F1 Rule Changes

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Right, well the FIA have released the cost cap and other rule changes for 2010.

Will get onto the budget stuff in a minute, but the biggest change other than that is

From 2010 refuelling during the race will be banned (though pits for tyre changes still needed/allowed) and there's also a ban on tyre blankets and any other tyre warming device (all other devices than blankets already banned)

13 teams are to be allowed into the 2010 Grand Prix and have a choice of operating under a £40m per year budget cap, or an unlimited budget.

Teams opting for an unlimited budget have restrictions enforced on them (mainly engine rev limiters and testing)

If you operate under the £40m budget you are allowed
- Movable wings front and rear
- An engine which is not subject to a rev limit
- Unlimited out-of-season track testing
- No restriction on scale or speed of wind tunnel testing

The £40m budget does not apply to:
- Marketing and hospitality
- Remuneration for test or race drivers, including any young driver programmes
- Fines or penalties imposed by the FIA
- Engine costs (for 2010 only)
- Any expenditure which the team can demonstrate has no influence on its performance in the Championship
- Dividends (including any tax thereon) paid from profits relating to participation in the Championship

Be interesting to see what teams opt for what limit (can see Force India going for the £40m budget) and how they find loopholes in the rules.

New teams to F1 will also be offered $10m per year, plus free transport of 2 chassis and upto 10,000kg freight as well as 20 economy class air travel tickets for all events held outside Europe.

Full details on these rule changes and other amendments to the rules will be available shortly :)

Full list of teams and drivers to be announced 12 June 2009

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Interesting stuff. wonder if Ferrari will be included in these rules :cartman:

Something needed to be done with respect to budget. McLaren have proven you can go from pretty uncompetitive to right in the mix (unless you drive like Kovalainen) with a couple of races when the budget pot is unlimited.

andycupra

status subject to change
will it lead to a 2 tier system... if you went for the unlimited option, then managed to get your cars to the front, you would be pieved if they then adjusted the restrictions to bring you back down.

More standard parts is the way to go i think. - for example, why is there not a standard Kers system? the amount of money spent on developing these so far must be massive.

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
will it lead to a 2 tier system... if you went for the unlimited option, then managed to get your cars to the front, you would be pieved if they then adjusted the restrictions to bring you back down.

More standard parts is the way to go i think. - for example, why is there not a standard Kers system? the amount of money spent on developing these so far must be massive.

There has been murmurings of a standard KERS system - the reasoning behind not doing it yet is to make F1 tech more applicable to road-cars - if the teams are in an "arms-race" to develop their own then there will be much bigger leaps in advances in the technology than if there was a single supplier.

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts

I think some teams are rumoured to have spent $40m+ in the past year on the KERS system alone!

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Aston Martin and Lola to come back!?!

Should be good. Would be interesting to know what the teams have spent each year in the last 5 seasons. Just to compare this budget cap.

Interesting.....I'll say that...........

DMC1987

Jenson for World Champion
Aug 26, 2008
Hertfordshire
As long as the races dont turn into an economy drive to save fuel costs like on that top gear episode to Blackpool!!!

YIN

Leon cupra Mk2
Oct 6, 2003
Dudley
www.futuremark.com
9.1 Transmission types :
No transmission system may permit more than two wheels to be driven.

(This Article will not apply to Cost-Regulated Teams.)

9.9.1 The KERS must connect at any point in the rear wheel drivetrain before the differential.
(The restriction to only the rear wheel drivetrain will not apply to Cost-Regulated Teams)

4 wheel drive for cost regulated teams then:cartman:

Full regs here http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...30-04-2009.pdf

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Technical regulations showing alterations from 2009 is also available here - http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/839C2B08FE7FE57EC12575A80045896E/$FILE/1-2010%20F1%20TECHNICAL%20REGULATIONS%2030-04-2009.pdf

Minimum weight has also increased by 15kg which should help people like Kubica.

Cost capped teams are allowed twice the amount of KERS energy released per lap (800kJ compared to 400kJ)

Seems to be the other main changes to the Technical Regs :)

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Where you going to magic the money from a £40m budget to go unlimited testing and the money to replace uncapped engines that'll tend to envitably fail more than capped ones beyond 2010?

A two teir system wont work - or there's a not enough insentive to operate under such a budget cap(albeit going bust lol), I say reducing the base weight between the teir's would be more effect than movable wings

Losing tyre warmers sounds like a good idea but Bridgstone will have to produce a tyre thats got a greater operating temperature range = more cost:shrug:

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
I think McLaren especially are hoping for a bit more negotiation on the figure - although the technical regs have been amended to support the budget-capped teams, the actual final budget figure hasn't been agreed.

McLaren don't want a 2-tier system and would probably go under the budget cap, if the cap was more realistic (to them) - I'm imagining if they agree to a change of the cap to the £60-70m area then McLaren will run under the new rules as well :)

jamiebennett81

I can understand their point of trying to make it more interesting/competitive BUT....

all I can see are the teams and their lawyers finding loopholes around the new rules and exploiting them

then it all kicking off again i.e. like the diffusers, and back to square one:rolleyes:

sorry for the negative view, when they are trying to bring in positive changes to the motorsport, but I can see some issues coming.....

I really hope teams just "get on with it" though and dont try to exploit the positive changes

mikem1

2 Tier F1 isn't going to work, the only reason for it's introduction is to drive a wedge between FOTA members. Exactly what the FIA and Bernie want.

Last edited by a moderator: