Factory tints on rear screen

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
I've got a load of scratches on the outside of the rear screen of my FR hatchback. Makes a horrific noise whenever the rear wiper goes on, which is usually followed by the banshee like wail from my 6 week old son.

The car is fully loaded, so i'm guessing these are factory fitted tints on the rear screen. Wondering if these can be removed and replaced, or whether the tint is impregnated into the screen and it's the actual glass that has scratched.

If it's the latter, I don't know how the hell it could have got so badly scratched - unless the previous owner used to park it up against a cave ceiling!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I've got a load of scratches on the outside of the rear screen of my FR hatchback. Makes a horrific noise whenever the rear wiper goes on, which is usually followed by the banshee like wail from my 6 week old son.

The car is fully loaded, so i'm guessing these are factory fitted tints on the rear screen. Wondering if these can be removed and replaced, or whether the tint is impregnated into the screen and it's the actual glass that has scratched.

If it's the latter, I don't know how the hell it could have got so badly scratched - unless the previous owner used to park it up against a cave ceiling!

The tint's on the inside of the window not the outside.

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
Thanks for the quick response.

That's a disappointment. Did Seat decide they could save money by using soft perspex instead of glass!!!

20160911_111244.jpg

Looks like i'll have to invest in a glass polisher.

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
Not contamination, it's scratches in the glass, some really quite deep.

I can understand how the idiotic previous owner driving along motorways constantly wiping his filthy back window could have caused the scratches under the wiper, but i've no idea how they managed to get the more horizontal scratches in there.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Not contamination, it's scratches in the glass, some really quite deep.

I can understand how the idiotic previous owner driving along motorways constantly wiping his filthy back window could have caused the scratches under the wiper, but i've no idea how they managed to get the more horizontal scratches in there.

Probably caused by grit on the glass when scraping ice off. My missus did the same to our windscreen.

If you can catch the edge of the scratch with a finger nail then you will be up against it trying to polish them out. I tried with some proper cerium oxide polish and a rotary polisher but it only improved the lighter scratches.

Last edited:

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
Ah bugger, maybe I need to look at getting a replacement screen from a breaker... or remove the rear wiper.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
If you want to properly clean the glass to survey the damage once you washed car put some car pro eraser on then buff with kitchen roll that'll properly clean windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
Had a local detailer have a go with some proper glass polishing stuff. He must have spent nearly 3 hours on it, and it didn't make a blind bit of difference. Poor guy wouldn't take any payment, so I had to gift him some bits.

Just going to have to live with it. Utter rubbish.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Maybe speak to a detailer a run over with a machine with a cutting agent might do something with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
He did! Used a machine polisher with a specific pad/polish designed to polish scratches out of glass!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Do you have a tolerable excess for glass claims on your car insurance and do you have access to a centre punch? ;)

:D

If you haven't a centre punch, just leave a old box wrapped up like a Christmas present on the rear parcel shelf and park up in the least desirable part of a local town for a few hours ;)

Or you could pop in to your local autoglass or similar , I had a side window replace that had some scratches on it -nothing as bad as yours - they replaced it, billed my insurance company under my windscreen cover and I just paid the £50 excess.
Autoglass classed it as glass change for safety reasons due to Un repairable glass damage or something like that :)

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
Will wait and see if the rear heated screen starts working with the replacement relay. If not, it might be time for a new screen.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise