Fitting an Fr rear bumper with pdc’s

Jun 25, 2023
My daughter has a 1.4tsi and is in the process of a few mods, she is waiting on delivery of a used Fr rear bumper which comes with parking sensors. Is it possible to get these working as she doesn’t have pdc from factory. If it is possible what is the best way forward? How much of a ball ache is it for a short tempered father to do?
Would they show on the headunit or be just a buzzer?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yes, you can fit sensors.

The factory system is a Cobra/Virgn system. What I would do is buy a system and fit it using the existing holes. It'll cost less than £100.

If you wire it to the reversing light you'll get the beeper when you put it into reverse. You can run a cable to the head unit which will mute the stereo when you go into reverse. I have both and I wouldn't bother as it's not worth the hassle. It won't show on the display but that doesn't matter either. You're not looking at the screen while you're reversing, you're looking out of the windows,

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The bumper and sensors are just part of the install.

On top of the bumper and sensors you will need a wiring kit.
You will also need the control module and some installation under the dash.
Finally it will need coding in to the head unit so it shows on screen.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The Cobra kit of the easiest way to go. The sensors themselves are not expensive so trying to buy all of the other parts separately is pointless and will probably end up costing more. Plus you don't know if the sensors on the bumper just now are all good.

Jun 25, 2023
Yes, you can fit sensors.

The factory system is a Cobra/Virgn system. What I would do is buy a system and fit it using the existing holes. It'll cost less than £100.

If you wire it to the reversing light you'll get the beeper when you put it into reverse. You can run a cable to the head unit which will mute the stereo when you go into reverse. I have both and I wouldn't bother as it's not worth the hassle. It won't show on the display but that doesn't matter either. You're not looking at the screen while you're reversing, you're looking out of the windows,
cheers for that info, do you have any idea what kit I need to purchase? I’m hoping for an identical size sensor so I can just remove the originals and install the kit ones

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I’m hoping for an identical size sensor so I can just remove the originals and install the kit ones

Cobra 0394 0358​

This should be a perfect fit. Most sensors are 17mm and this is the sensors fitted at the factory, probably. LINK

You'll need to pick off all the old adhesive, the kit comes with new adhesive rings. Paint the sensors before fitting. The kit comes with a mask. Don't worry about getting paint on the silicone sealing rings, it just picks off.

Make sure to orient the sensor so that the cable will point downwards, it helps keep water out.

Test fit the sensor without taking the backing off the sticky ring to get the depth right. Tip: Set the depth of the sensor so that it's very slightly below the surface of the bumper. If it's level with the surface of the bumper it looks right, if it's below the surface of the bumper it looks right but if you accidentally set the sensor proud of the bumper it looks wrong.

Reactions: Ekki.F31
Jun 25, 2023

Cobra 0394 0358​

This should be a perfect fit. Most sensors are 17mm and this is the sensors fitted at the factory, probably. LINK

You'll need to pick off all the old adhesive, the kit comes with new adhesive rings. Paint the sensors before fitting. The kit comes with a mask. Don't worry about getting paint on the silicone sealing rings, it just picks off.

Make sure to orient the sensor so that the cable will point downwards, it helps keep water out.

Test fit the sensor without taking the backing off the sticky ring to get the depth right. Tip: Set the depth of the sensor so that it's very slightly below the surface of the bumper. If it's level with the surface of the bumper it looks right, if it's below the surface of the bumper it looks right but if you accidentally set the sensor proud of the bumper it looks wrong.
Brilliant you’ve been a great help

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Brilliant you’ve been a great help
Double check your hole are 17mm, they should be. If they're slightly bigger it won't make any difference. When you fit the sensors to the bumper take your time to get them centered as once the sticky pad hits the bumper, it ain't coming off again!

Jun 25, 2023
Fitted the cobra sensors into the fr bumper and a maxton design diffuser(which is a cheaply made, badly formed piece of **** £165, with silver self tapers, at least supply black ones) and fitted to the car.
Now I just need to splice into the reverse light cable(grey/white) at the bulb. Where is the easiest point in the car to find this? Is there an easy option rather than the tailgate?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise