despicable.

In his trail we've had another arrogant kraut, waving his finger in the air,trying to emulate Schumacher's style. I can't forget him taking off teammate Webber and subsequently blaming him for the accident.

It is obviously important to be totally self-confident when racing, to believe yourself to be better than the rest, to be capable of winning. But not at the cost of your humanity.

I gave up watching the races as they'd become processional and more show business than sport. Nowadays I read the BBC "as it happened" summary after the event.

This year, it seems to be much less predictable than it has for a long time, mainly down to the tyres, which have been engineered to be very difficult to get good grip out of without wearing them out too soon. I'm happy that this has opened up the competition, but it seems crazy that the it has to be hedged about with so many technical limitations in order to provide a show for the benefit of the ringmaster's bank account.

One thing I find disappointing, the victors now seem to find it acceptable to copy the Vettel Finger. That little bit of boasting is enough to put me off watching them, I'm afraid.

hakkow

KitCar Wanabee Racer
Jun 5, 2009
Netherlands
www.xclusion.nl
last year in the monaco gp the qualifying was red flagged due to saubar driver perez crashed coming out of the tunnel i cant remember the race being red flagged at all.

I looked it up. The race was indeed red flagged because of a pile up near the end of the race. This helped Vettel take the victory cause he was able to change his tires. Hamilton had his rear wing fixed during the red flag period

here's a clip of the crash: http://youtu.be/DuskL-87Uqk

I used to be a big F1 fan - Lotus was my favourite team, even though it has been a long time since they were competitive. (I know, Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious). I'd watch the races on
ng them, I'm afraid.

1993.. I was 6 then :lol:

I'm also glad the championship has opened up, but I can remember we have seen this before and at the end of the season it became predictable. let's just hope it stays this unpredictable and I personally hope the races become more exiting..

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
I looked it up. The race was indeed red flagged because of a pile up near the end of the race. This helped Vettel take the victory cause he was able to change his tires. Hamilton had his rear wing fixed during the red flag period

here's a clip of the crash: http://youtu.be/DuskL-87Uqk

1993.. I was 6 then :lol:

I'm also glad the championship has opened up, but I can remember we have seen this before and at the end of the season it became predictable. let's just hope it stays this unpredictable and I personally hope the races become more exiting..

yeah can remember that now vettel change his tyres & hamilton had his rear wing fixed

it should be an interesting season if we keep getting different race winners every race.

Last edited:

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Unfortunately, looks like we won't have a female F1 driver this year after all;

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100890

She only recently signed for them and couldn't sit in for Timo in Valencia as she was still waiting on her superlicence to come through.

Hope she pulls through, sounds like it was one of those freak silly accidents; like Eddie Kidd falling off his bike at 10 mph and being permanently brain damaged.

Thoughts and hopes for full recovery with her and her family.

hakkow

KitCar Wanabee Racer
Jun 5, 2009
Netherlands
www.xclusion.nl
Yes, what a shocking event that was.
I was listening to a radio report from Chris Mann just now, and thinking about how this coud have happend
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YyLOmQ434Hs)

She was supposed to put the car in to neutral, so the crew could push it backwards. i think she maybe wasn't able to get it in to neutral (but thinking she did) and released the clutch causing the car to drive away.

I don't know if these cars have a clutch these days, but they say the car is accelerating before it hit the truck, and listening to the radio report, you can't hear the engine revving before the hit..

any thoughts?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.